• EKarlsson

24 57.14%
  • VHedman

18 42.86%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Better all around Defenceman

Banned

Default Re: Better all around Defenceman

Sorry if I come across rude or arrogant, I just do not understand how underrated EK can be sometimes. He is very close to approaching Lidstrom territory.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I can say that because I am right. I don't need to argue this further. I didn't say he was truly elite defensively. The proof is in the god damn pudding of why he is without a doubt one of the best all-around d-men in the game. Choose to ignore it if you want.
    I DO choose to ignore him as one of the better all-around Dmen. My list says that because I am not biased towards either player, or anyone on my list.

You are without a doubt one of the smarter hockey guys on here (especially on all things Senators) but when it comes to fantasy advice re: Senators, you are biased. Anyone who spends any amount of time on these forums knows this. The fact that you have a biased opinion blurs it and lessens the validity of it.

Again, just my opinion. Good talking this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if I come across rude or arrogant, I just do not understand how underrated EK can be sometimes. He is very close to approaching Lidstrom territory.
    LOL! I am not taking this as rude at all, more of a quality back and forth with two differing opinions.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

All around my top guys would include Doughty, Weber, Karlsson, Keith and Subban. Placing an order is super tough, but it would probably be a coin flip for me personally between Doughty and Karlsson. All 5 of these guys have the same thing in common though, they can all absolutely take over a game, and however you measure that between offence/defence or PP/PK doesn't matter to me, there may be a couple other D with this level of skill but its an exclusive group.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    There's a reason he doesn't kill penalties. To me, that's an important part of anyone who's the best "all around" defenseman. If you are going to ask about all around Dmen, you need to look at who plays excellent in both ends of their rink and in all situations. Not only offensive Dmen but also who goes out and plays on the PK with success as well.
    The reason is pretty obvious: he's already out there for close to half an hour every night.

But I do get your larger point, which is that this is an "all-around" list while Karlsson's game skews offensive. For all we know, Karlsson might be just great on the PK, but how would we know? Why are you going to put a guy like that on the PK when you can have him out at even strength or the PP for 30 minutes? Lots of guys can play the PK. A skill set like Karlsson's makes it a waste for Karlsson to be deployed in an all-around capacity.

Also, I feel like Giordano needs to get some love in threads like these. In my mind he can not be very far out of the top-5.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Sage

I agree with Axeman.

He has made the most rational argument, IMO.

And to compare Karlsson to Lidstrom... LOL.

Read the title: Best All-Around Defenseman... what are you going to tell me next? Ovechkin is a better all-around player than Pavel Datsyuk?

Again, I reference the subject of this thread - "Better All-Around Defenseman". Not: who is the better player or who would you rather have.

If I'm going 1 on 1 here, I would rather have Hedman out there shutting down Karlsson than Karlsson out there shutting down Karlsson - he'd make himself look foolish in more ways than one. And therein lies the rub.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    I agree with Axeman.

He has made the most rational argument, IMO.

And to compare Karlsson to Lidstrom... LOL.

Read the title: Best All-Around Defenseman... what are you going to tell me next? Ovechkin is a better all-around player than Pavel Datsyuk?

Again, I reference the subject of this thread - "Better All-Around Defenseman". Not: who is the better player or who would you rather have.

If I'm going 1 on 1 here, I would rather have Hedman out there shutting down Karlsson than Karlsson out there shutting down Karlsson - he'd make himself look foolish in more ways than one. And therein lies the rub.
    thats one of the most illogical statements I've read in this thread. And that's saying something. I think my IQ just went down a couple of points by reading that. If you put Crosby out there to shut down Crosby, the offensive Crosby will win. What's your point?

we don't need a reading lesson. We've read the title. It's not "who is better defensively", in which case that is actually a debate between Karlsson and Hedman as well. Like I mentioned earlier Hedman was not good just a couple of seasons ago and was labelled by many as a bust. Funny how he loses that tag but not Karlsson. People love to hate the best, it's as simple as that.

Ask Swedes who have no bias whatsoever in this debate and they'll give you the right answer. They saw the best dominate at the Olympics and win two Norris trophies. nobody is comparing him to lidstrom right now. But he is on that track. You don't have to be a big physical shit down guy to be good defensively.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Drew Doughty is the best defenceman in the game right now. Period.

I think Victor Hedman is a better all-around defenceman than Erik Karlsson, but I don't think that makes Hedman a better defenceman than Karlsson. In the vein of the question, Hedman is a better all-around defenceman, but Karlsson's offense is so good that given the choice, I would take Karlsson over Hedman. A lot of people on this thread seem to have trouble distinguishing "better defenceman" and "better all-around defenceman". Yes they are different.

Lastly, comparing anyone in the current NHL to Lidstrom is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. Nobody is anywhere close to the level Lidstrom was at his prime. If you're thinking Karlsson is anywhere close, then you must only remember his AGE 40-42 seasons when he was slowing down but STILL WINNING NORRIS TROPHIES.

Karlsson couldn't hold Lidstrom's jock strap in Nick's prime years.

Dobber Sports Sage

thats one of the most illogical statements I've read in this thread. And that's saying something. I think my IQ just went down a couple of points by reading that. If you put Crosby out there to shut down Crosby, the offensive Crosby will win. What's your point?

we don't need a reading lesson. We've read the title. It's not "who is better defensively", in which case that is actually a debate between Karlsson and Hedman as well. Like I mentioned earlier Hedman was not good just a couple of seasons ago and was labelled by many as a bust. Funny how he loses that tag but not Karlsson. People love to hate the best, it's as simple as that.

Ask Swedes who have no bias whatsoever in this debate and they'll give you the right answer. They saw the best dominate at the Olympics and win two Norris trophies. nobody is comparing him to lidstrom right now. But he is on that track. You don't have to be a big physical shit down guy to be good defensively.
    Ah CRAP! I really wrote "Erik Karlsson is the best defenseman in the history of the NHL" but it came out all funny! Silly autocorrect!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

I think Victor Hedman is a better all-around defenceman than Erik Karlsson, but I don't think that makes Hedman a better defenceman than Karlsson. In the vein of the question, Hedman is a better all-around defenceman, but Karlsson's offense is so good that given the choice, I would take Karlsson over Hedman. A lot of people on this thread seem to have trouble distinguishing "better defenceman" and "better all-around defenceman". Yes they are different.

Lastly, comparing anyone in the current NHL to Lidstrom is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. Nobody is anywhere close to the level Lidstrom was at his prime. If you're thinking Karlsson is anywhere close, then you must only remember his AGE 40-42 seasons when he was slowing down but STILL WINNING NORRIS TROPHIES.

My thoughts exactly.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Banned

Like i said I wasn't comparing him to lidstrom right now. Karlsson is not even in his prime and has already won two Norris trophies, would have been three if he didn't get hurt. I think he is absolutely on that trajectory. Players get better defensively as years go by and he already has better or equal offence than lidstrom.

As for doughty, agreed. Only guy I would compare to Karlsson St all.

Like i said I wasn't comparing him to lidstrom right now. Karlsson is not even in his prime and has already won two Norris trophies, would have been three if he didn't get hurt. I think he is absolutely on that trajectory. Players get better defensively as years go by and he already has better or equal offence than lidstrom.

As for doughty, agreed. Only guy I would compare to Karlsson St all.
    We can agree to disagree on Karlsson's trajectory and his comparison to Lidstrom and I'm ok with that. Differing opinions are fine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Ah CRAP! I really wrote "Erik Karlsson is the best defenseman in the history of the NHL" but it came out all funny! Silly autocorrect!

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts exactly.
    As usual with Karlsson bashers, you have no real arguments.

Whatever, Karlsson is a better Defenceman and Ovechkin is a better player than Datsyuk. Throw "all around" out the window, at the end of the day best players are the best.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am actually shocked that there is so little talk about OEL not already closing in as a top 5 all around defenseman. The fact that he is the top player on his team at this point, might be due to his team being so mediocre(but i feel that even when their young guys turn the team around, he will be the best player on their team.) He is superior in his skating ability and defines grit, finesse when needed. His mobility is on par with Karlsson and his +/- is not a definition of his game. He takes control of a game and gives a horrible offense a possibility of winning on both sides. Maybe he doesn't cut the top 5 this year but as someone said in a previous post i have no doubt he will be named in the top 5 next year if a injury isn't present. I feel that he is a mold between what you get with doughty(physicality/leadership)/karlsson(fitness, mobility). Or maybe i am biased and am keeping him in a keep 4, 12 team league! You can decide that!

I pick karlsson
    12 Team Keeper League
    Keep Any 4
    Skater Stats : G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, ATOI, SOG, HIT
    Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SV%
    F: Seguin, Giroux, E Kane, Sharp, Kreider, Hornqvist, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Wingels, Fisher, A Lee, Barkov, J Staal, T Pearson
    D: OEL, Carlson, Klingberg, Myers, Schultz, MDZ
    G: Bobrovsky, C Anderson, J Howard

Banned

We can agree to disagree on Karlsson's trajectory and his comparison to Lidstrom and I'm ok with that. Differing opinions are fine.
    Agree with you. I'm not comparing him right now, but in regards to Norris trophies I think it's not really an opinion. He has two in his six seasons. If he plays 20 seasons he will probably win five or six. he would need cups to be compared to Lidstrom (rightly or wrongly)

Agree with you. I'm not comparing him right now, but in regards to Norris trophies I think it's not really an opinion. He has two in his six seasons. If he plays 20 seasons he will probably win five or six. he would need cups to be compared to Lidstrom (rightly or wrongly)
    and a Conn Smythe haha

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bluezbreakaway View Post
    I am actually shocked that there is so little talk about OEL not already closing in as a top 5 all around defenseman. The fact that he is the top player on his team at this point, might be due to his team being so mediocre(but i feel that even when their young guys turn the team around, he will be the best player on their team.) He is superior in his skating ability and defines grit, finesse when needed. His mobility is on par with Karlsson and his +/- is not a definition of his game. He takes control of a game and gives a horrible offense a possibility of winning on both sides. Maybe he doesn't cut the top 5 this year but as someone said in a previous post i have no doubt he will be named in the top 5 next year if a injury isn't present. I feel that he is a mold between what you get with doughty(physicality/leadership)/karlsson(fitness, mobility). Or maybe i am biased and am keeping him in a keep 4, 12 team league! You can decide that!

I pick karlsson
    Funny- I was just thinking this today- a bad market is masking one of the best talents in our generation. He is sooooo goddamn good- and this thread is evidence of how little recognition he gets. Im not even a fntasy owner- wish I was though...