Thread: Beckham Jr. for Gore + Hopkins

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Beckham Jr. for Gore + Hopkins

Hi all. I have been offered Gore and Hopkins for my Beckham Jr. My years of limited keepers in fantasy hockey have made me skeptical of 2 for 1 deals. Hence, I am seeking your insight if you care to offer it.

We use standard scoring. We dress 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex (w/r/t), 1 K, 1 DEF, 2 DB, 2 LB, 2, DL.

Here is my roster (I won't include defensive players)

Brady, Kaepernick
    Beckham Jr, Wright, James Jones, Boldin, Wheaton (dropping this week)
    Gronkowski, Reed
    Hyde, Martin, Freeman, Vereen, Spiller

As you can see, my RBs are not world-beaters. (Hyde is an exception. He's a world-class back...unfortunately my Niners suck this year). I am replacing Kaep and Weaton with waiver adds this week. My question is....is Gore enough of a sweetener to stomach the downgrade at WR? I think the Colts are looking to go timeshare eventually, and I've heard rumblings that they may even re-sign Bradshaw. Still, my RBs blow. Martin and Spiller have been huge disappointments thus far.

What do you think? Do you like this deal for me? Or should I keep Beckham. The Giants always start the year slowly.

Please chime in.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Beckham Jr. for Gore + Hopkins

I wouldn't do this deal. The other owner is trying to sell high on Gore after his 2 TD week. He is still going to suffer snap count limitations going forward and wasn't at all impressive his first 2 weeks. I like Hopkins a lot, but he has much shakier QB play. With Cruz returning, I like OBJ's outlook better this season as some of the coverage is taken off him. Stay the course my man.

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's not a terrible offer by any means, but I think I'd also pass on this deal. I agree that the other GM is wisely trying to cash in on Gore's big game. But it seems to me that time is on your side here.

For one thing, Freeman's big game last week -- and the slightly longer leash he's earned as a result, not to mention Coleman's still broken ribs -- bought you some time to see how things pan out because I'd be more the comfortable continuing to roll him out there each week. I'd continue looking to mine the waiver wire for potential RB gems for now (and there do seem to be new names cropping up out of seemingly nowhere each and every week).

And in any event, IF you get to a point where you want to consider a 2 for 1 deal involving a player of Beckham's caliber, then I'd make that fact public throughout the league and see what offers come in. People are sure to bid on a player like that, and any real or perceived competition should only work in your favor.

As an aside and for whatever it's worth, unlike fantasy hockey, I think 2 for 1 deals can frequently work out favorably for the team receiving 2 players in fantasy football given that depth is key in this game over the long run due to the comparatively high rate of injury. The trick, of course, is to make sure you're receiving the right two players. Hopkins is a good start, but I'd suspect that another team would offer someone perhaps similarly intriguing as Hopkins but pony up a more enticing RB to boot. In any event, that's the reason why I think it's important to publicize the fact that a guy like OBJ is available. A bad game this week from a guy like that won't really diminish his trade value given that people generally agree on what he brings to the table, but a big game from a highlight reel guy like that can cause other GMs to really toss common sense to the curb and bid with emotion!

Cheers.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Don't do it. Quality over Quantity!! OBJ is a top 3 WR in every week except his Bye week.

Dobber Sports Padawan

OBJ is matchup proof and on a team that looks like they will be throwing a lot. Plus he's in a terrible division. The offer isn't terrible but I really don't think it makes your team any better