Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [rumour] Rangers turns down offer of two 2nd round picks for Talbot

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [rumour] Rangers turns down offer of two 2nd round picks for Talbot

https://mobile.twitter.com/NicholsOn...9849921537?p=v

Dreger hears a team (not #Oilers) offered two second round picks for Cam Talbot and that didn't close the deal. #NYR todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/d…
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [rumour] Rangers turns down offer of two 2nd round picks for Talbot

Two second round picks in this year's draft is nothing to sneeze at. I guess they're hoping for either a first and/or a roster player, considering they're competing now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

considering talbot is arguably the "best" goalie available, i'd say 2 2nd round picks is likely the most you can expect from the other goalies available. goalie market is saturated, it's a bad summer to trade bernier/reimer, lehner/anderson etc.

Dobber Sports Deity

It doesn't say that both picks were from this years draft. For all we know, it could have been one from this year and one from next year.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hmmm... That sounds like about what I thought he'd go for.

Maybe the Rangers are shooting for the moon on Talbot? Seems like an odd offseason to play hardball on goalies with all the other options out there.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd think 2-2nds should be enough to snag a backup G that has only played like 50 or so games, no? I like Talbot and he played really well, but I don't know how much more you can expect to get for him.
    Last edited by roenick27; June 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    considering talbot is arguably the "best" goalie available, i'd say 2 2nd round picks is likely the most you can expect from the other goalies available. goalie market is saturated, it's a bad summer to trade bernier/reimer, lehner/anderson etc.
    doesn't matter how many goalies are available, it's all about quality.

The good goalies will go for more than a measly return of two seconds.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

They passed on two 2nds... wow.
    I'm surprised.

Talbot is a UFA next summer and obviously Lundqvist is signed long-term.
    I know Cam was great this past year... but for one-more-year of back-up... NYR is gonna pass on two 2nds.
    !!!

I think NYR should've taken this deal.
    Though - with as close to the cup as they were the past two years... maybe the greater concern is not creating tension in the lockerroom from off-season drama.

They're probably thinking... if somebody is willing to pay two 2nds now... they should be willing to pay it in-season.
    As a straight up deal on a back-up with one year left to his UFA... two 2nds is more than a fair return, I think.

Dobber Sports Stud

I would have taken two 2nds I think. I believe the rumours circulating about 16th + Marincin or anything of the sort are bogus.

Whoever gets Talbot is taking on a one-year contract for a potential UFA player. They can't even re-sign a new contract with him until January 1st. This isn't a situation where the team acquiring him can talk to him and assure that he will re-sign, this is a really really risky move for a guy who for all intents and purposes hasn't proved anything in the NHL yet.

A lot can happen between today and January 1st. If it all works out, you have an unexperienced 28 year old goalie who wants to be a part of your franchise. Worst case scenario he tells you he wants to test the FA waters and you're left to trade him for pennies on the dollar or let him walk.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sure sounds like a fair price for Talbot, who as Pengwin pointed out, is going to walk at the end of next season. Now we don't know which team so we don't know the exact placement (and year?) of the picks. Final thought: a bluff to get Edmonton, who it's known wants him, to increase their price? The Rangers may think since they're so close to competing that it's worth it to keep him for his final year and then lose him next year in the off-season, if they are looking to trade him I think Talbot's best price comes in the off-season, and if they want picks then before this year's draft is preferable to before next year's draft, as the pick becomes a player one-year further along.

I don't see the price of Talbot going up in season. Talbot is seen as a potential #1 goalie, any team going after him want all pre-season and regular season to get him established with their system, coaches and guys and to get the maximum look at him before they have to decide to extend him or not. If the Rangers keep him into the season I don't see why they'd let him go as a rental, once we get to mid-season or deadline deals he's as or more valuable to the Rangers, who will be planning their own Cup run, then he is to any other contending team.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Veteran

They might want marincin and to dump a contract.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Master

maybe the oilers want rangers to throw a few scouts in and slats refused.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If it's 2 picks from this year's 2nd round it's either Edmonton or Arizona as any other team with multiple picks wouldn't be looking for a goalie IMO.

While sometimes I think rumours are started or reported on by hockey people by taking a single word from 20 different conversations and turning it into a story or someone just wanting to start a conversation since I'm really naive(lol) I wonder how much and to what extent is there misdirection by teams, players, agents, etc in the NHL or any other sport for that matter.

Is there really that much chicanery going on behind the scenes and has sportsmanship finally been dealt a mortal wound and gamesmanship is now King of the mountain? I know deep down this type of stuff has been going on forever like when Gordie Howe would go into the GM's office at the end of the season to talk salary and the best player in the game would get fed the line that there was no money so that no one else on the team in their right mind would dare ask for a raise but I guess I feel that the greatest game on earth should be built on a foundation of fairness and honesty. Steps off soapbox.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post
    If it's 2 picks from this year's 2nd round it's either Edmonton or Arizona as any other team with multiple picks wouldn't be looking for a goalie IMO.

While sometimes I think rumours are started or reported on by hockey people by taking a single word from 20 different conversations and turning it into a story or someone just wanting to start a conversation since I'm really naive(lol) I wonder how much and to what extent is there misdirection by teams, players, agents, etc in the NHL or any other sport for that matter.

Is there really that much chicanery going on behind the scenes and has sportsmanship finally been dealt a mortal wound and gamesmanship is now King of the mountain? I know deep down this type of stuff has been going on forever like when Gordie Howe would go into the GM's office at the end of the season to talk salary and the best player in the game would get fed the line that there was no money so that no one else on the team in their right mind would dare ask for a raise but I guess I feel that the greatest game on earth should be built on a foundation of fairness and honesty. Steps off soapbox.
    The tweet has already indicated that it wasn't the Oilers and as I mentioned earlier, there's nothing saying that the two 2nd round picks were even from 2015. The offer could have been one 2nd round pick in 2015 and one 2nd round pick in 2016.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post

Flames have three second round picks.