Thread: Boo Varlamov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Angry Boo Varlamov

OK, I am getting really irritated with Varly. Start him - shelled. Sit him - shines.

I am in a keeper league
    G, A, .5 +-, .1 hits, .1 blocks
    2W, -1L, -1GA, .1 SV, 4SO

Team is
    Stamkos/Brassard/Carter/Gaudreau
    Zuccarello/Lee/Palat
    Johansen/Wheeler/MacKinnon
    Carlson/Byfuglien/Weber/Niskanen/Suter
    Price/Holtby
    Bench: Faulk/Galchenyuk/Stastny/Eberle/Anderson/Varlamov

Nick Foligno, Matt Duchene and Tomas Tatar are all free agents. I am also intrigued by Andrei Vasilevskiy. Should I pull the trigger on any of these or stay patient? I'm currently 40 points back of 1st.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Boo Varlamov

Meh. Never been a fan of the guy. Outside of his one great year, he's been average over a full season.

Dobber Sports Padawan

That team is NOT good, they've lost Stats and ROR which seem to be good possession driving Cs. That will lead to suckage if they are not properly replaced.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Giant

He is a good goalie, not an elite one. He can be pegged in the top-15 and sit anywhere from 10-15 IMO. With that in mind, he is not playing very well this year and his team is all over the place. I do think things will settle in for him and the team before Christmas, but don't expect him to get a 1.90 GAA and a .935 SV% going forward... I'm thinking something in the 2.40-2.45 GAA with a .913-.918 SV% and a couple of SO is something to expect when the year will be over.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

His elite season was an outlier. Otherwise, he's been a slightly above average 'tender. Without ROR and Stastny, Colorado is terrible, and I don't see that changing any time soon (their only blue-chip prospect is Rantanen and no quality FA will want to wait that long for a chance at the Cup).

In other words, I think you should jump ship and drop him for Foligno or Tatar.
    10 Team, Weekly H2H (Set Daily), 31-Player, No Cap, Dynasty League

Categories: G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, ATOI, SOG, W, S%, GAA

F: Crosby,
    Seguin, Kessel, Malkin, Tarasenko, Laine, Hall, Pacioretty, Panarin, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Eichel, Monahan, Krejci, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Drouin, S. Reinhart, Radulov

D: Karlsson, Hedman, Shattenkirk,
    Barrie, Hamilton, Gostisbehere, Vatanen

G: Rask, Fleury, Dubnyk, Schneider

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    That team is NOT good, they've lost Stats and ROR which seem to be good possession driving Cs. That will lead to suckage if they are not properly replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Giddy View Post
    His elite season was an outlier. Otherwise, he's been a slightly above average 'tender. Without ROR and Stastny, Colorado is terrible, and I don't see that changing any time soon (their only blue-chip prospect is Rantanen and no quality FA will want to wait that long for a chance at the Cup).

In other words, I think you should jump ship and drop him for Foligno or Tatar.
    Keep in mind guys, the've lost both ROR and Stastny but MacKinnon has finally emerged as a star and Landeskog is getting better and better. I still think there is a difference between a less experienced MacK + Landeskog combined with Stast and ROR vs the former 2 studs with more experience and no PS or ROR, but that difference is not what makes the team a great one vs a terrible one.

All the team needs is to keep growing that core (eventually replacing an aging Iggy and Tanguay) while adding a solid D-man and they could be a contending team sooner than later IMO. Duchene is the real enigma here... If the kid is able to turn around his game (and I think he's not far from getting that spark of confidence back), he can really be a key component of their success going forward IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Alright, so pitching him seems to be the way to go. Replace him in net vs. Foligno/Tatar? I have one vote for skaters...

I hate having to guess whether good Varly will show up or bad Varly. I should also point out, coincidentally, that ROR is a FA.

Administrator

It hasn't showed up yet this season but Varlamov's Home/Road splits are pretty stark. He has a career 82-61 record with a 2.31 GAA and .923 Save% on home ice vs. a 57-69 record with 2.87 GAA and .911 Save% on the road. So there's still value in spot starting Varlamov at home against weak opponents but you might find more use out of Tomas Tatar, especially with Pavel Datsyuk returning soon.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd grab Tatar for Varly because you seem set in goal without him. Price, Holtby, and Anderson sound like a good three to me

Dobber Sports Expert

Just make sure to ask Bondon when to start him and do the opposite of what he tells you. He will be pure gold.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Checking back in. Managed to hold on to Varly long enough to have him get injured AND miss the train on Berra. Boo. Grabbed Tatar, passed on Foligno (yay). Free agents now include Monahan, Foligno, Hudler, Saad, Jenner, Hansen, Nielsen. Am intrigued by Rickard Rakell. Also a couple of backups out there in Raanta, Reimer, Howard* and Markstrom. When Varvar comes back, is his value now toast? Is it time to put him to bed with the fishes?
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    L Hall, Beauvillier, Robertson
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)
    D Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Reilly (Bos)
    G Shesterkin, Nedeljkovic, Campbell, Greiss

1Y H2H [G, A, +-, PPP, SOG, H], [W, SV%, GAA, SO]