Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hall VS Getzlaf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Hall VS Getzlaf

Hi everyone!

I posted earlyer about who should I keep. Followed advices (see keepers in bold). I'm working on the following trade:

What we've agreed on so far:
    O'Reilly, Skinner, Schultz, 3rd & 5th round picks
    for
    Bonino, Nielson, Seth Jones, 2nd & 4th round picks...

Not much here... I just want to get higher picks... and the 3 players above are drops... I don't really care about what I receive (though I could leverage Jones...)

The one thing we're still discussing... is for me to include Getzlaf and him to add Hall.

So short story long What do you think... should I trade for Hall (6M$) giving Getzlaf (8.25M$)? you can also comment on the trade above.

Thx for the advices!
    League 1:
    2022-23 Champ!
    Keep 12, Points only, Salary CAP 96M$, 11 teams. 10 F, 4 D, 1 G + 5 bench
    Weekly lineup (H2H), 3 FA/year
    F: MacKinnon, Nylander, Larkin, B. Tkachuk, Eriksson EK, S. Jarvis, Newhook, RNH, Nichuskin, Keller, Raddysh, Tippett, Berggren
    D: Chabot,
    Byram, Durzi, Sandin
    G: Hill, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Hall VS Getzlaf

Player for player, I do not like the trade above, but like you said, you just want to improve picks and are willing to use non-keepers to do so. You have accomplished your goal, and I applaud you for that. If the other GM wants to/needs to use ROR, Skinner, or Schultz as a keeper, then I wouldn't think that he is much competition for you, so don't hesitate to make sure that you at least make that much happen.

Onto Hall vs Getzlaf. My gut says Hall, and it says that this is a very easy decision to make. You save $2.25 M in cap space, and you're getting a two-time, top 10 scorer, who is just 23 years old, and about to have Connor McDavid as a running mate for what is assumed to be a very, very long time. Of course, the big issue is his injury history.

I posted somewhere else that Hall has a career 0.97 PPG, and this was before the arrival/emergence of many of the offensive weapons who they have now. I think that he should easily score at a 1.1 PPG (90 points over 82 games), and without too much of a stretch, bump that up to a 1.15 - 1.22 PPG pace (95 - 100 points over 82 games) with McDavid by his side in some form or another (ES and/or PP).

Now, you need to factor in his injury history and determine how many games you need out of him to match Getzlaf's projected point totals. Let's put Getzlaf at 80 points. At 1.15 PPG, Hall would need to play 70 games to get there. That would be the second highest games played in one season of his career. Can he do it? I think that, going forward, he will reign in some of his "enthusiasm" for physical plays and learn to how to better protect himself, and therefore stay in the lineup on a more consistent basis.

To put the nail in the coffin on this, let's do a couple simple calculations. Let's say Hall is somewhat injury riddled and therefore puts up 70 points. That would be equivalent to 11.67 points per $1 M. If Getzlaf hits his PPG potential and puts up 80 points, that is equivalent to 9.69 points per $1 M. Even if he's hurt, Hall provides better value and allows you to spend over $2 M elsewhere on upgrading another player or players.

Easy pick is Taylor Hall for me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In your league I would take Hall over Getzlaf every time.

Hall has more upside, is younger, and carries a lower cap. His one downside is that he's injury prone. Worth the risk imo.

This would be a great trade for you. Better keeper in Hall, more cap space to play with, and better picks (when all players involved are drops anyways).
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Genius

In this situation I would take Hall. Getz is the safe play but the risk in going Hall is mitigated by the cap savings.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Legend

I like Hall over Getzlaf but do not like the proposed deal ^ AT ALL to be honest.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

If you're not keeping those guys that's a good move to maximize assets. I also like Hall more than Getzlaf for your league.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

Dobber Sports Veteran

I prefer Hall to Getzlaf.

Dobber Sports Genius

Yup, I prefer Hall to Getzlaf for your league....
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like Hall over Getz, I only like the trade if you do include Getz for Hall since the rest are drops anyways. If they were not drops I would not like the trade but your losing nothing to get some higher picks and a better keeper so I pull the trigger if you can include Getz for Hall.

Dobber Sports Genius

Hall is projected to play fewer games but be a point per game plus player whereas Getz is not. The point differential between the two is expected to be mimimal. As others have said, save the cash, and go with Hall.

the other offer doesn't seem to offer you good value....
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    In this situation I would take Hall. Getz is the safe play but the risk in going Hall is mitigated by the cap savings.
    This right here.

Dobber Sports Pro

I am on the Getzlaf side...Hall style of play is going to lead to many injuries...bull in a china shop type of player and in fantasy I want the every PPG player in Getzlaf.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    I am on the Getzlaf side...Hall style of play is going to lead to many injuries...bull in a china shop type of player and in fantasy I want the every PPG player in Getzlaf.
    Fun fact. Getzlaf used to get injured a lot too. And is 9 years older than Hall. And wasn't a PPG player last year.

Done! Went like this:
    Getzlaf, O'Reilly, Skinner, Schultz, 3rd round pick (2015-16)
    for
    Hall, S. Jones, Nielson, Bonino, 2nd round pick (2015-16)

Thx everyone for your useful comments!
    ROR, Skinner & Schultz were in fact drops. So on that part of the deal... gave a 3rd round for a 2nd round.
    As for Getzlaf VS Hall, you guys helped a lot! I see the upside Hall has.

Thx again!
    League 1:
    2022-23 Champ!
    Keep 12, Points only, Salary CAP 96M$, 11 teams. 10 F, 4 D, 1 G + 5 bench
    Weekly lineup (H2H), 3 FA/year
    F: MacKinnon, Nylander, Larkin, B. Tkachuk, Eriksson EK, S. Jarvis, Newhook, RNH, Nichuskin, Keller, Raddysh, Tippett, Berggren
    D: Chabot,
    Byram, Durzi, Sandin
    G: Hill, Schmid

The Great One

Maximizing assets is always the best play- so nothing wrong with that. However I have to wonder if you couldnt have gotten a tad more? If those guysARE keepers for him Im not sure why you had to give a 3rd back? maybe Im being nitpicky here but I would have pushed for a 5th/6th back with those assets going his way. I also prefer Hall but it assuredly IS a gamble- so again the pick swaps could have reflected that better.

All in all you got value where you were gonna rop for free and added an exciting up and coming young talent. The trade was a success from where you're sitting- I just wonder if it couldnt have been marginally MORE successful :P