Thread: good reminder from THN

Dobber Sports Guru

Default good reminder from THN

from brian costello at THN...

Who\'s the Next Olli Jokinen?

this type of reminder can\'t come often enough for us fantasy junkies... which is why we see angus and dobber and all the rest of the dobber elite wax repetitive on it, over and over.

sometimes it is important to remember that \"mr consistent\" started his career as a fantasy bust.

Dobber Sports Stud

I like the situation for Brule. He is back in a hockey town and closer to family. The Edmonton style of play is also likely more suited to his game. The best thing that could have happened to him was to get a fresh start in a new environment. He has a couple of years experience to draw from now. I think you will see improvement in his game.
    Hopefully he can stay healthy.

I...am your father.

If Brule emulates Jokinen, then you should probably expect another year or two of 25 to 30 points before suddenly BAM!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Guru

totally agree with you on brule, lifer. it is possible that one day we look back at that trade in astonishment...

Dobber Sports Genius

There have been lots of busts go great
    - Jokinen
    - Naslund
    - Straka
    - Savard
    - Briere
    - Sykora

In all instances I did not have them at the time they exploded. I can\'t say that I regret that though. Predicting a guy to jump from the garbage heap to the top of the pile... that\'s a good way to have a lousy team. The only close example I can think of over the years that I gambled on and it worked was Petr Sykora. As an 18 year old he was in the NHL. Then he played a year in the AHL. I got him for a pick. He became a player when he returned to the NHL, but it took time. Brule is similar, so I don\'t think taking a chance on him is foolish. The player changing status must find opportunity and in all cases it was in a new environment. In the new environment every player on the list turned in 1 or 2 average to stinkers before hitting form in their new home. Generally two years.

Dobber Sports Stud

I don\'t think owning Brule is foolish either. (Hope tequilamonster doesn\'t read this, it will set him off). Brule has bounced around with a couple of teams in one of my pools. I am hopeful, in future, that I can \'time\' my pick of Brule right. I agree with Dobber that he is not going to breakout yet, but I think he will, and I really like the opportunity for him, in Edmonton. As UW stated, down the road we could look back on the deal in astonishment.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with Dobber. Brule may not be a bust yet, but I don\'t see him having a significant role on the Oil for at least 2 years. He will be in the AHL this year.
    9 Team Salary Cap, Keeper League. 28 man roster, keep 21 each year.

Forwards: Crosby, Kane, Backstrom, Stamkos, Carter, Tavares, Benn, Spezza, Williams, Stepan, Little, Seguin, M Koivu

D-men: Carlson, Karlsson, Boyle, Corvo, Gunnarson, Del Zotto, Butler

Goal: Price

Dobber Sports Veteran

The problem I see with Brule, is as badly as Columbus needed a playmaking offensive center last season, he obviously wasn\'t even close to being ready yet, which means he\'s probably not ready this season, so it\'ll be likely the following season, ...maybe even the one after that,

...and if you look at the young at the upside at the guys the oilers already have, and project how good they\'re going to be down the road, ...it looks like Brule will have a tough time beating out whoever is already filling the role of being a first or second line center for them.

By the time he\'s ready, he may need to be moved again, to get a chance on a scoring line.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Novice

nice post UW. it is fun to be optimistic at this time of yr. however, lets not forget that for every jokinen there is 5 scott scissons.

Dobber Sports Guru

the fact that i don\'t know who scott scisson is means your point is well taken!

Dobber Sports Novice

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    the fact that i don\'t know who scott scisson is means your point is well taken!
    he went 6th overall in 90. right after Jagr.

Dobber Sports Stud

Brule\'s lack of success was not his fault alone. Brule is not a big player. His game, in Junior hockey, was to play the body. He tried to take his junior game to the pro level. Unfortunately his size did not support that pro game. He is bigger now but he is still not a big player. CBJ rushed his progress. He was a kid playing amongst men. Unfortunately it was one injury after another. I think that had a huge impact on his confidence. Hopefully he will get an opportunity in Edmonton and re-gain his confidence. I don\'t know the Edmonton team well enough to say whether or not he is likely to be on the team this year. He could very well end up in the AHL but wherever he plays, his play will improve.

Dobber Sports Wizard

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    Also, for the Canucks fans, Jason Herder!
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Banned

hes definitely in a good spot with all the youthful exuberance and jump that team has, if he can get caught up in their system he could prosper

Dobber Sports Veteran

50N38 wrote:
    ultrawhiteness wrote:
    he went 6th overall in 90. right after Jagr.

1.Quebec Owen Nolan R
    2 Vancouver Petr Nedved L
    3 Detroit Keith Primeau C
    4 Philadelphia Mike Ricci C
    5 Pittsburgh Jaromir Jagr R
    6 NY Islanders Scott Scissons C
    7 Los Angeles Darryl Sydor D
    8 Minnesota Derian Hatcher

19.Winnipeg Keith Tkachuk L
    20.New Jersey Martin Brodeur G
    34.NY Rangers Doug Weight C

I can\'t imagine Picking Nedved over Jagr would be a very fond memory either. :P
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)