Thread: Trade - Hall vs Kane? Help!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Trade - Hall vs Kane? Help!

I'm in a keeper / auction league, can keep five players forever at their salary cap (out of 15 roster spots), and I've been offered Taylor Hall for Patrick Kane? Both players have exact same salary cap hit. I'm a huge fan of Kane's consistency and he has better historical productivity than Kane in our league settings (G, A, +/-, PPP), but his potential legal issues certainly worry me and we need to declare our keepers by this weekend.

Do I cut bait on Kane and take Hall in this trade? Or I could wait out the legal process, keep him, and hope for the best? If I do the latter, having his cap hit on my bench for an elongated period would kill my year.

I've beat the bushes on other trade offers for Kane and this is probably the best I can get with limited information that is out there on Kane's issues. Love Hall (especially with McDavid), but the injuries do spook me a bit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

MM77

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Trade - Hall vs Kane? Help!

The injuries should be taken into consideration. However, where has Kane been the last two fantasy playoff seasons? He has been injured... so if you are concerned with all the risk around Kane, he also has the injury risk that Hall has... so I would consider the trade... Hall is also a couple years younger so that might benefit you in the long term as well.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks, appreciate the comment. Should have mentioned that it's a cumulative / total points league, not head to head. But your'e right, Kane does have injury history as well.

Dobber Sports Genius

Take the less rapey guy. Karma and the Hockey Gods will dish out what ever punishment the US legal system does not.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

First off, welcome to the boards!

This is a legit toughie in my eyes. 9 times out of 10 I would say to not sell off Kane at this point, since you're almost certain to take too big a value cut. However, Hall is a guy who is on the cusp of being elite himself. Both have had some injuries so there's not a massive difference there. If you have positional req's, I prefer RW (Kane) to a LW (Hall) and prefer CHI's schedule in a daily-set league to EDM's... but neither to the point that I wouldn't consider this.

My marginal preference is Kane over Hall, but if you feel it will cost you your year, I still think you're getting enough value back for this asset that I'd consider making this trade.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with the above. Normally It would be close. But I'm taking hall here. He should "go up" as he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Kane likely has (88 pt yr). Plus this is kanes 2nd off ice issue. That's too much for me and I don't think there's that big of a difference regardless.
    Part of me feels Chicago could also entertain moving him because of the off ice stuff. That would damage his value further imo

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Take the less rapey guy. Karma and the Hockey Gods will dish out what ever punishment the US legal system does not.
    Lol. Ouch!

I agree, Karma and healthy Hockey Gods on the side of Hallsy IMO.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the thoughts. I'm a long time reader of the boards but first time poster (is that a word?)...not sure why I waited so long!

We do have positional requirements and my keepers are reasonably balanced position wise, so I'm a bit agnostic on RW versus LW (decent availability in upcoming draft / auction too).

I'm obviously not sure if keeping him would cost me the year, truly depends on time lost (10 game suspension is doable; toast if it's 40 games although that seems unlikely). It also hurts flexibility and strategy in upcoming auction to have that unproductive player eating up cap space. I never get a trade-trigger-finger on injuries, and rarely for off-ice stuff, but this one feels a bit different for some reason so thought I should see if I could get almost equal value for Kaner. Anyway, thanks again all, you guys are awesome.

Dobber Sports Pro

Welcome MM77!

I would take Kane here, not just looking at injury history, but the way Hall plays he is much more prone to injury with his recklessness rather than the finesse style of Kane. I would expect Kane to outpoint Hall for the next many years, keep in mind Kane was battling for the Art Ross for most of last year which is an oft forgotten stat.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

If it makes any difference rumour has it Kane is looking to settle out of court. Only his name will be tarnished. How that effects him Idk?
    Oil Country

10 team,PTS only,Salary cap.
    No Forward positions required
    5 defencemen minimum
    2-3 goalies

1pt-G/A, 2pts-W 3pts-So
    12 man farm
    Forwards:
    Mcdavid, Seguin, Kuznetzov, Eberle, Scheifele, Pavelski,Zucker, Arvidson, Teravienen, Barzal, Kase, Dvorak, Debrusk, Fabbri
    Defence:[/B]
    Keith, Butcher

Goalies:
    Holtby, Hutton
    Farm:
    Dal Colle, Jost, Vrana, Sherback, Senyshyn, Abramov, Chytil, Heponiemi, Makar, Q.Hughes, Bowey

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    not just looking at injury history, but the way Hall plays he is much more prone to injury with his recklessness rather than the finesse style of Kane. I would expect Kane to outpoint Hall for the next many years, keep in mind Kane was battling for the Art Ross for most of last year which is an oft forgotten stat.
    I think it's a mistake to keep injury history out of it. Kane's been hurt a lot lately, didn't play 70 games in either of the last 2 seasons. Also at the end of the day he wasn't pacing to beat Jamie Benn and I suspect next year's Art Ross winner will be over 90 points provided there's no mumps outbreaks. Plus Kane's legal troubles and Hall being 3 years younger and playing with McDavid, it's pretty damned close in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaype32 View Post
    If it makes any difference rumour has it Kane is looking to settle out of court. Only his name will be tarnished. How that effects him Idk?
    I don't think it can be ruled out that he agrees to a lesser charge, or that the NHL does its own investigation and takes disciplinary measures. I think we're pretty far from a resolution on this thing.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko