Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32 72 77 78 79 80 81 82
Results 1,216 to 1,222 of 1222

Thread: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: WHL (World Hockey League) - Settings / Inaug.Draft / Discussion

Great interview! I now have a much better understanding of where Dryden comes from, and not just the location. Well done, great job guys!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Good Job, great read on a division rival.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Monster

Just back from sunny Cuba. Fantastic to come back to an Insider Interview. And more so with Dryden (Laidlaw). Have a much better appreciation for this GM and his management style!

Cheers!
    Team:
    2x[B]C - Tavares, Matthews, Malkin Getzlaf, Kadri, Suzuki
    2xL - Hall, Tkachuk,, Johnsson (RW) Neal (RW) Killorn (RW)
    2xR - Kucherov, Marner (RW), Palmeri, Lebanc (LW)
    4xD - Karlsson, OEL, Josi, Letang, Suter, Faulk,
    2xG - Andersen, Rinne, Quick, Reimer
    2x[B]Util - x2
    12 Team Keeper league with Yahoo

Roster (14 Kept Players): 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G,2Util
    SEASON SCORING: 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,1U,2G
    (Weighted Category Points: see below).

Skaters -
    (Points: G a/o A) 6
    (+/-) 3
    (PIM) 1
    (PPP) 5
    (GWG) 5

Goaltenders
    Wins 5
    Goals against -9
    Saves 1
    Shutout 10

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Let me introduce to you, Mr lack of punctuality himself....GM of the the Thunder...

What made you decide to join the WHL?

My apologies for the delay - thanks for being patient!

I had heard about the WHL through the forums after year #2, not long after the emails came around to get our team logos built. I knew it would be interesting to get into a daily league with a group of high-end fantasy players, so I "applied" and was fortunate enough to have been chosen.

You are an aggressive trader going after big fish like Malkin, Eichel, Hedman, etc. Care to share your “GM plan” on building a competitive fantasy team?

I finished last year in 13th place, pretty much the worst possible place to be in any league - in the middle. I felt my team had underachieved last year and decided I had to make a plan one way or another, so I decided to go for it. If you haven't noticed, I like to trade! I've learned to recognize who was making moves in a particular direction and just put an offer or two out there. I will admit it's difficult to get people to talk trade sometimes, but you have to realize people need to feel inspired to make a deal that they feel they win for their own reasons. Occasionally you just have to ask based on a gut feeling - that's how I was able to get Hedman. I've lost my fair share of deals (Marchand for Domi, Domi for something less than that) but if you don't make deals you won't be able to make an instantaneous change to your team. I wasn't interested in 13th again.

Editors note....Domi was for Killorn + Kerfoot.

You mentioned you are in 6 leagues...that is intense commitment, and you said you have an understanding wife, but have you ever had to get her to make a roster move for you when you couldn’t access a pool?

Haha no, I don't have her involved in any of those. The stress would be too much! I'm also involved in two football pools, and it's a great way to get her to cheer for a team on Monday night if she knows it could be worth some $$$!

What is one idea you would have to improve the WHL?

I was the one who tried to lead the charge on goalies last year, and when that didn't pan out I decided I had to get in front of it, be aggressive and pick up a goalie (Rittich, McMichael for my 2020 1st). When I see a forward have a five point night they usually get 6-7 points. A player who goes -4 will only go down about -0.6. That's the range I'd like to see goalie totals so that guys aren't afraid to use them. I've sat a few goalies this year because of that risk.

What is your current occupation and how did you get into that?

I'm an engineer with an oil and gas company in Calgary. I grew up in Saskatchewan and went to University of Saskatchewan in engineering to find my dream job which I hoped would be here, and I've been here for more than 20 years. It's stressful in these economic times and I've had to experience the same type of job stress as a number of my friends, but I love and enjoy it! Once I'm done though I'm totally going to cut grass or work at Home Depot as a retirement job!

What cities have you lived in?

I've stayed fairly close to the area, I was born in Saskatoon and lived in Lake Valley during my childhood before going to Medicine Hat for high school, then Red Deer and Calgary. I was really fortunate to grow up during a golden age of junior hockey - going to watch the Moose Jaw Warriors with Fleury play against Joe Sakic and the Swift Current Broncos, then living in Medicine Hat during their back-to-back Memorial Cups and going to high school with Osgood, Mark Peterson, Rob DiMaio and Linden. I'm definitely a western kid.

Any unique family holiday traditions?
    Nothing much unique, my parents just sold their house in Moose Jaw so it appears the torch has passed to us now.

Twitter questions from WHL GMs.....

Do you send your best trade offer first?

I send an offer that most times I would think the other team would be able to justify accepting. I have accepted deals from other GM's on their first offer as well. If I like the deal, just accept it and be happy. I'm too busy to go through multiple counters most times.

Do you start low, or high?

See above. I start with something good to be accepted or something close enough most times. If the goal is to get more people active in making deals, you have to be willing to make deals. It seems simple but it's not always. I have one person who read in a column years ago to never make the first offer... needless to say he's now 14th out of 16 teams without much hope for because he doesn't initiate deals and then usually never counters either. Where's the fun in that?

Editors note...thank you for keeping that last question about fantasy hockey....

Are you intentionally keeping the LA Kings duo?

I am keeping them in the hopes something turns around. Quick was a 110 pt goalie two years ago, so something has to happen? I don't really see where I have any choice right now. I do like Campbell also. It's just a matter of time I hope.

You may now ask me one question....

What brings you to doing this for us? You obviously must love fantasy hockey as much or more than we do. I would love to peer into someone else's league and be able to do the same for them (assuming I could find the time for that too haha). PS: Thank you very much for doing this, your work here is truly appreciated!

Well, what a compliment. I do love fantasy hockey, and after coming across the idea I gathered it would be fun to implement into a league, so then the search for which league began. It had to be a league with active, intelligent fantasy GMs for any chance of getting the idea rolling. It does take time you are correct, it is a grind to get info from sources on each team but as I gain trust, in time, the hope is that those sources may come to me with the info. Trust must be earned. Some sources are excellent with trusted intel already.

For those interested in asking me more....I will be hosting a rare in season “ask me anything” day today on Twitter.
    Follow me @WHLrumourmill for rumblings from around the World Hockey League

Dobber Sports Ace

This interview was worth the wait @Thunder & @Insider! Another great interview!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Love it.
    Such a great part of the current WHL!
    Thanks boys!!!

Dobber Sports Monster

Great work again Insider and thanks for participating Thunder!
    Team:
    2x[B]C - Tavares, Matthews, Malkin Getzlaf, Kadri, Suzuki
    2xL - Hall, Tkachuk,, Johnsson (RW) Neal (RW) Killorn (RW)
    2xR - Kucherov, Marner (RW), Palmeri, Lebanc (LW)
    4xD - Karlsson, OEL, Josi, Letang, Suter, Faulk,
    2xG - Andersen, Rinne, Quick, Reimer
    2x[B]Util - x2
    12 Team Keeper league with Yahoo

Roster (14 Kept Players): 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G,2Util
    SEASON SCORING: 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,1U,2G
    (Weighted Category Points: see below).

Skaters -
    (Points: G a/o A) 6
    (+/-) 3
    (PIM) 1
    (PPP) 5