Thread: Weird question... EK or McDavid?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Weird question... EK or McDavid?

The reason I posted in the salary cap section is because it's an auction draft.

Question to the forum, based on the league in my signature what kind of draft strategy do you go in with?

Do you use your cap space on a guy like EK to build out a solid D group or go for the gusto with a guy like McDavid who will take all my remaining cap but should leave enough to fill out the rest of my roster with minimum bid guys at the end of the draft. (Need 3 D a total of 9 drafted players with $161K in cap space), so guys like MDZ, Meyers, JJ etc... could like be waited on until the very end of the draft).

Alternately a strategy could be to go with a guy like Keith, plus a guy like Duchene (maybe Eichel) and then fodder for the rest. I'm very limited in cap space available, and will definitely have to pick up atleast 3-4 auction minimum type guys to even ice a team, but as you can see I have some good contracts and some high end guys (a previous post had me change strategy to keep all my high cost high end guys, as there will be little to none available in the draft this year with the exception of McDavid, Kopitar, OV (whom I don't have enough cap space to win in an auction unless I drop one of Giroux, Hall or Malkin).

It could be all for naught though, as a new manager is joining and has tons of cap space... might just bid McD above what I can afford to pay for him, but what do you guys think?

Final option is to do nothing early in the draft (which is painful!), but have lots of cap space at the end comparable to the other teams, and go boom or bust on a bunch of potential breakout guys at solid cap hits, and hope 2-3 of them hit... (Jenner, Shultz, Terravanien, Granlund, Stewart kind of players), and then build a solid farm team for down the road, but I'm more in win now mode based on my current team and contracts.

I like the idea of one high end D (Keith, PK, Pietrangelo, EK, Faulk and Hedman are all going back into the draft due to expiring contracts), and boom or bust on the depth guys so I can get 2-4 of them and hope 1-2 bust out.

REP for your thoughts!!
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Weird question... EK or McDavid?

You appear to have a strong team from your signature... how do you compare against other teams? If I were you I would go for EK, he will be expensive, but not as expensive as McDavid.

And EK will help you with a win this year. McDavid might break out quickly or might take a year. I am not patient when I have a good team... so I would go with the guy that can help me now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    You appear to have a strong team from your signature... how do you compare against other teams? If I were you I would go for EK, he will be expensive, but not as expensive as McDavid.

And EK will help you with a win this year. McDavid might break out quickly or might take a year. I am not patient when I have a good team... so I would go with the guy that can help me now.
    Yeah - kind of my thinking as well (although I really like Hedman who will be substantially cheaper than EK given he was hurt last year). My team as a keeper team is top 2 with a lot of other top end talent spread around. I made some good deals last year and traded some expiring contracts for guys like Forsberg and Burns. I'm bringing Huberdeau up from my farm team, but really I have a 2 year window with the contracts I have since I depleted my farm team in trades (Galchenyuk, Tarasenko, Granlund) to win it 2 years ago.
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23

Dobber Sports Pro

I would go for McDavid, supposed to be a special elite player, and even if you get him and shop him via trade you would net out a huge payoff IMO on it.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    I would go for McDavid, supposed to be a special elite player, and even if you get him and shop him via trade you would net out a huge payoff IMO on it.
    This is a best option... you should be able to move McDavid for a stud D if needed from someones Keepers.
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    I have to agre with GoNucks here. McDavid wins this battle IMO.