Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't sleep on Mark Stone. He will score 70 points at the minimum.

Banned

Default Re: Don't sleep on Mark Stone. He will score 70 points at the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Radek Bonk, mike fisher, Havlat, Heatly, Hossa, McEachern, Michalek, Bryan Smolinski, Spezza, Todd White (144pts in 130games), Yashin all had good yrs for the Senators, then some went poof production wise.

Also to say he’s the best forward since Alfy left isn’t that big of a statement. Alfy left only 2 seasons ago, and Stone showed up last yr, so at best there was 1.5yrs without a player the caliber of a possible HOF-er.
    youre Comparing different eras and a lot of those guys were still good for their whole career. But all are irrelevant when talking about stone.

Thats not exactly what I meant. In my years watching the senators stone is the best forward we have had aside from Alford. That better? but Hossa is up there and probably should be ahead right now

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Right now we have Fancy stats versus the player. Will Stone regress? or will Stone build on last year?

Using strictly the eye test - he looks like a man on a mission. I hedged my bets and kept stone on my team. I don't think the last half of last season was fluke at all. I think that what we are seeing is a star in the making.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'd take the under on 70. Heck, I'd take the under on 60 points.
    This - 1000% this. Big Ev is the prototypical example of fandom blinding reality.

Stone was a 22 year old rookie last season. Here's the thing about 22 year old rookies - they don't fare well after making a rookie splash. Since 2000-01, only two other players aged 22 or older posted 60+ points as a rookie - Brad Boyes (69 points as a rookie) and Michael Ryder (63 points). Guess what they did in their second seasons? Boyes posted 46 points in 81 games and Ryder 55 points in 81 games. Beyond that, Ryder never again posted 63+ points and Boyes went on to post more than 46 points just three times (72, 65 and and 55).

Drink the Stone kool-aid if you want, but be prepared to spit it out before the season is over.

I wish I had a mic drop gif......
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    This - 1000% this. Big Ev is the prototypical example of fandom blinding reality.

Stone was a 22 year old rookie last season. Here's the thing about 22 year old rookies - they don't fare well after making a rookie splash. Since 2000-01, only two other players aged 22 or older posted 60+ points as a rookie - Brad Boyes (69 points as a rookie) and Michael Ryder (63 points). Guess what they did in their second seasons? Boyes posted 46 points in 81 games and Ryder 55 points in 81 games. Beyond that, Ryder never again posted 63+ points and Boyes went on to post more than 46 points just three times (72, 65 and and 55).

Drink the Stone kool-aid if you want, but be prepared to spit it out before the season is over.

I wish I had a mic drop gif......
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

I've already explained why your analysis is bullshit RD. Stone is not even remotely comparable to guys like boyes or Ryder, he's much more talented and complete. That is literally all you have said this whole time, you keep spewing the names boyes and Ryder like that matters at all when discussing this player. You don't have any other arguments to stand on. Oh are the one who can't see reality.

I can can tell you have never watched stone for more than a couple of games in your life, rizee. You will b dead wrong and it's very comical to people who know what stone can do.

I kmow now talent and I know what I'm talking about. I know stone more than you do. I saw what was coming in his first NHL game when he came into he playoffs as a rookie and immediately made an impact on the game winning goal against the Rangers.

It has nothing to do with me being a fan. I'm not calling for Hoffman to score 70 am I?

You would be extremely extremely foolish to doubt that mark stone can and will be a 70 point player in his career. To me if yo ant see that in stone, then I know you don't have the eye for the game. That simple. This is a player who had dominated every level he has played at and is showing no reasons why he can't continue to dominate in the nhl. Two assists already last night.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2sticks1puck View Post
    Right now we have Fancy stats versus the player. Will Stone regress? or will Stone build on last year?

Using strictly the eye test - he looks like a man on a mission. I hedged my bets and kept stone on my team. I don't think the last half of last season was fluke at all. I think that what we are seeing is a star in the making.
    You get it. You watch the guy play and can see it. And th stats back up how good he is too.

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree with Ev that Stone is nothing compared to Ryder. Having watched Ryder for years in Montrea, Ryder was a floater with a huge shot playing easy minutes. Stone is much more complete, I'm not ready to say he has elite sense because to me elite sense is for special players (Datsyuk,Giroux,Crosby...) not quite ready to say he's in that category (hockey sense wise), but he does play a very smart game.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Star

I don't give a shit who you compare him to, 70pts isn't exactly easy. Especially if you're a Right Winger that doesn't shoot more than 200+ times a season.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    I don't give a shit who you compare him to, 70pts isn't exactly easy. Especially if you're a Right Winger that doesn't shoot more than 200+ times a season.
    When he was established last year, we was shooting about 2.5 times a game.

But he's a pass first player anyway

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm a Sens fan, and I've watched quite a bit of Stone. I agree that he's a special player, with vision you don't often see and an amazing ability to slow the game down and create turnovers. I think he's fully capable of becoming a regular 65-70 point player. I don't know if this year is when that will start (and I would also bet against the 70 mark), but the potential is certainly there.

That being said, I think people need to temper expectations a bit on Stone, particularly if you participate in a roto fantasy league. As skilled as he is, Stone does not shoot at an elite level, he doesn't hit, he doesn't have any elite offensive teammates, and his PP production isn't yet where it needs to be to hit that 70 point mark. If you`re drafting him in your roto league, make sure you know what you`re getting: lots of assists, a decent amount of goals, and average shots and PPPs. That`s it. This kind of production will make him even less useful than guys like Abdelkader, Brouwer, etc.

If you`re in a points only league, then absolutely reach for him a bit and know that he has a good shot at being that 65-70 point guy you want sometime soon. But in a roto league, just know that he will definitely be overvalued. Let someone else draft him with a high pick while you`re getting more complete roto players who might get 10 fewer points, but will outproduce him significantly in many other categories.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    When he was established last year, we was shooting about 2.5 times a game.

But he's a pass first player anyway
    Then I hope he gets there like that.

Dobber has him down for 23G/39A this season (I think), which means you're probably taking the over on his Assist total by 8 while he maintains his Nick Foligno-like SH%. That's not insane by any means, just... not easy.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RememberRobitaille View Post
    I'm a Sens fan, and I've watched quite a bit of Stone. I agree that he's a special player, with vision you don't often see and an amazing ability to slow the game down and create turnovers. I think he's fully capable of becoming a regular 65-70 point player. I don't know if this year is when that will start (and I would also bet against the 70 mark), but the potential is certainly there.

That being said, I think people need to temper expectations a bit on Stone, particularly if you participate in a roto fantasy league. As skilled as he is, Stone does not shoot at an elite level, he doesn't hit, he doesn't have any elite offensive teammates, and his PP production isn't yet where it needs to be to hit that 70 point mark. If you`re drafting him in your roto league, make sure you know what you`re getting: lots of assists, a decent amount of goals, and average shots and PPPs. That`s it. This kind of production will make him even less useful than guys like Abdelkader, Brouwer, etc.

If you`re in a points only league, then absolutely reach for him a bit and know that he has a good shot at being that 65-70 point guy you want sometime soon. But in a roto league, just know that he will definitely be overvalued. Let someone else draft him with a high pick while you`re getting more complete roto players who might get 10 fewer points, but will outproduce him significantly in many other categories.
    Karlsson is his elite offensive teammate and turris is very good. And if Hoffman continues to shine they have a very good goal scorer to pass to, or even Ryan could play with them one day.

I drafted stone in my roto league but got him late. I agree he's better for a points only but he's still valuable for blocks and especially plus minus if you have those. Also I don't see why he won't get good ppp, he will be on the 1st unit all year.

Dobber Sports Pro

I still am waiting to see if you want to put $20 (or more) on it. CDN$ of course
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I still am waiting to see if you want to put $20 (or more) on it. CDN$ of course
    sure. I missed your first post. $25?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    sure. I missed your first post. $25?
    Done. I like random bets... I do not have many this year haha
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league