Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Jimmy Vesey to go UFA, then sign with Leafs?

Banned

Default Re: [Rumor] Jimmy Vesey to go UFA, then sign with Leafs?

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Why do people keep asking this?
    The only era where people did NOT want to be associated with the Leafs was the Ballard era. And he was a nutjob.

Why do you think Babcock came to Toronto? He could have gotten more money from Buffalo.
    How many times do you need to see on tv where players say it was their dream to play for the Leafs, grew up cheering for them, etc etc. ?
    Same reason why they are always the strongest tv draw, regardless of how crappy they are.

People want to come to the Leafs, because they are the (or at least "one of the") most iconic franchises in the NHL. It's that simple.
    Stop with the petty jealousy, already.
    Bomm is 100% right. Players are always said to be going to Toronto and then pretty much all of them don't. What does Bomm have to be jealous about? I don't see any evidence that players actually want to come to Toronto. The Leafs have barely been able to acquire any free agents or make trades in the last 10+ years. And we're not the Ballard era. The only one was Clarkson who went there for the money. If Toronto was an attractive destination, a lot of high profile free agents would be signing there as there are a lot of players from the GTA in the NHL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Boston has some pretty strong ties to Harvard.

One could argue they are for sure tampering.
    And the Leafs employ his Dad and brother. Same shit. There will never be any tampering evidence.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    And the Leafs employ his Dad and brother. Same shit. There will never be any tampering evidence.
    Exactly.

Dobber Sports Deity

Yes, NCAA players lose their eligibility if the team pays them to attend camp. But regardless they still took four years to develop, mentor, and train him etc.
    I wasn't saying he was getting paid to attend, as in a salary. I was saying they paid for his travel/meals (incidentals, etc) to attend the camp. I am not sure if that's what you meant or not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Pretty sure he's right.

NCAA players aren't allowed to take any form of payment from anyone pretty much. If a team paid for expenses pretty sure that would be against NCAA rules.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Pretty sure he's right.

NCAA players aren't allowed to take any form of payment from anyone pretty much. If a team paid for expenses pretty sure that would be against NCAA rules.
    Ya, you could be right. I know the NCAA is pretty strict on that shit.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I bet the player doesn't pay for it. Either the school will pay for it and get reimbursed for the team, or the team will pay for it in some back door way, but I don't believe for a second the player covers all his travel expenses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I bet the player doesn't pay for it. Either the school will pay for it and get reimbursed for the team, or the team will pay for it in some back door way, but I don't believe for a second the player covers all his travel expenses.
    The agents probably pay it as they already pay the agent

Dobber Sports Titan

“Enter this contest for a free trip to training camp. Oh look you’re a winner!”
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The agents probably pay it as they already pay the agent
    Sure that works. It doesn't really matter to me who pays it. I'm certain the player doesn't regardless of NCAA rules. There's always ways around them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sure that works. It doesn't really matter to me who pays it. I'm certain the player doesn't regardless of NCAA rules. There's always ways around them
    i know for a fact a Sens prospect didn't come to development camp because he didn't want to pay for it. Robbie Baillargeon.

Dobber Sports Deity

i know for a fact a Sens prospect didn't come to development camp because he didn't want to pay for it. Robbie Baillargeon.
    This could be due to Melnyk being cheap and simply not wanting to pay for him because he wasnt a high draft pick. LOL!

Oy Vey. Fine.

If a team wants a player in camp, they will find a financial way to make sure they are there.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the Vesey situation, after reading his Player's Tribune article I like this kid so much less.

Banned

Well, touché ... with such specific evidence like "pretty much" and "I don't see" and "barely" and "a lot" and "a lot" again...

lol

Absurd.
    I guess Babcock better strap on the skates himself since no one wants to play in Toronto.
    (I'm sorry that Bozak chose the Leafs over the Sens and it's affecting your ability to be rational, but don't take it out on me. You can have him.)
    What's absurd? Name me all these great players who have willingly come to the Leafs in the last decade. Jason Blake and David Clarkson? I don't have to provide the evidence, YOU DO because you're the one who said players WANT to play in Toronto.

People told us that Corey Perry and John Tavares would be Leafs by now. People have been saying this about GTA stars for years and years and years.

You're out to lunch here and you know it. You have no solid arguments. The Leafs are currently like any other Canadian club. They are not a special franchise that players want to go to at all costs.

Corey Perry and John Tavares are irrelevant, since they've never had the opportunity to come to Toronto.

I already gave you an example that you ignored - Bozak could have signed with anyone. He chose Toronto. Over Ottawa. Because he wanted to play in a real hockey city.
    Why is Zaitsev going to sign in Toronto if no one wants to play there?
    Why did Babcock go there if he'll never have players wanting to play there?

Joseph, Belfour, Roberts, Niewendyk, Bozak, Corson, - Toronto has a long list of successful free agent signings. And a long list of unsuccessful ones - Gustavsson, Clarkson, Komisarek... but all those players were coveted at the time of their signing... and they CHOSE Toronto.

You're trying to make a point based on petty jealousy, and it's incredibly childish.
    I can understand the bitterness, Ottawa has never signed... well... anybody... and it's got to be frustrating to constantly see players wanting to go to an iconic franchise like the Leafs, regardless of how bad they often are.
    And quietly mock "franchises" like the Sens.
    Lots of players have chosen lots of places. So.

Perry had a chance. He was headed to UFA without a contract and chose to stay in Anaheim. If you're going to parade "amateurs" well, Chicago got Panarin and that's about the only real KHL success story. Who cares about Gustavsson/Zaitsev. The Flames signed Roman Cervenka one time so they must be a franchise as enriched in tradition and history as TML if that's your argument.. Shayne Corson? Tyler Bozak? Those are your "superstar" success stories? Man you're reaching lol. You're calling Joe Nieuwendyk at age 37 a highly coveted free agent signing? On a one year deal?

Dobber Sports Titan

I think the penguins are really the only team (not really anymore) that attract FA solely based on the team. Everyone would want to be on Chicago, but cap issues. Now players don’t go to teams based on the team, it’s more on the money when it comes to free agency.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll