Thread: Draft Strategy Help

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Draft Strategy Help

I own the 12th pick in every round for league and team in SIG. I, along with four other GM's did not keep a goalie and have my sights set on grabbing one at pick 12. But the closer I get to the draft I find myself thinking that maybe if a certain player falls to me at pick 12 I take them instead and then take my #1 goalie at pick 24. It's a bit risky so I turn to the forums. Below I have the most appealing players at every position that I could get in the first few rounds of my draft. I wanted to see how other members would approach rounds 1-3 in this very important draft with this years production a priority.

C- Thorton, Monahan, Stepan
    LW- Foligno, Ladd, JVR, Simmonds, Galchenyuk
    RW- Hossa, Iginla, Vrbata, Pominville, Hornqvist
    D- Street, Yandle, Faulk, Kronwall, Green
    G- Dubnyk, Rask, Bobrovsky, Andersen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Draft Strategy Help

SIG doesn't show up.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Depending on the scoring stats for goalies, I would say if one of those 4 goalies falls to you at #12 I would have to take one of them. Reason being that none of them should make it to your pick at #24 and in most fantasy leagues, having a top end goalie is important in being competitive.

And besides, I like 3 of those goalies better than all the position players available (except maybe Yandle). And the 4th goalie, Dubnyk, a lot more people are sold on him than I am, so lots of people would suggest all 4 goalies

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm having trouble with the sig so league info is as follows.

12 team head to head keep 8. We start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 1G, 1F/D. Scoring is G-2 A-1.5 PP/SHP- 0.5 Wins-3 SO-2.5
    My keepers are:

C: Giroux, Backstrom, Getzlaf (util)
    Lw: Parise
    Rw: Ryan
    D: Karlsson, Letang, OEL

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post

12 team head to head keep 8. We start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 1G, 1F/D. Scoring is G-2 A-1.5 PP/SHP- 0.5 Wins-3 SO-2.5
    My keepers are:

With 3 solid D already, I would say you HAVE to take a goalie. Especially when Wins and Shutouts are the only goalie scoring categories. Can't pick up a guy like Schneider late and get and value from him cause his team won't win games. Has to be one of these good goalies at pick #12.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post

12 team head to head keep 8.
    We start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 1G, 1F/D.

Scoring is:
    Skaters: G-2 A-1.5 PP/SHP- 0.5
    Goalies: Wins-3 SO-2.5

My keepers are:
    Is it daily roster sets?
    Is it Yahoo?

If those things are true, it's essentially 7F/3D/1G.

If you are only starting 1G... then scheduling (/goalie conflicts) is critical to goalie planning.
    If it's daily sets - I'd absolutely REACH for F.Andersen if he's there... because the ANA schedule is so much "off-night" that you'll be able to grab most other NHL goalies as your 2nd and get them into your line-up for a LOT of starts.

Having Getzlaf, for same reason, is going to be great for your team.

Chicago is also great for schedule.
    I'd look to draft Hossa when you get a chance.
    And if you have enough BENCH slots... I'd late-draft Scott Darling, who I expect to start on 8-10 Sundays for Chicago (which whoever is your other G1... probably won't be starting a lot on Sundays).

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Is it daily roster sets?
    Is it Yahoo?

If you are only starting 1G... then scheduling (/goalie conflicts) is critical to goalie planning.
    If it's daily sets - I'd absolutely REACH for F.Andersen if he's there... because the ANA schedule is so much "off-night" that you'll be able to grab most other NHL goalies as your 2nd and get them into your line-up for a LOT of starts.

And if you have enough BENCH slots... I'd late-draft Scott Darling, who I expect to start on 8-10 Sundays for Chicago (which whoever is your other G1... probably won't be starting a lot on Sundays).

Good luck.
    Unless he picks Andersen. If he does, the best non-conflicting scheduled teams are:
    NYR, Detroit, Nashville, Ottawa, LA, and Montreal. Lundy, Rinne, Price, and prolly Quick are kept, so 2nd goalie options can be Howard, Mrazek, Hammond, and Anderson.

Reach on Andersen if he’s there. 2nd option is Dubnyk or Rask. If you draft Bobrovsky make sure your backup is CBJ backup. 18B2B is most in the league, and with an injury prone Bob, its almost necessary you get the handcuff. Other teams with high B2B’s for your 2nd goalie:
    NYR, Detroit, Pitts-17
    Carolina, Toronto, Montreal - 16
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Is it daily roster sets?
    Is it Yahoo?

Good luck.
    It's ESPN and lineup is locked after first game starts on Monday.

As an idea to what my initial plan was. Take Andersen at 12 and take one of Rask, Bob, Dubnyk (if they fall) at 24.