Thread: Evaluate this team, what are my holes

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Evaluate this team, what are my holes

Hey guys

Just completed a new 16 team dynasty keeper league and was wondering what your opinions were on my team. 12F 6D 2G 5 B with 82 GP maximum and a 10 man farm

stats are G,A,P, PPP, SOG, HITS, BLKS, PIMS and GAA,SV, W, SV%

My Team:

Forwards:

Landeskog
    Mackinnon
    Getzlaf
    Wheeler
    Kadri
    Kesler
    Brouwer
    Lowry
    jaskin
    Lazar
    Datsyuk
    Little
    Eakin
    Paranteau

Defense:

Weber
    Muzzin
    Despres
    Ristolainen
    Zadorov
    Polak

Goalies

Varlamov
    Hiller
    Kuemper
    Enroth

Farm:

Marner, matheson, perlini, barzal, zacha, bittner, bracco, point, leipsic, M Hellberg

My needs: I think my needs are a top end goalie to go with varlamov and maybe a scoring D Man.

Thoughts?

Am i right or am i way off

Thanks for any opinions
    Multi-Cat League G,A,P, PIMS,HITS,BLKS, SOG, PPP, GAA, Sv%, Wins
    15 Team Dynasty Salary cap league using AAV
    Active: 12 FWDS 6 Defence 2 Goalies
    Bench: 5
    Farm: 10

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad
    D: Chychrun, Sergachev, Dumba, Ty Smith, OEL, Dermott, Brodie
    G:Rittich, Quick, Cal Petersen, Desmith

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

2021 rookie Draft:: 4 1st rd picks

2022 draft: 6 1st rd picks

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Evaluate this team, what are my holes

I think your focus should be to acquire a shot machine. I imagine you are fine in the other categories like hits, pims, blocks and decent in points. But I can't imagine you being a solid contender for shots.

Other than that, I'd try to acquire a goalie that might have a long-term future. A whole lot of uncertainty there after Varlamov - but I wouldn't overpay to make it happen. I'd see what it would take to get someone like Lack though, who could be the starter this year - but the other owner might not know that.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

One hole I see is at Goalie.. and its not necessarily a hole for your team, its a hole in the league. A start 2 goalie league with 16 teams means that 32 goalies will be starting.

Varlarmov is a the started in Colorado, but Hiller is questionable for winning the starting position. It might be difficult to get the max starts if Hiller is not able to obtain 60% of the starts. I can not see Kuemper or Enroth getting many starts as they are both behind workhorse goalies (unless you are a disbeliever in Dubnyk).

As for forwards and defense, I would say you have a strong mix of talent there. I am hoping Ristolainen has a big year and puts up points for you.

As for your thought on adding a scoring D-man. Its always nice to add more D scoring, but it is always costly. I would suggest your goalie situation is the biggest concern.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    One hole I see is at Goalie.. and its not necessarily a hole for your team, its a hole in the league. A start 2 goalie league with 16 teams means that 32 goalies will be starting.

Varlarmov is a the started in Colorado, but Hiller is questionable for winning the starting position. It might be difficult to get the max starts if Hiller is not able to obtain 60% of the starts. I can not see Kuemper or Enroth getting many starts as they are both behind workhorse goalies (unless you are a disbeliever in Dubnyk).

As for forwards and defense, I would say you have a strong mix of talent there. I am hoping Ristolainen has a big year and puts up points for you.

As for your thought on adding a scoring D-man. Its always nice to add more D scoring, but it is always costly. I would suggest your goalie situation is the biggest concern.
    yes getting the maximum will be quite difficult since its set at 164 total ( 82 x 2 positions) and the minimum is 100 but think i should hit that easily.

I am pursuing alll options when it comes to G's but their value is extremely high and i do not want to overpay for nothing. Lack would be a good idea but that owner doesn't have much in terms of G's and he drafted the Carolina tandem as his first 2.

Thanks for the post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I think your focus should be to acquire a shot machine. I imagine you are fine in the other categories like hits, pims, blocks and decent in points. But I can't imagine you being a solid contender for shots.

Other than that, I'd try to acquire a goalie that might have a long-term future. A whole lot of uncertainty there after Varlamov - but I wouldn't overpay to make it happen. I'd see what it would take to get someone like Lack though, who could be the starter this year - but the other owner might not know that.
    very good point, will try to ship one of my multi cat guys for a SOG/Points producer

F: Larkin, Zibanejad, Gaudreau, Tavares, Laine, Lafreniere, Suzuki, Dach, Comtois, Glass, Zadina, Villardi, Mittlestadt, Virtanen, Saad

Farm: Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Podkolzin, Gunler, Drysdale, Byram, Askarov, Ukko-pekka Lukkonen, Dustin Wolf

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post

Agree- Staal and/or Skinner come to mind as very cheap options with a reasonable chance at a healthy uptick in production this year. E Kane another good one- but he might be harder to acquire nowadays...

Dobber Sports Pro

I think you correct that you need to find an upgrade in goal asap and your D could use upgrading, but some very nice prospects and forwards. Matheson should be a stud in your multi cats!

I agree you could a shot machine as stated above, guys like Staal, Skinner, Parise are a few to aim for. Grigorenko also could be a sneaky good find as he quite likely is going to line up as Colorado's #2 C and could provide some very nice offense.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

thanks for all the responses guys, since this thread i have traded mackinnon + zacha + hiller + my 1st next year ( i have someone else's as well) for freddy andersen and khudobin, i did not want to trade mackinnon but goalies have extremely high value in this league and this should give me the majority of the starts out of anaheim IMO

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by distantyeti58 View Post
    thanks for all the responses guys, since this thread i have traded mackinnon + zacha + hiller + my 1st next year ( i have someone else's as well) for freddy andersen and khudobin, i did not want to trade mackinnon but goalies have extremely high value in this league and this should give me the majority of the starts out of anaheim IMO
    I reeeeeally don't like that move. Seems like you made it out of desperation. That's a potential top 10 player for the next decade, an elite prospect, average to below average starter and a first round next year for 2/3 of one team worth of goalies. What if Gibson steals the show? What are you left with? I'm sorry but I think this was a very poor move.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by distantyeti58 View Post
    It is hard to give up promising youth but you did so with a purpose. Having a fantasy team (in this format) that has well below average goaltending is no fun. You just secured the majority starts for what could be the best team in the league. This move gives you a chance to compete this year. Nice move!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    I reeeeeally don't like that move. Seems like you made it out of desperation. That's a potential top 10 player for the next decade, an elite prospect, average to below average starter and a first round next year for 2/3 of one team worth of goalies. What if Gibson steals the show? What are you left with? I'm sorry but I think this was a very poor move.
    while this is true and I reallllly wanted mackinnon, but the costs of goalies in this league is so high and you have to give value to get value. Yes gibson could come in and steal the show in anaheim but i personally do not think that will happen, i think gibson gets traded this year or next but only time will tell with that.

Yes i gave up a potential top 10 talent but i am competing now and needed a goalie.