Thread: Help/Strategy for Newby for Upcoming Draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Help/Strategy for Newby for Upcoming Draft

Ok, so a few close friends are starting up a (non-keeper) fantasy football league. None of us have played before and most don't even follow the NFL closely (including myself), but we thought it would be some good fun. Here's the info:

6 teams (yeah, I know it isn't enough, but we have our reasons)
    1 QB
    1 Flex (including QB and also RB, WR, TE)
    2 WR
    2 RB
    1 TE
    1 Team Def
    1 Kicker
    6 Bench

Now I'm into fantasy hockey, so I know it is as much about strategy as it is about knowing the game. The strategies I'm reading all say to draft RB and WR in the first few rounds and wait on QBs. However, with this being a 6 team league, does that still apply? Would I not be better off grabbing Luck and Rodgers with my first 2 picks if I am able (stay with me here, you're probably thinking I am the prototypical rookie, and I probably am)

Using a random website's projections for next year and the fantasy points generated by each player within our scoring, Luck and Rodgers have a much bigger gap (89 and 85 points respectively) between them and the 12th best QB than the top 2 RBs (52 and 48 points) or WRs (61 and 52 points) do compared to the 12th RB or WR respectively. Gronkowski also has a wider gap (67 points) compared to the 6th TE.

For example: if I add the projected points from:
    Luck + Rodgers + Gronkowski + 11th and 12th best RB + 11th and 12th best WR I still get more points than average of the remaining top 12 at each position (top 6 TE). It isn't much higher than the average (about 5%), but this calculation is worse than the true scenario as I would theoretically be able to grab RBs and WRs better than 11 and 12.

Now, have I missed the point of grabbing top WR and RB. Is it a case that mid range RBs and WRs are harder to predict than mid range QBs, so I may actually get stuck with the 15th or 20th best at their positions? Or could there be a case made for this strategy in such a small league.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Help/Strategy for Newby for Upcoming Draft

You have the numbers right. Even in a 6 team league, the team with 2 elite QBs is going to have a big advantage. The value-based drafting model you are using assumes twice the number of WRs and RBs and a RB/WR flex (that said, most VBDers do advocate going a little deeper for their base lines). And even then, many would argue that Luck or Rodgers in the first makes sense. But with a league this size, you are almost just as likely to draft a top 5 RB or WR in the 5th round as the first.

Dobber Sports Expert

You're correct in your assessment to wait on QBs. However, this only applies to 1QB leagues. Now generally we are talking about 10, 12, 16 team leagues here and a 2QB system in a 16 team league can be dreadful. I would do exactly what you say here, grab Luck/Rodgers with your first picks (in that order). But if both are gone by your second pick, I would lean towards WR or Gronk. Chances are your top 5 RBs (Bell, Charles, Lacy, Peterson & Lynch) will all be gone in the first 7 picks. If Luck & Rodgers are gone by pick 2, I wouldn't be in a significant rush to get your second QB, you can wait a few rounds and target some of the likes of Ryan, Newton, Wilson & Roethlisberger.

Dobber Sports Star

Since it's a small league and not a keeper, I would try that strategy out. If it doesn't work, well you have next year!

2 elite QB would probably work well here.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If your flex spot allows QBS. you have to go with 2 QBs. If I do not get Gronkowski, I would draft a third QB before filling my TE spot, Then you can rotate in the 3rd QB on your QBS bye weeks. Getting the 6th best TE is not much different then the 4th best TE, they are always a guess. And you can always rotate in TE from waiver wire for matchups. That is if you are unable to get Gronk.