View Poll Results: Who's the top sleeper Prospect?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kucherov

8 19.05%
  • Teravainen

8 19.05%
  • Kuznetsov

2 4.76%
  • DeAngelo

0 0%
  • Yakupov

7 16.67%
  • Galchenyuk

2 4.76%
  • Nichuskin

4 9.52%
  • Pouliot

0 0%
  • Faulk

1 2.38%
  • Ehlers

4 9.52%
  • R. Strome

6 14.29%
  • D. Strome

1 2.38%
  • Marner

1 2.38%
  • Klingberg

2 4.76%
  • Vasilevskiy

4 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The DobberHockey Top Sleeper Prospect Award goes to...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool The DobberHockey Top Sleeper Prospect Award goes to...

Back in Gaudreau's draft year, no one paid him much attention. You would NOT have had to give up much to get him two years ago, but last year he was a hot prospect coming in. This year, he's proven those expectations right. Who's the next player who is going to be amazing, but who people aren't giving enough credit to right now?

Let's have a vote! You can nominate as many prospects as you want, just make a shortlist out of those that you would VOTE for at the end! Feel free to make points about who deserves to be recognized, who should not win, and why you think so!

Your prospects have to be either in buy-low mode and have an extremely bright future that's about to break out (for guys like MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Tyler Johnson, etc, that ship has sailed). The more buy-low and high-chance-of-big-reward, the better! Polling will close at 11:59 PM on June 25th! Get your vote in!

My Nominations

Nikita Kucherov
    Proving his worth at the Stanley Cup finals, is the least "consistent" of the triplets (as in he's only done it for one year and might be overshadowed by Johnson), making him a little easy to buy low on. If he starts doing it again, he'll slip out of reach.

Teuvo Teravainen
    His coming out party has been somewhat overshadowed by Kane, Toews, and Keith's star status, Hossa's agelessness, Crawford's constant controversy, Sharp's trade rumours, and Seabrook's contract stuff. He's the real deal though, and with a mass exodus of star players imminent, he'll get his turn in the spotlight too.

Evgeny Kuznetsov
    At 0.46 points-per-game, hasn't WOW'd anyone who hasn't watched him actually play. Those who have, though, know he's shown flashes of his skill against NHLers now. Is he about to break out a la Tarasenko? Keep in mind, Johnson had 0.43 P/G during his 23-year-old season too. How did that turn out?

Anthony DeAngelo
    Has been ruining the confidence of OHLers with his dazzling numbers and play. Still might carry some stigma from his "attitude" and size, things that caused him to drop to 28th in his draft. About to leave that in the dust. Another year spent leading Defencemen in the scoring race and his title will change to "best defenceman NOT in the NHL" on every site from Sportsnet to TSN

Nail Yakupov (borderline)
    The biggest failure of a first-overall-pick since Erik Johnson. Has done nothing to impress for two whole seasons. Not what owners had expected. Might have a bust label prematurely. McJesus is about to center him though, so expect a lot of improvement in not a lot of time.

Alex Galchenyuk
    0.58 P/G this year, and it's his highest in 3 years of NHL action. Is he ever going to break through? If rumblings from Habs fans are true, he's already broken through in the small samples that he's been used in the proper role. He has the third-highest SCF60 (on-ice scoring chances for per 60 minutes via war-on-ice.com) on the Canadiens, and he's just 21.

Valeri Nichuskin
    He didn't blow people away with his rookie campaign and injuries derailed his momentum some. Enough that his GM is growing tired of waiting? Pounce on that GM like the glorious African lioness brings down the sickly wildebeest and take your prize.

Derrick Pouliot
    Has just played his first half-NHL season, and only got 7 points in 34 games. Hardly amazing from someone who was on the top of a lot of lists a year ago. However, Mike Johnston's system fits him really well and Paul Martin and Christian Ehrhoff's imminent departure will leave a lot of minutes to be filled. He just needs to find his way onto that PIT PP1 with Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist, and Letang and he's instantly a 45-55-point player.

Justin Faulk
    If there's even the slightest chance that Carolina's garbage season or the fact that no one really pays attention to the Hurricanes have clouded your leaguemates' eyes that Faulk was one shy of a 50-point season at 23, you jump on that and you jump hard!

Nikolaj Ehlers
    Marked a high-risk-high-reward prospect just a year ago, Ehlers has had a monster year and erased almost all thought of that "risk". Recently recognized on The Journey, Ehlers had 100 points in 51 games in 2014-15 and then threw on some icing with 31 points in 14 playoff games. There's only reward left here, but maybe his GM doesn't pay attention to junior and hasn't picked up on this yet. Maybe his size is still raising questions. After all, he hasn't yet played in the NHL amongst full-grown men. But if he conquers those challenges like he has the rest, the window to acquire him will slam shut.

Ryan Strome
    Drafted 4 years ago, Strome has only had 1 full NHL season. However, he's almost 22 and just hit 50 points. Is 65 in the cards next season? And then 70+?

Dylan Strome
    "But he played with Connor McDavid, of course he put up almost two points a game!"
    While that's true, in the 21 games that McDavid was out, he put up 18 goals and 17 assists for 35 points. That's 1.67 P/G. A few years ago, some guy named Stamkos went pretty high in the draft with a 1.72 P/G. Strome will be fine without McDavid. Don't sleep on him.

Mitch Marner

Well, then there's NO WAY Marner goes ahead of him. Not only did Strome win the scoring race, but he's a star even without McDavid? Well, Marner had Domi just like Strome had McDavid. However, when Domi was out, Marner had 25 points in 9 games! He jumped from 2 points per game to 2.77! Granted, that's a small sample size, but Holy Moses! This draft is nuts. If either Strome or Marner have a MacKinnon-like rookie year, they'll price themselves out of your budget.

John Klingberg

Injuries gave poolies who missed his debut last year a second chance to grab him. He's the real deal, and he'll be feeding Benneguin for a half-dozen years to come. Get him NOW.

Andrey Vasilevskiy

I was hoping Ben Bishop might be healthy enough to finish the series, win or lose. With him out, Vasilevskiy might take the spotlight and show even casual fans why he's a top 3 goalie prospect, worldwide.

Folks who missed the cut:

The Numbers Don't Match Up crowd

Lawson Crouse

Crouse wasn't even a point-per-game in his OHL season, despite being the only 17-year-old besides McDavid on the Canadian World Junior Team. When Sam Bennett, his numbers skyrocketed! To... 1.35 P/G??? That's nothing AMAZING. I'd treat him no better than a David Perron, Joffrey Lupul, or Milan Lucic.

Leon Draisaitl

After being sent down from Edmonton, he's churned out quite a few highlights. However, his stats didn't improve a ton from his draft year. That said, his draft year was a stellar 1.65 P/G, but still, I'd like to have seen some improvement, some progress. His scoring dropped in the playoffs as well, and he's pretty low on the EDM center depth chart now.

Mikael Granlund

Despite being on the brink for so many years, Grandlund's a 23-year-old who's had 3 mediocre seasons. I'm beginning to lose faith that he'll put it together and become a star.

The You've-Got-Time-ers

Aleksander Barkov
    Nick Bjusgtad
    Jonathan Huberdeau

None of the Florida top trio have put together an amazing season, despite Shore's size, Barkov's IQ, and Huberdeau's skill. However, all three just passed their sophomore season with 40-point paces (Huberdeau hit 50). With their third season coming up, there might be one more year before they turn the corner. Once they do, even the fact that they're Panthers won't keep other GMs from noticing them.

Seth Jones
    With only two 25-point seasons to his name, will Jones EVER get out from under Weber's shadow? His chances just grew slimmer with the emergence of Roman Josi, and Ryan Ellis is no slouch either. However, Jones has the talent to push through even this gaunlet of stars. A change in scenery might be in order as well, as Nashville can flip its defensive stockpiles for firepower up front. Either way, Jones's value would jump. Before you jump for him, though, remember that defencemen take a while to hit their prime. You might still have time to let Jones ripen.

Anthony Mantha
    Once considered an amazing prospect, Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano called Mantha "Very, very, very disappointing. And I say that with a lot of sadness. Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him." The Red Wings have a knack for developing talent and bringing that talent to life in games. Maybe that left with Babcock, maybe Blashill will pick up right where he left off. Either way, you might have a year or two on him, but don't be left standing when the music eventually stops and his seat's taken.

The other Sailed Ships

McDavid/Eichel

Let's be real. They don't need to play any NHL games for their value to be supernova-levels. You're not getting them cheap.

William Nylander

Even though he's impressed less than the others, he's been excellent in the AHL against men, despite being only 18 this season. His future is extremely bright, but the fact that he's a Toronto Maple Leaf means extra spotlight time, which means he's probably valued exactly at how good he is going to be.

My vote will be either Mitch Marner or Dylan Strome. They're either going to Arizona (with Domi and Duclair), Toronto (with Nylander and Rielly), or Carolina (with Skinner and Faulk). I think they're going to excel in any of these environments, and would be first-overall-picks in at least 5 of the last 10 draft years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: The DobberHockey Top Sleeper Prospect Award goes to...

Most of the guys on that list don't really qualify as "sleepers" anymore.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I can totally see where you're coming from. I put down some reasons I thought they MIGHT still qualify (it'll vary league-to-league), but if you wanna tear those down, feel free! I love a good prospect discussion!
    DobberHockey Injury Report Columnist

Points only keeper league. 9F 6D 1G + 5 Bench & 9 Farm. $109M cap.
    Drop 5 at the end of the year from Main team only.
    10 Teams.

F: Crosby Kane McDavid Hall Draisaitl MacKinnon Duchene Backstrom Hornqvist Sprong Perron

D: Letang Green Klingberg Rielly Faulk Bowey Phaneuf Campbell Schultz

G: Holtby

Farm: RNH E.Lindholm Vrbata Fabbri Morrissey Pouliot Murray Vasilevskiy Fleury

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think Barky is +50 this year. He had 15 pt his last 20 games and is a definite buy low in my mind. I like kuzy but I don't think you can get him as low as barky after having a decent playoffs. It's dumb if you don't vote for kuch, he played amazing in game 4 and that line almost gives me a heart attack everytime they have the puck.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Genius

Boooo! Thumbs down to you Sir Blaze. It's June. Play along.

I like your list Feadur. Well thought out. You are right, unless you are in the deepest of keeper leagues then these players are sleepers.

I'll play.

I'll take Galchenyuk. Year 4. Top 6 minutes. Oozing talent. The time is now.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

i put in my vote for ryan strome. i think virtually everyone else on this list are valued quite high right now (as they all should be), but strome is the one that i believe due to his having been brought along slowly by the isles, and therefore his smaller point totals, that his value is lower than anyone else's relatively. he's got tremendous potential, and hasn't done anything to show us otherwise. he could break out at any moment now. get him while you still can.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    i put in my vote for ryan strome. i think virtually everyone else on this list are valued quite high right now (as they all should be), but strome is the one that i believe due to his having been brought along slowly by the isles, and therefore his smaller point totals, that his value is lower than anyone else's relatively. he's got tremendous potential, and hasn't done anything to show us otherwise. he could break out at any moment now. get him while you still can.
    Totally agreee whit that it's really my opinion, follow by NISH, Teravainen and YAK other than that they are not really sleeper but overall I really like your POST +1...
    10teams H2H keep 12 dress 3C,3LW,3RW,6D,2G,2uti+4bench
    G,A,PIM,PPP,SOG,HIT,BS,W,L,GAA,SV%
    C:GETZ,Pavelski,Rakell,Brassard
    RW:P.Kane,Tarasenko,Wheeler,Silfverberg,Brown
    LW:Paciorety,Mantha,Panik,Namestnikov
    D:OEL,Burns,Josi,BUFF,E.Johnson,Sergachev,Mcavoy
    G:Holtby,Dubnyk,Budaj

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm with blayze -- I don't see sleepers on that list really.

BUT, to play along, I think Nichushkin might be the buy-low in the bunch. His shine has diminished because he's a couple years out and he missed all of last season -- but I'm still thinking he'll be lined up with Benn/Seguin at times (and if he can be successful, they could be a truly dominant line).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Stud

I still think Yaks is in buy-low mode, despite Connor going to EDM, as most times people talk about Hall or Eberle still. Yakupov's disastrous time under Eakins has him highly undervalued imo. Think the fact that many are calling him a Daigle/EJ level bust speak to where his value is.

But for me, this guy is going to score 40 in the show - maybe 50 with Connor. Easy to forget he broke Stammer's goal scoring record with the Sting. There's been zero question marks regarding his talent, work ethic and heart... it's all been about his defensive acumen. Phil Kessel still gets called out for that (as well as work ethic and heart) and he's been a pretty nice fantasy asset to have the past few years.

There are a lot of quality kids in the list - but based on being a "buy low" - for what I think Yaks can still become - he gets my vote.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    virtually everyone else on this list are valued quite high right now
    Quote Originally Posted by bluteau View Post
    other than that they are not really sleeper
    Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I'm with blayze -- I don't see sleepers on that list really.
    I can change the poll too, so if you guys wanna nominate someone new, please do! I'll add them to the list!
    DobberHockey Injury Report Columnist

Points only keeper league. 9F 6D 1G + 5 Bench & 9 Farm. $109M cap.
    Drop 5 at the end of the year from Main team only.
    10 Teams.

F: Crosby Kane McDavid Hall Draisaitl MacKinnon Duchene Backstrom Hornqvist Sprong Perron

D: Letang Green Klingberg Rielly Faulk Bowey Phaneuf Campbell Schultz

G: Holtby

Farm: RNH E.Lindholm Vrbata Fabbri Morrissey Pouliot Murray Vasilevskiy Fleury

Dobber Sports Padawan

Looks more like a "breakout player" poll than a sleeper poll. Which is fine. I like Kuznetsov, Pouliot and Teravainen to make decent jumps in production this coming season.

Dobber Sports Stud

I voted for Valeri Nichushkin because I think he will be overlooked for the most part and could land a plum picking job with the big boys
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

Kucherov has already exploded, so he doesn't belong on this list. Anyone who considers him a sleeper has been sleeping all year.

I'd also argue that Faulk and Klingberg have already emerged, so they don't really belong on this list either.

As for the remaining players who have yet to breakout, my vote goes to Yakupov who will be dragged by McDavid into the 60 pt range next season.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

The easiest way to get a sleeper is “limited games, solid points” system. Either injured early in the yr and slumped from then on out (Can’t think of anyone besides Dupuis right now:-S and I wouldn’t count him as one), or had a ridiculous last 20-30games after getting an expanded role (Tarasenko in the 2013-14 season).

Letang-Big question mark on him, he’s a boom-or-bust candidate. If you get him, he’ll cost a lot less than what he can put up.

Hedman- This may be questioned by everyone, but for what he can do in a full season, vs his status in the league may be vastly different. He could be perceived as a 50pt D-man, but his actual possible output could be 60-70pts. He isn’t a typical sleeper, but he is capable of doing more than what he may be ranked.

Lupul- tough year with injuries (again), but with the possibility of Kessel leaving, he could shift into L1, PP1 with a different culture on the team. He may not play 82games, but if he gets L1 minutes he could put up solid hit numbers and maybe a 60pt/82game pace

Danny Dekeyser

Lindholm (Carolina and Anaheim)

Fiala, Honka, Perlini, Kapanen, Pastrnak (this could be big), Dano, Rychel, Drew Stafford (if he’s back in Jets).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

I like T2....

total sleeper....still alot of poolies asleep at the wheel forgetting that next year T2 is a top 6...PP guy.....thanks to chis cap issues....chi will still be stacked and this is an incredible situation for his development....truthfully it doesent get much better.....

treat of the weeks are kucherov and kuznetsov

T2 outshines them both