Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DobberHockey - Expert/Pro/Entry Division Info

I...am your father.

Default Re:DobberHockey - Expert/Pro/Entry Division Info

hoopej2 wrote:
    I too will accept if it makes it down to me. I echo the request to find out the site that will be used but my best guess would be that it is thecommonfan.com site that Dobbs has used in the past.

If I\'m right do I get in automatically?

Too complicated for TCF. It will be run on yahoo!

You would have a couple weeks to decide guys, nothing firm. If it starts to become necessary to set a firm deadline, we\'ll do so at that time. Right now, there\'s lots of time...

No - to the five on five idea...

Draft will be whenever Burnsy makes it. I\'m thinking early september mid september...

Loki - blackened length has nothing to do with the length of word I removed. I just threw things in there. If you remove the black, you will see funny messages...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dobber / Burnsy -

What are the scoring categories?
    Are we H2H or rotisserie?
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Prodigy

All I can say is that I don\'t mind wasting the competition this year in the Entry Division, in order to secure a spot in the Pro division next year.

Draw away...I\'m in.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hoping my name is call for a chance at what looks to be an amazing pool.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That\'s a great idea, Dobber.

Hope you can this 2-time defending champ in a lifetime pool a chance. :evil:

Blue.
    Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. Lesson is, never try. -Homer Simpson.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey Dobber, if I may be so bold, I think you might be missing the mark a little here on a great opportunity to improve your website and, possibly, your bottom line.

I suggest running your expert league as planned this year, but then creating a whole set of \"Entry Level\" leagues that would be open to all intertested parties. Each 12 man league would operate as a distinct one-year pool with it\'s own draft, and the standings being independant of all the other \"Entry Level\" leagues. At the end of this year the top few finishers from each pool move up to create the \"Pro Level\" next season. The \"Pro Level\" would consist of 2 to 4 distinct 12-man pools (depending on interest). Beyond that, the top and bottom finishers in every pool are promoted/demoted for the next season as you described.

Example: Assume 108 people sign up this year. Arrange them into 9 leagues of 12. The top 4 finishers from each league move up to the \"Pro Level\" for next year. That would give you 36 \"Pro\'s\", or enough for 3 leagues at that level. The top two finishers of each \"Pro League\" would then move up to displace, Burnsy, Notch and the other four bottom-six finishers of the expert league for the following season, while the last four finishers get sent back to the \"Entry Level\" leagues.

Every year you can easily adjust the number of pools at each level to meet demand. The advantages of this system are obvious. You\'re going to get way more people involved which will help your return traffic and it gives you another \"product\" that you can advertise elsewhere to draw new readers.

The amount of work required on your part will be minimal. Just develop a set of standardized rules, create a message board for each league and start taking names. Each pool can appoint a commissioner who will take care of all the operational duties, such as directing the draft and setting up the Yahoo! league.

I would suggest charging a nominal fee (maybe $10) to make sure everyone who enters is going to take it seriously, and also to make sure there\'s bread on the Dobbs\' family table. (We don\'t want you going back to that desk job on us.)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

As an afterthought:

You could also develop a points system to keep track of the most successful poolies year over year.

ie ->
    1st in \"Entry Level\" pool = 5 pts
    2nd in \"Entry Level\" pool = 3 pts

1st in \"Pro Level\" pool = 10 pts
    2nd in \"Pro Level\" pool = 8 pts

etc

It will work out to be like a Dobber Pools Hall of Fame.

Post edited by: Ogie_Oglethorpe, at: 2007/07/31 20:32

I...am your father.

Good ideas, but not enough time to implement and poor Burnsy is probably going to have his hands full running the three drafts as it is!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Padawan

That is a shame. I for one think you could create a lot of interest with very little work. We are all Dobbermanic\'s and would love to be invovled with the pools.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hogwash! That sounds like the response of a man frightened at staring down the barrel of his own overwhelming success.

It would take next to no time to implement and would cut down on Burnsy\'s workload by 67%. In fact, the whole thing could be implemented this evening before Mrs. Dobber slips into that DobberHockey muscle shirt that she wears as a nightie.

1. Decide if you\'re going to charge for the service or not.

2. Make an announcement on the Forum that DobberPools will now be open to everyone.

3. Refer to said announcement in tomorrow\'s Ramblings section.

4. If you are going to charge a few bucks for entry, set up a link to PayPal so the Dobberites can get their money to you.

5. Start a new forum page here for DobberPools.

6. Get Burnsy to finalize the standard rules. Post Rules for all to see.

7. Ask entrants to specify if they\'d be willing to act as a pool commissioner. Divide entrants into groups of twelve, with at least one willing commish in each group.

8. Add water.

Each pool will be autonomous and almost completely self-governing. None of your administrators will need to be involved in any of the daily operations. Each commissioner can run the draft here on your existing forum or via e-mail, and can be responsible for setting up their own Yahoo! league to track the scoring.

Burnsy will just have to look after the one Expert League.

This way everybody gets to play, your site becomes much more interactive, attracts more readers and after a couple years a pecking order will be established that will be a much better representation of knowledge than \"karma\" will ever be. Plus, I bet you\'d make a good chunk of change.

Post edited by: Ogie_Oglethorpe, at: 2007/07/31 22:07

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is this the beginning of a Dobber hockey site split. Dobber is the man for fantasy hockey info. However with only a select few being invited for pools is it becomming elitist
    Championships

Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber complimented the idea... let it go. If other people on this forum want to get together and do a yahoo league theres nothing stopping us. Having a three tier league already seemed like a bit much for Burnsy to look after and the lucky few who get picked for the entry league will have a chance to prove themselves.

Maybe next year Dobber and al, will have a bigger more inclusive format but for now I am happy to get my guide with an update in six weeks and see where this three tiered Dobber league goes.

BTW If someone wants to start a yahoo league and needs another player drop me a line. Cheers!
    6 Time CDHL Badger Cup Champion. www.cdhl.ca
    C Stamkos, Getzlaf, Carter, Roy, Turris, etc
    L Elias, Tanguay, Perron, Berglund, Foligno, Booth etc
    R Horton, Hornqvist, Giroux, Voracek, C. Smith, etc
    D Keith, Burns, Phaneuf, Jay-Bo, Myers, Tyutin, Kaberle, etc.
    G Vokoun, Quick, Emery, Bernier, Tokarski

Dobber Sports Padawan

Either way we are all Dobbermanic\'s
    Championships

Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

I would be game too for either idea... at the very leats maybe Dobber (or an admin) can create a Poolie section in the forum for people waning to create an upcoming league. I also think paying a nominal fee keeps people interested. I was in a 12 team yahoo league last year where entrants chucked $10 and at least every GM made 30+ moves by seasons end, and we split the money.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Genius

dynamo45 wrote:
    When must we decide by?
    I just want to make sure that I can give this pool the attention it requires.
    same here,honored by the invite and hope to be a challenging competitor.offer accepted,thanks.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack