Thread: recently completed roto draft, more insight wanted

Dobber Sports Star

Default recently completed roto draft, more insight wanted

8-team 23 player roster updated daily. 82 game per position limit
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4 D, 2 Util, 2 G, 6 Bn

G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHP, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

I had the backside of the snake (8th/9th overall) and im in the same league as other dobber members typo88 and nicholasjodie

C: Lecavalier(2), E.Staal(4), Horcoff(11)
    LW: Frolov(7), Elias(13), Whitney(14)
    RW: St.Louis(3), Hemsky(6), PM.Bouchard(15)
    D: Niedermayer(9), Corvo(10), Bouwmeester(19), Redden(20)
    Util: Gomez(12), Hartnell(22)
    Bn: Sundin(17), Sakic(18), Havlat(16), Naslund(21)

G: Luongo(1), Osgood(5)
    Bn: Bryzgalov(8), Conklin(23)

The reason defenseman (and some other all-around stud players) were picked so late is because about half of our league were new rotisserie and the other half had some experience. Thus, some players were undervalued (mostly defense/goalies hence luongo slippage) and I adjusted my draft strategy accordingly as I knew I could pickup players in later rounds than theyd normally be drafted in.

Overall, i dont think i have any major positional weaknesses with LW being the weakest of the forwards. However, thats pretty much because i decided to win the goalie categories outright by picking Bryzgalov.

+/- and PIMs should be a recurring problem throughout the year but it was hard to avoid given i picked Lecavalier as my first forward and St.louis was the best RW left. However, both shoudl still provide the elusive SHP especially if they return to their 06-07 ways.

Other than that, my statistical categories should be fine. But i may pickup a PIM-heavy 5th defenseman when yahoo\'s system is up and running

Im fairly confident at least 1 of Sundin/Sakic will return thus I picked both at the appropiate time in the draft.

Also, it was unintentional picking so many palyers from the same team slash linemates
    lecav/stlouis
    horcoff/hemsky
    estaal/whitney/corvo
    gomez/naslund/redden

I think im in good shape, anything i may have overthought that i should address before the season starts?
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well I think you self-assessed pretty decently - +/- and PIM\'s might be an issue for you. You need your goalscorers to score as well - one more distinct goal scorer would be nice - Nash comes to mind to beef up your LW a little and give you some PK as well if Hitchcock puts him there again.

I think there is a little wait and see on your team as it often is in 8 team leagues, but your Sundin, Sakic, Havlat picks are definitely that - could have more damn offense than you know what to do with. But as it stands without those guys you are likely not top of the league in offense unless everyone else is evenly spread around.

Bryzgalov could prove to be a great pick but I would sure like to see you with a definite upgrade there (Lundie, Nabbie, Fleury maybe) - the Osgood/Conks handcuff is very nice and with a deep bench you can afford it.

Out of curiosity, what is left out there on the wire of any signigicance at each position?

Dobber Sports Star

c mcdonald, cullen
    lw malone, sturm
    rw jason williams, knuble
    d liles, enstrom, hainsey, souray
    g legace, toskala, lehtonen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hmmm well not much but Malone and Souray might be worth a close eye. They will give you PIM\'s and they might come out hot - that Edmonton powerplay will be much better this year with Visnovsky dishing. Malone is iffy but he goes to the box and his offense is pretty decent - need to see how he gels with his new linemates first.

In your case I think you need to sit, wait and watch. You have a lot riding on 2 UFA\'s if they sign and play you have trade bait to upgrade, if they don\'t you move fast on Malone and Souray I think. And of course Havlat - he could be healthy and really explode - if he does - trade him fast.

Dobber Sports Star

thanks shoeless, hopefully sundin and sakic sign soon and would make the rest of my season ALOT easier

typo88

hopefully they both retire, havlat falls off a cliff and osgood is hit by a bus...

ps. as one can tell from our signatures, we are in the same league...

Dobber Sports Star

sakic back!!!
    im fairly certain sundin will be back. my gamble is paying off =D