Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When to pick a K/Def/TE - Draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default When to pick a K/Def/TE - Draft

Hello,

Second time posting.

Normally a NHL guy, getting into Fantasy Football. In a 10 team, Keep 3 (WR, QB, RB), standard point system, snake draft - when do you select a Kicker, TE or Defence?

i have Big Ben, Antonio Brown and J. Hill as keepers.

if I pick 9th and 11th (Rd1,Rd2) I should pick WR, WR (maybe Gronk)

Rd 3, Rd 4 should I be focussing on K and D? These are the guys that win it for you right? Like a sneaky Klingberg? Or is this WAAY too early to consider a K and a D?

im trying to get the strategy down.

Oh... The $4.99 Dobber guide is worth it I take it. I just struggle using PayPal - never can get it working for me.

Bra
    2015 Vindaloo Cup Winner

Centre: Tavares, Seguin, Getzlaf
    LW: Kreider, Burakovsky (RW), Ehlers (RW)
    RW: Tarasenko, Silfverberg
    D: Klingberg, Subban, Karlsson
    G: Quick, Domingue

Bn Reinhart

20 Team Auction Draft, Keep 4, 6 forwards, 3 defense, 1 utility, 3 bench.
    Goals 3pts, Assists 2pts, +-.5pts, GAA -.3pts, Goalie wins 5pts, SO 3pts bonus.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: When to pick a K/Def/TE - Draft

Hey Bra! Welcome.

From what I'm reading out there, if Gronk is there with your second pick, you should definitely take him. If you miss out on Gronk, I might want to go with 1 x RB and 1 x WR (in either order). There are more WR available, so I would jump on what RB is available early. My rule of thumb is NEVER be the first to take a K or Def off the board in a draft. Honestly, there are a 6-8+ Kickers who could give you the same return, so no need to go get them any earlier. Once the first 3-4 are off the board, then start looking. Same idea with Def. Good luck with your draft!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Sophomore

with your settings I'd look at Gronk with your first pick, but I can't see him being there.

i'd value Gronk as a top-10 WR, but beyond that I wouldn't go for a TE before round 3 (or 6, with keepers). TE is a crapshoot after the top 3

As for K/D, no no no no no on drafting early. K and D should be your last two picks.
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by adalyfrey View Post
    with your settings I'd look at Gronk with your first pick, but I can't see him being there.
    Okay, you're right about Gronk with his first pick. 10 team leagues are weird for me. My longtime league is 16 teams and no keepers. Good advice adalyfrey.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Your kicker should be your last round pick and your defense should be your second last pick.

The way I look at it, is that kickers and defenses are too reliant on opponents and matchups and there really isn't much difference between 1-10 (especially kickers)

So when other teams start drafting kickers before there last pick, you are getting the best WR, RB or TE available for your bench that will help you on a bye week. This offensive player should outscore the offensive players that other teams pick in the last round by a decent amount. You should be able to pick up a kicker that scores a similar amount of points in the last round as the kickers that other teams picked in earlier rounds.

Another reason to pick a kicker last round is because when they are on their bye week you are going to 'punt' them for another kicker because you do not want to drop a position player for a kicker. So why pick a player in an earlier round that you know you are going to drop when their bye week comes. In earlier rounds pick a WR or RB that you hope to fill in for a position player when it is their bye week. Then you might be able to pick up the same kicker after their bye week, or another one that will put up similar points

This is not the same for defenses, you might want to keep your defense if you draft one that is playing well and don't want to lose them after their bye week. The situation become difficult when you have to decide which position player you want to drop to pick up the second defense.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Do not take a D/ST or kicker before your last two picks. In a 10 team league there will be MULTIPLE kickers and DST undrafted that will outperform more than half of the drafted teams. Last two picks and then monitor performance as the seasons goes on (especially for D/ST).

TE depends on the player. In a 10 team keep 3 Gronk is a first round talent. Graham (2nd) Olsen, (3/4th), and Kelce (if healthy 3/4) should be the next. After that, the fifth drafted TE has about as much likelihood of giving you a decent return as the 12th, so I'd hold off for a while. Good luck!

Banned

Draft a DST last and draft the best matchup available for week 1, then change it every week based on match ups. Worked for me last year. I also did the same for kickers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Draft a DST last and draft the best matchup available for week 1, then change it every week based on match ups. Worked for me last year. I also did the same for kickers
    This is the right play.

For TE, target Gronk in round 1, Jimmy Graham in rounds 3/4, or Travis Kelce in rounds 5/6. Anyone else is really a crapshoot. If you wait until late, my favorite target is Tyler Eifert. I think he has a (good) chance to be the 4th best tight end in fantasy, and you can get him very late.

Dobber Sports Deity

I normally go kicker last rnd, D the round before that. The TE varies because it depends on your situation. Guys like Gronk could easily go in the 2nd round. Outside of Gronk, I'd probably wait a few rounds but it really depends on the size of your league.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This is the right play.

For TE, target Gronk in round 1, Jimmy Graham in rounds 3/4, or Travis Kelce in rounds 5/6. Anyone else is really a crapshoot. If you wait until late, my favorite target is Tyler Eifert. I think he has a (good) chance to be the 4th best tight end in fantasy, and you can get him very late.
    greg Olsen should be considered a safe TE as well. Moreso than Kielce

Dobber Sports Expert

Unless you have a top 5 TE, then stream at each of these positions for best matchups

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm also a big fan of streaming your DEF, unless one of the top 3 is still there in the 2nd to last round, in which case pick one and ride it out.

If he can stay healthy (he already has an ankle sprain), I love Kelce this year. In a 10-team w/ 3 keepers I'd target him at the start of the 4th or even end of the 3rd.
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by adalyfrey View Post
    If he can stay healthy (he already has an ankle sprain), I love Kelce this year. In a 10-team w/ 3 keepers I'd target him at the start of the 4th or even end of the 3rd.
    Agreed....I just snagged Kelce in the 5th round of a 12-team keeper league draft last night...I was stoked. I couldn't believe he fell that far

Dobber Sports Grand Master

greg Olsen should be considered a safe TE as well. Moreso than Kielce
    Yea, as crazy as it sounds though, his QB is so much worse. Cam is so inaccurate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Yea, as crazy as it sounds though, his QB is so much worse. Cam is so inaccurate.
    Olsen is his favourite target and he has to throw to him even more now than Benjamin is out. I passed on Olsen last year for Pitta and he is probably the most consistent TE in fantasy outisde of Gronk. This year I won't be passing on him.