Thread: who writes player updates?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default who writes player updates?

Really, who writes player updates on the fantady sites? My favorite is something along the lines of..."player x is riding a hot streak now but don't expect it to last....the time to trade him is now before he cools off.' How can I trade him if the guy I'm going to trade him to reads that update?

I...am your father.

Default Re: who writes player updates?

That's the pitfall of fantasy sites. Fortunately, there are a dozen of them out there and if you consider 50% of fantasy owners don't often go to fantasy sites at all...that leaves the other 50% going to their favorite site. Much as I wish that would 100% be my site...it's not the case.

But the little blurb of opinion written under the info and source is written (often) by kids coming out of high school who have played fantasy hockey for two years. The blurbs are rarely helpful or insightful and in those rare times where I read any news on those sites, I don't bother with the blurb underneath.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    That's the pitfall of fantasy sites. Fortunately, there are a dozen of them out there and if you consider 50% of fantasy owners don't often go to fantasy sites at all...that leaves the other 50% going to their favorite site. Much as I wish that would 100% be my site...it's not the case.

But the little blurb of opinion written under the info and source is written (often) by kids coming out of high school who have played fantasy hockey for two years. The blurbs are rarely helpful or insightful and in those rare times where I read any news on those sites, I don't bother with the blurb underneath.
    Thanks, Dob. I was actually referring to the blurb opinions and we have long joked that they are written by kids...I don't know if you meant it kidding around but it is a popular belief because they are often ridiculous.

If I want info or well reasoned opinion I come here...in a pinch I'll check the twitter feed of beat reporters.

The other problem is we are spoiled by how accessible and how fast information is gathered and dispersed today. We used to have to wait until Tuesday and Wednesday for the USA Today player stats to be printed in order to update our baseball fantasy standings. Now we get anxious if we don't have the results of the x-rays the second the guy is taken off the rink.

Keep up the great work.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    Really, who writes player updates on the fantady sites? My favorite is something along the lines of..."player x is riding a hot streak now but don't expect it to last....the time to trade him is now before he cools off.' How can I trade him if the guy I'm going to trade him to reads that update?
    I know. It's hilariously counterproductive. I believe I saw this most recently regarding Connor McDavid. It was like "trade for him while his managers are feeling impatient". THANKS YAHOO!

There was also a week last year, I think some of you will remember - where Yahoo started randomly putting out inaccurate blurbs, the worst of which was "Slava Voynov has been reinstated by the NHL". A guy in my league actually picked up Voynov based on the blurb.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry