Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keep 4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Keep 4

It looks like you're in good shape given the details about your draft to be honest. You could even wait maybe a round or two later since people might bite on drafting Manning and Ben earlier, and save your pick for Matt Ryan or even later with someone like Matt Stafford. The biggest thing about QB's is VBD - value based drafting, essentially what you're looking at is the gap between lets say the number 5 QB (i.e., Manning) vs. the number 10 QB (i.e., Newton/Ryan/Romo/Tannehill/E. Manning). Last year the 5th best QB scored 306 fpts (using standard scoring to one decimal) while the 10th best QB scored 269 fpts, both QB's played a full 16 games, the difference divided by the amount of games played averages out to be 2.3 fantasy points/game difference. Where you would draft a top 5 (with the exception of most likely Luck and Rogers) compared to a top 10 QB is a minimal week to week difference in fan points. The other positions have much sharper drop offs once you delve into a top 5RB vs a top 10-15 RB, the tiers are much more defined than they are for the QB's (again with the exception of Rogers and Luck).

Either way, you'd be best off redrafting a QB, and in doing so, you don't even need to feel the pressure to burn a pick in the first few rounds to get decent return.

Hope this helps. Also, there are a tonne of good articles on the principles of value based drafting, it can really help you along your way in future drafts.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

I would still explore trading for an upgrade WR. If you believe Roethlisberger will indeed be there for you, then all the more reason to package Forsett w/a pick for a top WR to pair w/Alshon.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewpaloop View Post
    13 team Standard Keeper league - 1 QB - keep 4 - Loaded with picks early picks (1,1,2,2,2...)

Notables:

Peterson, Adrian
    Hill, Jeremy
    Jeffery, Alshon
    Forsett, Justin
    Benjamin, Kelvin
    Romo
    Tennehill
    Bell, Joique
    Floyd, Micheal
    Smith, Torrey
    Wright, Kendall

Peterson
    Hill
    Forsett
    Benjamin.

I like Jeffery, but do not trust Cutler. And since I like Benjamin as much as Jeffery from a talent perspective, I like Cam A LOT more than Cutler. He's also much younger than Cutler.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Expert

draft mistake #1....worrying about filling up all your roster spots rather than drafting skill positions...You should never take a defense that early in the draft. 2nd round is still too early for TE, unless its Gronk, but he would be a keeper

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    draft mistake #1....worrying about filling up all your roster spots rather than drafting skill positions...You should never take a defense that early in the draft. 2nd round is still too early for TE, unless its Gronk, but he would be a keeper
    I know it's early but technically because there are four keepers per team it's actually like taking a DEF in the 6th rnd.
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GW2 SO2

F: Tavares, Eichel, Hall, Schenn, Arvidson, Miller, Bertuzzi
    D: Karlsson, Pionk, Hronek, Trouba, Schmidt
    Goalies: Dubnyk, Bishop,Griess

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Take a d and kicker with your last two picks!!! you can stream at both positions no problem by playing matchups, especially defense.

DO NOT keep Romo, nothing against him, but def keep AP, hill, Forset and Alshon. (those are pretty sick keepers BTW)....You can get fantastic value at the QB position this year...personally In my redraft I am going to sleep real late at QB and stream Eli/Tannehil or rivers/bradford.
    14 team, keep 6 points only (extra point for ppp). no position req.

Malkin, Tavares, Benn, Seguin, Hudler, Little, Barkov, fisher,Backes

Keith , Kronwall, Green , letang, Edler

Quick, Crawford

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Hey Guys, Thanks a lot for all your input so far.

Here's some more information that may help. I lean towards keeping AP, Hill, Forsett, & Alshon at this point. We do have a flex so I could play all three RB's.

Come draft it looks like the only QB's being kept are Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Brees. I may use my 1st rnd - 2nd pick to grab Payton or Roethlisberger (Depending who or if they get taken). I then have the 11th rnd pick in the first to grab the best WR.

With my 3 second round picks I could fill up my WR, TE, and perhaps a good DST. I dunno.
    This sounds like a solid strategy. Although I would try grabbing a top WR with the first pick and then get a QB with your 11th pick to pick a QB. my guess is the likes of Tannehill, Ryan, Newton, will be available. I personally hold off on QBs for as long as I can.

Dobber Sports Expert

[QUOTE=dbrzrk;1503830]Take a d and kicker with your last two picks!!! you can stream at both positions no problem by playing matchups, especially defense.[QUOTE]

Cannot echo this statement enough. Even top defenses are suspect to bad weeks, especially away from home. Taking a D in the middle of your draft is a significant mistake. Kickers are a dime a dozen as well.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I know it's early but technically because there are four keepers per team it's actually like taking a DEF in the 6th rnd.
    That is still something that no one should ever do. Going after DST or non-Gronk, Olsen, Kelce, Graham TEs is in my mind a waste of your accumulated picks.

I think there is an (almost) clear consensus here on who to keep. I would go WR before QB with both firsts if Peyton isn't there (and maybe if he is). With only 13 teams, there are going to be quality QBs there in the second. Grab 2.