Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NHL's Best and Worst trade of 2014-2015

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: NHL's Best and Worst trade of 2014-2015

Yeah I guess it depends on what we call best.

Best for a single team I agree, Minny getting Dubnyk takes it.

Best for both teams? Probably CBJ and TOR swapping payroll for LTIR, win win for them (well minus the Clarkson injury but c'est la vie)

Worst trade, how about that Wisniewski deal? Gave up assets just to bench the guy!
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Pro

Best Trade - Clarkson for Horton (Toronto got rid of the worst constructed contract for a third line guy)

Worst Trade - Lovejoy for Despres ... I mean seriously? One is 31 and not very good and the other is 23 and could be better
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Best Trade - Clarkson for Horton (Toronto got rid of the worst constructed contract for a third line guy)

Worst Trade - Lovejoy for Despres ... I mean seriously? One is 31 and not very good and the other is 23 and could be better

I'd have to agree with these. Minny getting Dubnyk for a 3rd is pretty close 2nd, but I still think Dubnyk is a product of the system and had they acquired a similar goalie he would have done just as well. Kuemper just sucked ass given the D in front of him.

Toronto moving Clarkson's contract is insane, everyone figured that contract was immoveable.

And the Pens will be regretting that Depres deal for years to come. Anaheim acquired a key young piece on their D for the foreseable future.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Despres is still a third pairing Dman. To count that as the worst trade is uh...interesting.

"You swapped an older third pairing D for a younger, slightly better third pairing D? ATROCIOUS!"

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    The worst trade for me was Enroth for Lindback and a 3rd. It's insane to trade a player because he's playing too good.
    Hehe, yes, in most cases. But it would have been insane for them to win just enough to not make the playoffs, yet drastically hurt their chances of landing a top-2 pick.

The way I see it, that trade was:
    Enroth
    vs
    Lindback
    3rd rounder
    ''Saving face'' while trying to win the McDavid derby or Eichel sideshow
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Legend

The Hawks giving up two 2nd's for Timonen was awful.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Despres is still a third pairing Dman. To count that as the worst trade is uh...interesting.

"You swapped an older third pairing D for a younger, slightly better third pairing D? ATROCIOUS!"
    I guess this 23 year old still improving third pairing dman who paired with Fowler to form a pretty great combination is a bad move? Alright.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Deity

I didn't mind the Lovejoy trade. Pittsburgh wanted the experience that Lovejoy brought. You make it sound as if Lovejoy is useless at 31 years of age.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I guess this 23 year old still improving third pairing dman who paired with Fowler to form a pretty great combination is a bad move? Alright.
    Good trade for Pittsburgh? Of course not. Bad trade for Anaheim? Of course not. But he was their 5th defenseman in terms of minutes played. So he most certainly is a third pairing guy. And he was largely traded because of off-ice issues. One is 31 and a third pairing guy and one is 23 and a...uh...third pairing guy.

So to call a swap of third-pairing players the worst/best/most lopsided trade of the season is uh. Interesting. Hell, just in terms of defenseman trades the Leddy, Boychuk, Timonen trades were all worse/better/more lopsided.

And I can pretty confidently say that Despres isn't and won't be better than Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, or Theodore, so I would say he won't be more than a third pairing defenseman. So yea. Probably not the best/worst/most lopsided trade made this year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I was hoping someone included this...holy poor move Rutherford.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Good trade for Pittsburgh? Of course not. Bad trade for Anaheim? Of course not. But he was their 5th defenseman in terms of minutes played. So he most certainly is a third pairing guy. And he was largely traded because of off-ice issues. One is 31 and a third pairing guy and one is 23 and a...uh...third pairing guy.

So to call a swap of third-pairing players the worst/best/most lopsided trade of the season is uh. Interesting. Hell, just in terms of defenseman trades the Leddy, Boychuk, Timonen trades were all worse/better/more lopsided.

And I can pretty confidently say that Despres isn't and won't be better than Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, or Theodore, so I would say he won't be more than a third pairing defenseman. So yea. Probably not the best/worst/most lopsided trade made this year.
    Watching the two this year as frequently as I did...I would much prepare Despres on the ice than Lovejoy. I feel like the Pens made the moved based upon injuries and it forced undervaluing a guy like Despres.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Quote Originally Posted by nosoffsn View Post
    I was hoping someone included this...holy poor move Rutherford.

- - - Updated - - -

Watching the two this year as frequently as I did...I would much prepare Despres on the ice than Lovejoy. I feel like the Pens made the moved based upon injuries and it forced undervaluing a guy like Despres.
    Sure. But that doesn't change the fact they're both third pairing players.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

3rd pairing or not...they still are counted on for 15+ minutes a game. The eye-test on Lovejoy was not as favorable as it was with Despres. Despres did a hell of a job dragging around dead weight in Scuderi all year, while Lovejoy got to use Fowler as a crutch.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

15 minutes against 3rd and 4th lines. It's not like I'm here arguing it was a great trade. It's just not consequential enough to be on a list of best/worst trades. It's a swap of meh third line dmen. Hell. The Cole for Bortuzzo trade was better for Pittsburgh/Worse for St. Louis/More Lopsided than the Lovejoy for Despres trade.

Dobber Sports Stud

As Laendarian noted, the term "best" (or "worst") does leave a lot to individual definition.

I'm glad Rodgort mentioned the Despres-Lovejoy swap - it's these kinds of deals that are especially tough to make a call on with such little hindsight.

While I couldn't make it my "worst" trade - I did dwell on how bad a trade (for PIT) I thought the Lapierre/Goc swap was. Felt like they used Goc to get a slight upgrade on Adams and then dealt quality picks to get Goc back (via the body of Daniel Winnik).

Both teams bowed out early and they're bottom six guys so no hype - but that was one of the few trades that I actually thought "what the hell were they thinking here?".

Great stuff guys - out of rep for now but will hit up those who contributed (and who I'm "allowed" too).

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

E.Kane and Bogosian for Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, and a 1st round draft pick was a great deal for the Jets..

Dubnyk for a 3rd was robbery..

Worst trade is probably Vermette, even though the Hawks are in the finals.. Giving up futures is something the Hawks might regret a couple years from now..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..