Thread: Giordano is looking for what?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Giordano is looking for what?

https://twitter.com/Left_Wing_Lock/s...00836074971137

Kindly...leave. In the words of Bob Murray, "God bless him"
    DobberProspects Writer: The Journey, Follow @kleblanchockey

WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)

Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Cleveland Barons
    C(3): Kopitar, Brassard, J.Staal
    LW(3): Schwartz, Ladd, Skinner
    RW(3): Frolik, Michalek, Wingels
    F(3): Michalek, Josefson, Tlusty
    D(6): Ekblad, Maatta, Niskanen, Garrison, Emelin, Clendening Marincin
    G(1): Holtby, Ortio
    Bench: R.Nash(C), Brodziak(C), Bellemarre(C), JT Brown (RW), Marincin(D)

Prospects(10):
    F: Larkin (C), Petan (C), W.Karlsson (C), C.White (C), Bracco (RW), Compher (LW)
    D: Honka, Manning, Tennyson
    G: Desrosiers

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Giordano is looking for what?

1. I'm pretty sure I've read before that the Seravalli guy (he's a Flyers prss guy, yes)... likes his "shock value".
    2. Gio's not a $9m guy... but top end D men have been skyrocketing in value the past few years. If Gio played an 82gp season, he'd be the 3rd Norris candidate... and worthy of $8m/year on a future contract, IMO.
    I think his injuries will keep him from getting his high-end dollars though.

But Gio's a top 15 D-man in the NHL, IMO.
    And just about all top 15 D-men, these days, are $7m+ guys.
    Won't surprise me if TB's Hedman gets $9m+ in 2017.

How far is Gio off Subban? (the $9m guy in Montreal)
    I don't think it's a lot.

To boot... with all the talk in Alberta about EDM's need for a two-way ELITE D-man... and looking at the ELITE D-men on all the recent Cup teams...
    Maybe the value of an elite D-men are worth about $9m.
    Maybe.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Is this really a shock? Gio's worth $8-$9 mil. He would have won the Norris this year without the injury, he would have been in the running last year without his injury. Hell, he probably wins the Norris this year if he missed the first 20 instead of the last 20 games of the season (recency bias) and all.

I don't really see how this is surprising, especially for an initial ask.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, taking age out of the equation, I'd take Gio over Subban. We're not talking about fantasy hockey here.

Dobber Sports Stud

Depending on term, say 3-4 years, I'd give Gio 9M per season. He's their best defenceman and he's one hell of a captain, thus he's worth keeping happy and keeping around.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If he was 3-4 years younger and ever played full seasons, then yes. He hasn't played a full season since 10-11. Not even 65 games.

As far as fit, yeah it can make sense on some teams more than others. Better to overpay for what you have then have to go out looking for someone on the open market who you don't know as well and probably would be inflated as well. Dmen are going to get paid moving forward. We have already seen that trend.

I agree on Hedman, he will likely be in the 9M range. Going to be interesting to see how much Stamkos and Hedman get combined.
    DobberProspects Writer: The Journey, Follow @kleblanchockey

WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)

Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Cleveland Barons
    C(3): Kopitar, Brassard, J.Staal
    LW(3): Schwartz, Ladd, Skinner
    RW(3): Frolik, Michalek, Wingels
    F(3): Michalek, Josefson, Tlusty
    D(6): Ekblad, Maatta, Niskanen, Garrison, Emelin, Clendening Marincin
    G(1): Holtby, Ortio
    Bench: R.Nash(C), Brodziak(C), Bellemarre(C), JT Brown (RW), Marincin(D)

Prospects(10):
    F: Larkin (C), Petan (C), W.Karlsson (C), C.White (C), Bracco (RW), Compher (LW)
    D: Honka, Manning, Tennyson
    G: Desrosiers

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Listening/watching.

Bettman always amazes me.
    At times, he looks so uncomfortable (now... just about every Cup presentation...)
    And other times he looks very comfortable (I watched "Big Shot" recently and he looked almost... dare I say... pleasant)

Dobber Sports Guru

I'd happily give him $10M per on a short 2 or 3-yr deal. Anything longer and it'd have to dive quite a bit.

Dobber Sports Legend

You need to be careful. Teams shouldn't pay players for past production, they should pay them for what they project to provide moving forward when their new deal kicks in. Giordano is going to be 32 and still has mileage left, but you can't give him a 5 or 6 year term @ top dollar like he's in his mid-to-late-20's. If he wants term, the Flames shouldn't offer him more than 7 million cap hit per at 5 years. If he's willing to take 3 years, go to 8.25 mil cap hit or so. To make him happy, the Flames can front-load some of the cashola but the cap hit needs to be sustainable.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

Would he be able to get that on the open market? Maybe. Seems REAL steep to me though. 32 is when you can start expecting a player to miss more games than they used to. Right now he has missed 233 games over the last three years. That is almost 30% games missed during the season.

Dobber Sports Master

Too much of a BAB to get that sort of deniro, in my humble opinion. At least not over a five or six year deal. I'd be OK at 7-8 million over three years, but he would have to stay healthy for me to then do a similar deal again at age 35.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

"Giordano is looking for what" ??

I'm going to guess >> Hudler's shoes??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Depending on term, say 3-4 years, I'd give Gio 9M per season. He's their best defenceman and he's one hell of a captain, thus he's worth keeping happy and keeping around.
    Just pay him I say. He's your captain, heart and soul type guy. Sure, negotiate, but not the same way the Sens tried to negotiate Alfredsson's final contract. Make sure he knows that you value him, but need to leave room for some of the young guys when their contracts come due or something like that. Remember the last time the Flames tried to play hardball with Giordano (from Wikipedia, sorry guys, it's the best I could do):

"Unable to come to terms on a new contract with the Flames prior to the 2007–08 season, Giordano left the NHL to sign with HC Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Super League.[12] According to Playfair, Giordano did not sign in Russia over money. Instead, he left due to the fact that he felt he had proven what he could do in the AHL and, lacking a guarantee that he would be in the NHL, sought a higher calibre league in which to play."
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

I don't understand those shocked by this total. It's a negotiation. He's supposed to come in high otherwise he's apt to be selling himself short. What he's asking for and what he's willing to accept are two different things. And maybe this is a ploy to gain some leverage in the form of no-trade protection. I don't begrudge the dude for asking for max money when he's in position to ask for it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I don't understand those shocked by this total. It's a negotiation. He's supposed to come in high otherwise he's apt to be selling himself short. What he's asking for and what he's willing to accept are two different things. And maybe this is a ploy to gain some leverage in the form of no-trade protection. I don't begrudge the dude for asking for max money when he's in position to ask for it.
    I agree.

No, he's not worth it. But no hockey player is. This is just how things are going. Ask yourself this - how valuable is Mark Giordano to the Flames? About as valuable as, say, Patrick Kane is to Chicago? Each time a player breaks a new barrier, other players will use that as a starting point.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi