Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saad, is he worth it at 6 mil?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Saad, is he worth it at 6 mil?

With the recent signing, and no guarantee he plays with RyJo, is 6 mil too much to have him?

What is a reasonable projection?
    I'd say low 55 high 70 (best case obviously.)
    Likely he will fall around 60 ish. But is that worth 6 mil? I dunno. I'm trying to trade him to the the guy who owns RyJo, but he is saad skeptic.
    11 GM limited keeper. keep 13 drop 10. 12f,6d,2g,3bench

Use current cap.

G8, A7, SHG5, SHA3, PIM1, .02 for hits,shots, blocks.
    Goalies stats. W.10, SO.5, OTL.3, SOL.2, SV.010

F-, Connor , svechnikov , Aho , E.Lindholm,hoglander,trochek
    , mcmichael, Konecny, batherson, Farabee, tomasino,

Bench, shesterkin , pinto, Lundkvist, Tomasino

D- theodore, girard, weeger, shattenkirk, clague, perunovich

G- hellebuyck

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Saad, is he worth it at 6 mil?

Nobody knows yet. If he plays 1st line with RyJo, then I'd say yes but we got to wait and see first.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm thinking 55-60 points is realistic for Saad. Was Duchene worth his cap hit this year? Look at players with similar salary and production to figure out if he's worth it or not. I'm guessing not.

Dobber Sports Padawan

At the moment he isnt worth the cap hit but that can change.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Nothing against Saad. I think he is a decent player but, no way. If 52 point seasons warrant this kind of money, then something is wrong with the system. He maybe worth it in 2-3 years, but that is still a 'maybe'. I would take Duschene over Saad at the same salary as would probably every team. By the way, that is more than Seguin, Tavares, and the same as Hall, Eberle and RNH. There are 5 players I would take over Saad. I could go on.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In a vacuum, he's not worth it. I think you need to be a 60+ point player (or contribute to multi-cats in such leagues if fewer points) to be worth $6 million. I don't know if Saad is a 60-point player, even playing on the top line in Columbus. If I were drafting now, I would bring him down a few notches due to his contract.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ninja

No bloody way he's worth 6m...

He's a solid overall player, but he's not a skill player and therefore does not warrant that kind of contract. His pedigree says it, and his NHL stats back it up.

Dobber Sports Sage

He had 52 pts last year and played with Toews and Hossa most of the season. He had 47 the year before and played with Kane most of that season. He was a 0.5 pt/game this past playoffs. I think we remember his explosive breakaways but his overall point production has not been special. Besides moving up to the 1st line, a question that needs to be answered is how many points is his getting added to the PP1 worth? He played on PP2 for the Hawks so it's not like he didn't get any PP time.

Overall, I think he will be overvalued in 1-year leagues. While he might prove worthy of 6 M per year in the future, I don't think he'll be worth it next season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Stud

If Foligno can score 73 points playing with RyJo, I'm not putting a ceiling on Saad. He's going to get to carry the puck a lot more often and have way more scoring opportunities than he ever did in Chicago.

Don't say "Well he played with Toews and Kane and Hossa and was nothing special", it's because he was forced into a complimentary role.

Playing in a premiere role in Columbus, be it with RyJo or with Dubinsky, Saad is going to make himself worth the money.

Dobber Sports Ace

He played primarily on the PP2, where he scored 10 points. Playing on the PP1 next season, it's not out of the question that he hits 20 PPP, and reaches that 60 point mark. I still don't believe that he's worth $6 million in fantasy hockey, but he's not as terribly far off as some people seem to think.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Don't say "Well he played with Toews and Kane and Hossa and was nothing special", it's because he was forced into a complimentary role.

Playing in a premiere role in Columbus, be it with RyJo or with Dubinsky, Saad is going to make himself worth the money.
    I stated his point production was nothing special. (47 and 52) So if you are going to call out what I wrote, at least state it correctly. Complimentary role? He's primarily been on the 1st and 2nd line the last two years with either Toews or Kane. There's nothing complimentary about that.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I stated his point production was nothing special. (47 and 52) So if you are going to call out what I wrote, at least state it correctly. Complimentary role? He's primarily been on the 1st and 2nd line the last two years with either Toews or Kane. There's nothing complimentary about that.
    I feel like you're confusing the definition of a complementary winger. He was never the go-to guy when he played on a line with Toews or Hossa or Kane or even Sharp for that matter. He was constantly the third wheel on his line, was he not? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also wasn't calling you out on anything, I was paraphrasing the general sentiment across the forum, so let's take it down a notch, shall we?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I feel like you're confusing the definition of a complementary winger. He was never the go-to guy when he played on a line with Toews or Hossa or Kane or even Sharp for that matter. He was constantly the third wheel on his line, was he not? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also wasn't calling you out on anything, I was paraphrasing the general sentiment across the forum, so let's take it down a notch, shall we?
    Actually calling Saad a complementary winger is a very confusing statement. Why is that because he was the 3rd best player on his line? I don't get this 3rd wheel nonsense either, were his linemates ignoring him in favor of eachother? I watch every single Blackhawks game and never once did the thought of Saad being just a complement cross my mind.

He will likely be playing with another highly skilled C in RyJo. Is he a complementary winger there? According to you no he won't be. So are you saying a line can only have a max of 2 stars and then the 3rd best player by default becomes the complement? He won't be the go to guy if he's playing with RyJo.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Actually calling Saad a complementary winger is a very confusing statement. Why is that because he was the 3rd best player on his line? I don't get this 3rd wheel nonsense either, were his linemates ignoring him in favor of eachother? I watch every single Blackhawks game and never once did the thought of Saad being just a complement cross my mind.

He will likely be playing with another highly skilled C in RyJo. Is he a complementary winger there? According to you no he won't be. So are you saying a line can only have a max of 2 stars and then the 3rd best player by default becomes the complement? He won't be the go to guy if he's playing with RyJo.
    Hahahaha omg I'm face palming so hard right now.

A complementary player is a player who is inserted to try to bring the whole line together to produce better. Toews and Hossa played almost 94% of their ES minutes together. Saad, Versteeg, Bickell and Sharp all saw time with that duo. Toews and Hossa play great together, then Quenneville is tasked with finding another forward who can complement those two!

I think Saad is a great player in his own right, but Toews and Hossa control the play on that top line, not Saad. They didn't ignore him, or shoot spitballs at him, or call him names, but theres only so many puck touches to go around.

In my opinion (this will be great if someone tells me Foligno or Hartnell is better), Saad is the most skilled winger on the Blue Jackets. He is going to be given every opportunity to be a scorer on the top line. Put RyJo and Saad together for 94% of the time and watch them flourish.

Dobber Sports Sage

A complementary player is a player who is inserted to try to bring the whole line together to produce better. Toews and Hossa played almost 94% of their ES minutes together. Saad, Versteeg, Bickell and Sharp all saw time with that duo. Toews and Hossa play great together, then Quenneville is tasked with finding another forward who can complement those two!

I think Saad is a great player in his own right, but Toews and Hossa control the play on that top line, not Saad. They didn't ignore him, or shoot spitballs at him, or call him names, but theres only so many puck touches to go around.
    I think your explanation of complimentary is rather odd. This is hockey not basketball where there are my-turn possessions and a usually defined pecking order for shots. We are talking about Saad's point production. Playing with skilled players (Toews, Kane, Hossa) increases a players points it doesn't suppress them.