Thread: radulov question

peekNpoke

Default radulov question

I know I\'m tired of this guy too but here is my question,
    when he signed his nhl contract, did the preds (or NHL) give the russian federation a player transfer amount?

He signed back in early 06 so I can\'t remember if the russians were still part of the iihf agrement at that time or not.

My logic is that if his rights were paid for then how could they steal him back legally, even under russia law.
    I know things are not that easy but that\'s how i\'d be approaching this.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default radulov question

Radulov first came over to play for the Ramparts in 2004, so I would doubt a transfer fee was paid for him either at that point or when he was signed by Nashville. The transfer fee scenario pertains to situations in which a players gets out of an existing contract in Europe in order to sign a professional contract in North America. There\'s no transfer fee from the NHL when a player goes to play in the CHL.

In 2004 the Russian law enabling players to get out of contracts with a short notice was still in effect so he would have either used that, or spent his own money to buy himself out, or simply moved when out of contract. Or just defected ...

I think part of the problem is with the russianprospects translation. What they published is culled from different Russian interviews with him, and i think the word they translate as \'stealing\', while literally meaning that, in the context would more accurately be rendered by \'pillaging\'. Pillaging can be legally done, but still be pillaging, as the American rebels/founding fathers could attest
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

peekNpoke

Default radulov question

Thanks fzusher.

I think you are right about the CHL move.
    This is what I was able to find.

There were two PTA, one for 2005-2007 and one that was from 2007 to what was supposed to b 2011 but recently expired.

Its hard to find much about the 05/07 one but I found this:
    [code:1]IIHF.com wrote:
    The 2005-2007 Player Transfer Agreement between the IIHF member national associations, their leagues and the National Hockey League was ratified by the Finland, Germany, Slovakia, Sweden and Switzerland at a meeting in Zurich on Wednesday, October 5.

The representatives of the Czech Republic association and league are expected to sign shortly.

The Player Transfer Agreement regulates transfers to the NHL from all IIHF affiliated associations and leagues, with the exception for Canada, USA and Russia*.

The highlights of the new PTA:

++ The agreement is for two years, 2005-06 and 2006-07.

++ The signing deadline for 2005-06 was August 24, 2005. The deadline for 2006-07 is June 15, 2006.

++ Players who are drafted in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft (late June) can be signed until July 15 or until August 15. For players signed between July 16 and August 15, the NHL will pay an additional fee of 100,000 USD.

++ The NHL will pay a basic development fee of 200.000 USD for each IIHF-player signed. If the total amount of signed IIHF-players exceeds 45, the amount for each player (46-60) will be 225,000 USD.

++ Furthermore, the IIHF-affiliated clubs will be compensated for players who are signed by NHL-clubs and who are not on the NHL-clubs\' roster for 30 games or more (including playoffs) in their first season. This new clause was implemented to reduce the signings of players who are of low-end NHL quality.

During the 2003-2004 NHL season, 300 players (29,5 % of league\'s total) from IIHF-affiliated leagues played in the NHL.

* Russia decided not to join the Player Transfer Agreement. The National Hockey League has a separate agreement with Hockey Canada and USA Hockey with regards to players signed from their respective developmental systems.
    [/code:1]

So first thing, russia was not under any agreement, so that almost certainly means that they didn\'t get anything for Radulov.

Have they realy been out of the pta agreement for that long? Wow. Didn\'t realize that.

But I did find something in the last PTA agreement regarding euro players that go to the chl that might be of interest to you.

[code:1]++ Furthermore, the IIHF will be compensated for players who are signed by NHL-clubs and who are not on the NHL-clubs\' roster for 30 games or more (including playoffs) in their first season. The funds generated from this clause (between 50.000 and 100.000 USD pending on draft round selection) will be retained in an IIHF Supplementary Fund to be used for IIHF player transfers to the NHL which do not comply with the IIHF/NHL Player Transfer Agreement. This mainly pertains to situations where European players are signed from North American junior clubs to the NHL.
    [/code:1]

Looks like that loop hole was fought for and won by the iihf. Not that it means that they got enough for the player but they would have received something.

Anyway, thanks again for your insight.

peekNpoke

Default radulov question

aw crap that looks awful.

I thought I could edit previous posts.

Damn, sorry about that. Next time I will preview first.