Thread: islanders hire SCOTT GORDON

Dobber Sports Master

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default islanders hire SCOTT GORDON

They\'ll still suck no matter what Gordon they hire. Ben Gordon, Tom Gordon, Alex Gordon, Commishioner Gordon from Batman, Gordon Giricek. It just doesnt matter. They\'re gonna suck!

Dobber Sports Expert

don\'t forget Jeff Gordon and Gordon Ramsay!

Dobber Sports Giant

HAHA! We can add Flash Gordon!

I tend to agree with NYR on this one, they need more than a coach for sure.

Dobber Sports Master

NYR9394 wrote:
    They\'ll still suck no matter what Gordon they hire. Ben Gordon, Tom Gordon, Alex Gordon, Commishioner Gordon from Batman, Gordon Giricek. It just doesnt matter. They\'re gonna suck!
    thanks for adding pretty much nothing to the thread :dry:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sounds like he\'s a coach that works well with goalies and will fit in well with the Isles\' youth movement. Looks like a good fit for the team and it should benefit the youngsters.

The Islanders look to be slowly heading in the right direction. They may suck this year, but they will only get better.
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Master

honduranhockey wrote:
    Sounds like he\'s a coach that works well with goalies and will fit in well with the Isles\' youth movement. Looks like a good fit for the team and it should benefit the youngsters.

The Islanders look to be slowly heading in the right direction. They may suck this year, but they will only get better.
    the islanders have alot of hill to climb before they start earning some respect around the league .Just when you think they are on the right path the plug gets pulled and they are the laughing stock once again --hence my slogan \'\'beat up islander fan\'\'

I feel the same way about Gordon hiring as I did about the Laviolette hiring back in 2000 -cautiously optimistic

I honestly thought they would go with Maurice due to his experience and calm personality .He would have been good with the younsters and experienced enough to know how to handle the veterans (weight , guerin ,witt etc..).I think Gordon will be able to handle his coaching duties -but its the off-ice crap that might overwhelm the guy wheras as Maurice would have breezed through that stuff

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

butch wrote:
    [
    thanks for adding pretty much nothing to the thread :dry:
    Look above your bitter little post. Obviously I added something to it if someone\'s agreeing with me that they need nore than a coach to fix that team. I just added a little humor to it.

You just stay a disgruntled Islanders fan. Trust me, if I was in your shoes i\'d be mad at the Rangers fan making fun of my team also.

Dobber Sports Master

it wasnt a bitter post .I\'m just stating the facts that you added zip to the thread .

I can respect people bashing the isles when they have their facts straight -but when they dont , I like to straighten things out by sticking up for the team .

but , what annoys me most (and it really shouldnt)is when guys like you just make a blanket \'\'they suck\'\'

its childish at best

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Um Gordon Lightfoot...

Good news for Jeff Tambelini and Blake Comeau.
    Still don\'t see Okposo cracking the lineup though.

Garth Snow is still making an impact imho.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    18 team H2H Points only keeper league. 6FW 4D 1G

Kopitar, Kane, Backstrom, Giroux, Berglund, Elias, Steen, J Jokinen
    Byfuglien, OEL, Yandle,
    Rinne

Dobber Sports Master

Reprimand wrote:
    Um Gordon Lightfoot...

Good news for Jeff Tambelini and Blake Comeau.
    Still don\'t see Okposo cracking the lineup though.

Garth Snow is still making an impact imho.
    is gordon lightfoot still alive ? an old friend of mine used to be his personal trainer back in the 1990\'s

I think Okposo makes the team -he didnt look out of place in his 9 game stint and performed well in the AHL .They will probably want him to absorb as much as possible from guys like Weight/Guerin/Sillinger with regards to how to handle yourself on and off the ice .

a full season in the ahl probably wouldnt hurt him either -but I dont think it\'ll happen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

butch wrote:
    I can respect people bashing the isles when they have their facts straight -but when they dont , I like to straighten things out by sticking up for the team .

but , what annoys me most (and it really shouldnt)is when guys like you just make a blanket \'\'they suck\'\'
    What facts? Up until Honduranhockey\'s first post their were no facts being stated. Other people were also naming random Gordons. Why dont you bitch to them?

FISH STICKS SUCK! FISH STICKS SUCK!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think Gordon\'s hiring was strategic. Snow can\'t afford to have loose cannon\'s on both sides of him (Wang being one of them), Maurice might have been a better pure coaching choice, but I think Snow made the call on Gordon for a combination of reasons, one being coaching the other being organizational. Not suggesting Maurice would be a loose cannon but perhaps his strength would cause organizational issues right now that Gordon won\'t.

I think time will tell how this pans out - a bigger question for me in the future of the Isles is - Will Wang let Snow do his job to the fullest extent and if he does, is Snow up to it? If Gordon is cleanly Snow\'s pick then perhaps things are on the verge of stabilizing on the top - for better or for worse.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I dunno, at first I thought Maurice, or Hartley would have been better choices, because they\'re both established proven NHL coaches that\'ll have the respect of vets like Witt, and Guerin etc...

I always remember the Flyers having problems years ago when they gave Bob McCammon a shot and hired him out of the AHL (another AHL coach of the year)...

McCammon had a tough time winning over some of the established veterans to his methods, this culminated in shouting match between him, and Andre \"Moose\" Dupont about defensive zone coverage, with Dupont pointing to the two Stanley Cup rings on his hand and telling the coach \"until you get one of these, ...you listen to me\" :laugh:

...McCammon was fired shortly thereafter, and replaced by Pat Quinn who also was unproven, but when on to be a very successful coach.

The Flyers also did well with other \"unproven\" coachs like Mike Keenan, and Ken Hitchcock. So maybe since the Isles are rebuilding anyway, it\'s not a bad idea to take a shot now with a young up and coming coach, ...if they\'re wrong, they have plenty of time to try again, and if they\'re right, they\'ve gotten the benefit of having some of their young building blocks molded by their future coach now.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)