Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Jimmy Vesey to go UFA, then sign with Leafs?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [Rumor] Jimmy Vesey to go UFA, then sign with Leafs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    If he was so high on Buffalo, then why didn't he just sign with them once they had his negotiation rights? I still think the Leafs are very much in the running for Vesey's talents.
    Because I think he wants to go to Boston. I think that's where he's always wanted to go and still wants to go there. Unfortunately, he can't negotiate with the Bruins until mid-August to see where he stands with them.

I am not saying Toronto is completely out of the picture, but I do think Boston is his preference and Buffalo would be a nice landing spot too. The benefit of Buffalo as a fall back option, he's getting to see up close and personal what they are like for personnel, training, etc. That could be a good thing, or it could also be a bad thing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

The deal to Buffalo was a gamble Murray took, hoping Eichel etc could convince him to come. Didn't work. Vesey knows exactly where he wants to go and it ain't Buffalo(otherwise he would've signed no question). To hell with tampering these guys have talked to teams already.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    The deal to Buffalo was a gamble Murray took, hoping Eichel etc could convince him to come. Didn't work. Vesey knows exactly where he wants to go and it ain't Buffalo(otherwise he would've signed no question). To hell with tampering these guys have talked to teams already.
    No question? Article stated he wanted to see depth charts, to see how he fits in. July 1st (and subsequent signings) has a huge impact on things. I'm not saying he will sign in Buffalo, but to say Buffalo isn't in the running at all is foolishness.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

When he told Nashville that he didn't want to sign there, did he not say his intent was to sign in Boston. Or was that just speculation from the guys on Hockey Central?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    No question? Article stated he wanted to see depth charts, to see how he fits in. July 1st (and subsequent signings) has a huge impact on things. I'm not saying he will sign in Buffalo, but to say Buffalo isn't in the running at all is foolishness.
    Didn't Nashville offer him top 6 minutes for the playoffs though? Pretty tough to go much up the depth chart than that. I'd say a pretty big part of his decision is playing where he wants, but also getting himself into a good situation. He likely has one destination in mind, and unless that option turns out to be a bust where he'll end up getting fewer minutes, he's going to end up there. Not sure if that's Boston or Toronto or what, but from the looks of things, it's not Buffalo.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Didn't Nashville offer him top 6 minutes for the playoffs though? Pretty tough to go much up the depth chart than that. I'd say a pretty big part of his decision is playing where he wants, but also getting himself into a good situation. He likely has one destination in mind, and unless that option turns out to be a bust where he'll end up getting fewer minutes, he's going to end up there. Not sure if that's Boston or Toronto or what, but from the looks of things, it's not Buffalo.
    Well offering him a top 6 playoff spot might not mean much when it's said and done. Maybe he was worried that he wouldn't be given enough opportunity to make mistakes as he entered the league and that going to a playoff team was too much pressure off the start? Who knows.

I think you're right. He has a team in mind, whether that is Boston (my bet) or Toronto, or some mystery team no one is aware of.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Deity

There is nothing any NHL team can offer Vesey that Nashville, and now Buffalo hasn't to this point. Financially, he's only eligible to sign a max ELC and basically can be offered a top six role. It appears to be location and playing partners that can really be different. Nashville has a pretty solid core to work with, and so does Buffalo but so far, Vesey must not like what he sees (at least not yet in Buffalo).

It pretty much comes down to location, location, location for Vesey. I guess we will find out in about 5-6 weeks where he really wants to play. FWIW, there's nothing to say that he still doesn't sign with Nashville after August 15th. Just sayin'.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    There is nothing any NHL team can offer Vesey that Nashville, and now Buffalo hasn't to this point. Financially, he's only eligible to sign a max ELC and basically can be offered a top six role. It appears to be location and playing partners that can really be different. Nashville has a pretty solid core to work with, and so does Buffalo but so far, Vesey must not like what he sees (at least not yet in Buffalo).

It pretty much comes down to location, location, location for Vesey. I guess we will find out in about 5-6 weeks where he really wants to play. FWIW, there's nothing to say that he still doesn't sign with Nashville after August 15th. Just sayin'.
    True enough. He seems to have excellent situations in both Nashville and especially Buffalo, but obviously something else is driving his decision process.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    True enough. He seems to have excellent situations in both Nashville and especially Buffalo, but obviously something else is driving his decision process.
    Excellent situations to some, but maybe not to others. I'd imagine that many players have different ideas of what makes an ideal situation.

Yes Nashville could provide him with better financial options through burning a year off his deal and immediate top 6 playing time in the playoffs. But maybe he didn't want to begin his NHL career by being thrown into such a high pressure situation? Maybe management had come across to him a certain way that turned him off to playing for them.

Maybe his ideal situation has to do with being near his family and friends in Boston? Maybe he wants to chance to play in a bigger market than Nashville. Maybe he sees Toronto and sees an opportunity to make money through marketing that he wouldn't get anywhere else. Maybe he doesn't see either Nashville or Buffalo as true Cup contenders, and he'd prefer to sign with a team he thinks has the best chance at a cup, a team that has so far not popped up in rumors (one like Chicago or LA or Pittsburgh).

I think there is so much more that goes into this decision than people are letting on. It's not just "Nashville is a winning team, Buffalo is a team on the rise, Boston is the home team". There could be many different factors that are driving this decision.

Ultimately I think it's Boston's to lose, but I'm just spitballing here
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    Excellent situations to some, but maybe not to others. I'd imagine that many players have different ideas of what makes an ideal situation.

Yes Nashville could provide him with better financial options through burning a year off his deal and immediate top 6 playing time in the playoffs. But maybe he didn't want to begin his NHL career by being thrown into such a high pressure situation? Maybe management had come across to him a certain way that turned him off to playing for them.

Maybe his ideal situation has to do with being near his family and friends in Boston? Maybe he wants to chance to play in a bigger market than Nashville. Maybe he sees Toronto and sees an opportunity to make money through marketing that he wouldn't get anywhere else. Maybe he doesn't see either Nashville or Buffalo as true Cup contenders, and he'd prefer to sign with a team he thinks has the best chance at a cup, a team that has so far not popped up in rumors (one like Chicago or LA or Pittsburgh).

I think there is so much more that goes into this decision than people are letting on. It's not just "Nashville is a winning team, Buffalo is a team on the rise, Boston is the home team". There could be many different factors that are driving this decision.

Ultimately I think it's Boston's to lose, but I'm just spitballing here
    100% agree. I've been offered jobs that I didn't take because it wasn't my ideal location, or the situation wasn't right; so why assume that NHL players aren't doing the same thing, right? Not every UFA is going to sign for max dollars just because they can (Stamkos). There are always other things that they're considering, and that'll never be a bad thing. Some people want to make as much cash as they can, since it's not a game you can play forever, some people value the championship the most, and some people have cities they like more, or have family in etc. that draw them to specific teams. All the speculation in the world won't get us inside these people's heads, which I guess is why we sometimes get blindsided by the choices they end up making.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Initiate

Nothing we didn't already assume but Vesey has publicly stated that he will be talking with the Bruins in August. Also mentioned a friendship with Krug.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Sage

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/J...uins-are-on-it

Some interesting tidbits there. Gotta think Boston is at the top of the list.

Dobber Sports Sage

Vesey has included Chicago as a team he'll meet with. There is a spot on Toews's line open. Hawks will have as attractive an offer as any team except maybe Pitt. But c'mon- where would you rather live Pittsburgh or Chicago?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Icon

I know I've been looking at this situation with black and gold blinders on but damn these quotes make it sound like Boston is a lock:

“I’ve said it all along that Boston is definitely on my list of teams that I’d like to talk to. It’s a team that I’ve rooted for all my life, and it’s a team that I watched win the Stanley Cup in 2011,” said Vesey, who finished with 24 goals and 46 points in 33 games with the Crimson as a senior last season. “I’ll definitely be meeting with Boston in August.

“I was a huge Joe Thornton fan growing up. He wore No. 19. I wear No. 19. He was my favorite player. I got to know Torey Krug a little bit through playing with him at the world championships last year. So it would be really cool to play with Torey and put on the Bruins jersey. It’s the team that I’ve watched for my whole life.”
    “I work out here in Foxboro with the Hayes brothers, and I’ve known them all my life. I have a good relationship with Jimmy, and he had nothing but good things to say about [the Boston Bruins],” said Vesey to CSN. “To a little bit of an extent I’m a homebody and I definitely have a big crew of family and friends in the Boston area, so it would be comforting to have them around. Like I said, a lot of things are on my mind right now [headed into Aug. 15].”
    Hopefully Sweeney doesn't **** it up.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Monster

Rangers & Blackhawks are the 2 finalists to sign him.