Thread: Keeper: Duchene or Hornqvist?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Keeper: Duchene or Hornqvist?

With O'Reilly leaving Colorado you would have to think that this opens up the #1C spot for Duchene to have another big year. He has ppg potential and with his new resposibility and probable added powerplay time, is he worth more than Hornqvist on a deep pittspurgh forward unit?

H2H Points System: G (3), A (2), +/- (1/-1), PPP (0.5), Hits (0.1), Blocks (0.2)

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Keeper: Duchene or Hornqvist?

I think he is, but more for keeper name value than actual points (I think Hornqvist out-paces him next season). If this is a trade I want Hornqvist, if this is establishing your last keeper take Duchene and redraft Hornqvist as I think he slides further.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Deity

I didnt realize that O'Reilly had overtaken the 1C role from Duchene last year. I just thought they both had down years. I don't see how O'Reilly leaving changes anything for Duchene.

That being said, with this setup I prefer Hornqvist.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

COL's top six last year was most commonly:

Landeskog-O'Reilly-MacKinnon
    Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla

Roy is a big fan of his veteran players on his PP1.
    Most commonly it was Tanguay-ROR-Iggy.
    ALEX TANGUAY RYAN OREILLY JAROME IGINLA N/A 10.5%
    JAROME IGINLA NATHAN MACKINNON RYAN OREILLY N/A 8.5%
    GABRIEL LANDESKOG NATHAN MACKINNON RYAN OREILLY N/A 8%
    JAMIE MCGINN MATT DUCHENE JAROME IGINLA N/A 7.5%

ROR is gone.
    Soderberg is in.

Yes, there's a nice bump for Duchene because Roy wasn't giving him young linemates or PP1 time.
    So perhaps there's more hope for him.

I'm gonna go with Hornqvist though.
    I just think Roy expects a lot of two-way game out of his centers - and it will prohibit Duchene a bit from offensive stats.

If Hornqvist is paired with Crosby... it's gonna be dynamic.
    An 82gp Hornqvist, IF with Crosby for 60+ of those games... he's a darkhorse for 80+pts himself.

Dobber Sports Expert

In a league that gives a bonus for goals Hornqvist is the better choice. He should have like 10 goals more than Duchene, a better +/- and more hits.

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow a rare day when I see things a little differently than the heavyweights - but for me I'm taking Duchene. And yes, I think it's extremely close with this setup.

Personally I see Horny as a slight bit of an injury risk and view Duchene as being primed to start flirting with PPG. While I do love Horny's situation, especially being the garbage front-man on that filthy PP, I just believe Duchene will be the better fantasy producer, as early as this season (but cautiously the same now and better in 2-3 years).

Even in PIT there's only so many points to go around - and you have to assume that Sid, Geno, Kes and Letang (when healthy) will be the big dogs. I don't think Horny's points will "suffer" per se, but I also don't think they'll spike too much either. Whereas I think you see Dutchie's production thrust him back into that "1C" spotlight.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Giant

I would prefer Duchene in a keeper but Hornqvist in a 1 year.

Since this thread is in the one year section yet it implies a keeper perspective, maybe a Mod could move it to the keeper section so that the OP may get more specific views/answers?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

Hornqvist is probably the better `known` stat line which would probably suit most fantasy GM`s just fine, while Duchene seems to be mostly about possible upside. Do we see the possible breakout of 13-14 with a few more goals ? Or do we see him settling in the 55+ zone.

Depending on where you are drafting I would probably go for the upside of Duchene but its clearly a gamble on my part because I think he tests 70 points again
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Genius

In this league, I would prefer Hornqvist
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I would prefer Duchene in a keeper but Hornqvist in a 1 year.

Since this thread is in the one year section yet it implies a keeper perspective, maybe a Mod could move it to the keeper section so that the OP may get more specific views/answers?
    Thanks for the response.

However, I believe this thread should have remained in the non-keeper section because even though I am choosing a keeper for next season, I am only interested in the single season value of each player. We are not allowed to keep the same keepers for more than one season, so long-term value is not taken into consideration.

Does anybody think Hornqvist will be moved off the top powerplay unit with Kessel's arrival (both RW). Or will Horny always have a spot in front of the net on PP1 and somebody like Kunitz gets bumped?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by niceguydrp View Post
    Thanks for the response.

However, I believe this thread should have remained in the non-keeper section because even though I am choosing a keeper for next season, I am only interested in the single season value of each player. We are not allowed to keep the same keepers for more than one season, so long-term value is not taken into consideration.

Does anybody think Hornqvist will be moved off the top powerplay unit with Kessel's arrival (both RW). Or will Horny always have a spot in front of the net on PP1 and somebody like Kunitz gets bumped?
    For next season only, go with Hornqvist. Sure, Duchene could get more points but I doubt he gets more fantasy points in your league. Hornqvist's spot on the PP1 is safe in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Giant

I like Duchenne more, although it's very close.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Pro

Give me Duchene. Horny will be in tough to get points with the addition of Kessel.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by niceguydrp View Post
    Oh ok my bad; guess it does make sense.

In light of this, I still like Hornqvist in your format for next year.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay