Thread: \"Filatov\'s work visa is pretty much done.\"

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default \"Filatov\'s work visa is pretty much done.\"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16514

Scott Howson says: \"Filatov\'s work visa is pretty much done. Not sure when he will arrive in Columbus but likely in the next 2 weeks.\"

I consider that the last nail in the coffin for those who are doubting Filatov coming over to North America. Now it all depends on how he performs in camp if he\'s going to play in the NHL this year.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default "Filatov\'s work visa is pretty much done."

That\'s the thing...if he doesn\'t make the team this year...he maybe willing to do a stint in the minors or Junior for a year...but if he fails next year...and the KHL is going strong...if they offer...he may go.

I still say unless your draft is after or near the end of training camp...he\'s still a high risk/high reward pick.

Personally I think that the reasons the KHL are digging in their heals with Rads...is that they need a poster boy for...beating the nasty NHL at their own game...and playing it up in the media...to show the young guys that are coming up...who the stronger league is...by winning the battle.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

PrairieFire wrote:
    That\'s the thing...if he doesn\'t make the team this year...he maybe willing to do a stint in the minors or Junior for a year...but if he fails next year...and the KHL is going strong...if they offer...he may go.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. No.

He has already said NUMEROUS TIMES that he\'s willing to pay his dues in the minors and farm teams until the coaches think he\'s ready. He actually has a work ethic, so he doesn\'t expect a spot to be handed to him. He knows that he has to deserve a spot in the NHL.

Again: No. Just plain no. Will you negative people please actually read what Filatov is saying? Filatov isn\'t like Radulov.

Jeez, I\'m getting tired of debunking this stuff.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

I am inclined to agree with you \'Sentium\'. I do appreciate what \'Prairefire\' is alluding to but, Filatov has repeatedly stated that he wants to play in the NHL and that he will do whatever he needs to do in order to accomplish that. Having said that, if he didn\'t see that he was getting an opportunity or he wasn\'t happy with his hockey environment, then there is always the threat of the KHL. I am excited, having the #2 pick, to see that he is getting his work visa to allow him to play in the NHL. If he was only concerned with money, would he have pursued the work visa for North America or just agreed to play in Russia?

Dobber Sports Stud

Oh ya. Everybody has read and heard this kid.

I still say that the Leafs did bad by skipping over this kid. Unless Schenn becomes the next Foote or Blake, this kid has lots of heart and determination.

If he ever gets within Stamkos\' points, then the leafs made a big bad.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Prodigy

sentium wrote:
    PrairieFire wrote:
    Sentium wrote:
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. No.

He has already said NUMEROUS TIMES that he\'s willing to pay his dues in the minors and farm teams until the coaches think he\'s ready. He actually has a work ethic, so he doesn\'t expect a spot to be handed to him. He knows that he has to deserve a spot in the NHL.

Again: No. Just plain no. Will you negative people please actually read what Filatov is saying? Filatov isn\'t like Radulov.

Jeez, I\'m getting tired of debunking this stuff.
    Ok Sentium...I get that you BELIEVE the kid...but that does not make it Gospel...it\'s merely your opinion.

All I\'m saying is that Rads said all the same things...do you remember this:
    \"I’m very happy about the decision I have taken last year of playing in the CHL,\" he commented to Hockey’s Future in Drummondville. \"There is more body contact here on the ice, I do prefer this style of play than the one played in Russia. I’m also coached by the best ever NHL goaltender, it is like a dream for me.\"
    He went on to say: \"I didn’t consider at all the option playing in the Super league this season,\" stated Radulov. \"I wanted to come back and play here. My future is in North America, my dream is to play in the NHL. If I had returned in Russia it would have been a step back from attaining my goal.\"

Now to me I am hearing the same thing from Filatov...and all I\'m saying...is that anybody drafting him should be aware of the high risk/high reward player he is...as it\'s undesputable...period!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default "Filatov\'s work visa is pretty much done.&quo

sentium wrote:

Again: No. Just plain no. Will you negative people please actually read what Filatov is saying? Filatov isn\'t like Radulov.[/quote]

Radulov said the right things when he came over as well. The right question to ask is whether Hitchcock and Howson will know how to handle him, or whether 2 years in the Jackets set-up will turn him into a Radulov. For the record, I think the Jackets will do it right, but that\'s just a hunch.

At any rate, he\'s got his visa, about to fly to TO, then off to Columbus for the first time September 10th.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/08/filatov_free.shtml

Wait a minute - he\'s never been to the city of Columbus!? Oops, he might still prefer a return to Moscow :P [just busting your chains, local fans ]
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Expert

Default \"Filatov\'s work visa is pretty much done.&quo

wait, Columbus has fans?
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Pro

Gaborlick wrote:
    wait, Columbus has fans?
    When I was there a few years ago for an Oilers visit the arena was almost full with mostly local fans, and that was a Friday night on a weekend in which the Buckeyes were playing a deciding home match.
    Thing is, Columbus has no NFL, MLB or NBA teams, the MLS team plays during the NHL off season, and Ohio State is not a basketball NCAA stalwart, but is a major state university with one of the top football programs in the country, so once college football season is over, there\'s big demand for a sports fix, and no major competition for the Jackets for it (arena football ... ). As long as ticket prices are kept affordable for the college and middle class crowds, they have the potential to bring in quite the numbers.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Columbus (much like Minnesota) has a high school/college hockey background so the NHL was much more welcomed there.

The Jackets draw good crowds - imagine when they start making the playoffs.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified