Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [Mailbag] Ask Laidlaw Anything

Administrator

Default Re: [Mailbag] Ask Laidlaw Anything

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    What are the Sedin's value in a points only Dynasty?

Can they put up similar numbers as last year for the next couple seasons? That would be good enough for me, as I am talks to acquire them, but it means losing youth (Pastrnak will be involved)

Thanks
    Sedins are in serious decline at this point. Their even strength production has fallen from elite to star calibre to average over the past four seasons. They are now relying on power play scoring to really boost their totals. They are certainly capable of sustaining tremendous power play production because of their incredible smarts and vision but eventually their totals are going to fall off.

One area we are seeing a big drop is in goal scoring. Daniel's goals have fallen way off as his shooting percentage has slipped below 9% for three straight seasons after averaging well above 10% for most of his career. Even after these three seasons he is a career 11.3% shooter but considering it's been three straight years of underwhelming production this sub-9% shooting is more of the new norm than an aberration. That tells me he's having a tougher time getting to the dirty areas in order to score, which is never a good sign. So now they are almost fully reliant on having an elite scorer on board to drive up point totals. They've got a great one in Vrbata but he's no spring chicken.

Unless I'm getting serious value I'm not buying Sedin stock. I'm pegging them for about 65 points this season to be re-evaluated each subsequent season depending on how they look.

Given goals are worth double in your league you might find that Pastrnak passes Daniel Sedin as soon as this year so I'd have real concerns about making that deal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by glorybe23 View Post
    thanks for the mailbag metaldude!

Question: Who are your top 5 unsigned players you feel will be signed by a team before opening night?
    Assuming you mean UFAs:

Franson - if the rumours are true and he winds up in Buffalo that's serious business because Rasmus Ristolainen is on the cusp of something and Franson lines up as a huge roadblock. He also potential becomes the most valuable fantasy asset on the Sabres because he could get to 45 points pretty easily as their top power play defenseman.

Zidlicky - still has some gas in the tank as we saw in Detroit. Needs the right situation to prop him up though. Kind of surprised he hasn't landed somewhere like Chicago.

Boyes - 40-point upside isn't the sexiest thing out there but in deep leagues he could have value.

Roy - he showed he has leadership value on teams bereft of veteran talent and can still mesh a little on a scoring line. Doesn't really seem like there's a team out there that has room for him without an injury first so he might need to be a mid-season signing or accept an AHL contract.

Havlat - I can't fathom why but I'm still holding out hope Havlat has one magical season left.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Sedins are in serious decline at this point. Their even strength production has fallen from elite to star calibre to average over the past four seasons. They are now relying on power play scoring to really boost their totals. They are certainly capable of sustaining tremendous power play production because of their incredible smarts and vision but eventually their totals are going to fall off.

One area we are seeing a big drop is in goal scoring. Daniel's goals have fallen way off as his shooting percentage has slipped below 9% for three straight seasons after averaging well above 10% for most of his career. Even after these three seasons he is a career 11.3% shooter but considering it's been three straight years of underwhelming production this sub-9% shooting is more of the new norm than an aberration. That tells me he's having a tougher time getting to the dirty areas in order to score, which is never a good sign. So now they are almost fully reliant on having an elite scorer on board to drive up point totals. They've got a great one in Vrbata but he's no spring chicken.

Unless I'm getting serious value I'm not buying Sedin stock. I'm pegging them for about 65 points this season to be re-evaluated each subsequent season depending on how they look.

Given goals are worth double in your league you might find that Pastrnak passes Daniel Sedin as soon as this year so I'd have real concerns about making that deal.
    Thanks - great insight.

Really torn now - last year, Daniel finished ahead of studs like Getzlaf, Toews, Backstrom, Couture, Monhanan, Parise, etc. in my league. I am hoping that if he can put up similar numbers I'd probably do the deal, as I am hoping to contend this year. Do you see a sharp decline this year or sililar to last? The deal is:

Pastrnak and Edler for Sedins

I like to roll with 7 D and think this really adds some pop to my fwds. But you definitely have me reconsidering....
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Thanks - great insight.

Really torn now - last year, Daniel finished ahead of studs like Getzlaf, Toews, Backstrom, Couture, Monhanan, Parise, etc. in my league. I am hoping that if he can put up similar numbers I'd probably do the deal, as I am hoping to contend this year. Do you see a sharp decline this year or sililar to last? The deal is:

Pastrnak and Edler for Sedins

I like to roll with 7 D and think this really adds some pop to my fwds. But you definitely have me reconsidering....
    Well I'd say that's pretty cheap for both considering Edler isn't really much to lose and the short term payoff could be sizeable.

Dobber Sports Star

Well I'd say that's pretty cheap for both considering Edler isn't really much to lose and the short term payoff could be sizeable.
    Ya that is what I am thinking. Hate to lose Pasty but if I can get a couple of 65-70 point seasons from both its worth it. Thanks again - I really appreciate it
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Giant

Markov or charra? Multi cat league from sig. Who would you prefer?
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    Markov or charra? Multi cat league from sig. Who would you prefer?
    Chara's falling to pieces but he's still a demon in multi-cat pools. I'll take the fewer points for more of everything else.

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for the quick response.
    I was leaning that way myself but then seen how much of a point difference they had and was second guessing.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I was leaning that way myself but then seen how much of a point difference they had and was second guessing.
    Part of the difference is Markov had a really good season and Chara did not. It was like one guy had the high end of variance and the other had the low end.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Is this a top 10 prospects from 2015? Top 10 who haven't yet played an NHL game? Top 10 calder candidates?
    Hope it's not too late... My first idea was the top of 2015 draft. But if you have it ready, I would gladly take both !!!

Thanks again for doing that.
    2014 Champion
    2015 Champion

18 teams league, G ; A ; Pts ; PIM ; +/- ; Wins ; %.
    22 players max/ team but only 8F 4D 2G are used each week.
    Farm or/and 2 way contract: 8F, 4D, 2G

Team
    F- S.Crosby, A.Ovechkin, J.Thornton, T.Johnson, N.Bjugstad, Radulov, Nyquist, R.Strome, Drouin
    D- Faulk, Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Stralman, Gardiner, J.Morrow
    G- Rask, Talbot,

Farm
    Nichushkin, Dvorak, Poirier, N.Ritchie, D.Pouliot, Zadorov, Kuemper, M.Murray, Hackett

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Kessel & Holtby combo or Giroux & Rask combo in a one year H2H league (G,A,P,PIM,PPP,+/-,W,SV,SV%,GAA)?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs2010 View Post
    Kessel & Holtby combo or Giroux & Rask combo in a one year H2H league (G,A,P,PIM,PPP,+/-,W,SV,SV%,GAA)?
    Kessel/Holtby pretty easily. Those two might actually both be better than their counterpart on the other side of the deal.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by haze_tech View Post
    Hope it's not too late... My first idea was the top of 2015 draft. But if you have it ready, I would gladly take both !!!

Thanks again for doing that.
    Okay. But keep in mind, I'm not much of a draftnic.

Top 10 from NHL draft not named McDavid or Eichel:

Strome
    Marner
    Rantanen
    Zacha
    Barzal
    Provorov
    Meier
    Crouse
    Connor
    Bracco

Who haven't played an NHL game yet:

Strome
    Domi
    Ehlers
    Nylander
    Marner
    Larkin
    Rantanen
    Mantha
    Dal Colle
    Fabbri

Dobber Sports Expert

Your thoughts on Artemi Panarin ? What kind of upside does he have?

Same thing with Chris Tierney ? He had a very high P/60 last year, playing third line minutes as a rookie.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Your thoughts on Artemi Panarin ? What kind of upside does he have?

Same thing with Chris Tierney ? He had a very high P/60 last year, playing third line minutes as a rookie.
    I don't have too many thoughts on Panarin since I haven't seen him play. Feels like he may be destined for third line duties or maybe even starting in the minors.

Tierney had a moderately high P/60 last season. Not elite and given the few minutes he played it's within the realm of good fortune. I also don't see his path to top-six minutes. Strikes me as a nice third line guy right now, though we've certainly seen those types develop into much more in San Jose. I need to see a larger sample.