Thread: Free agent Franson eyes Maple Leafs, Canucks

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Free agent Franson eyes Maple Leafs, Canucks

Sportsnet
    Free agent Franson eyes Maple Leafs, Canucks

The league-leading Nashville Predators made a high-impact trade weeks ago, bringing in Mike Santorelli and Cody Franson from Toronto. GM Dave Poile is pleased with the results, getting ahead of the chaos of trade deadline day.

LUKE FOX
    MAY 25, 2015, 12:59 PM
    Cody Franson’s most useful and impressive shifts have been in a Toronto Maple Leafs sweater.

So even though he was acquired as a trade deadline rental by his original NHL team, the Nashville Predators, the defenceman would still welcome a return to the club that traded him away — especially with Mike Babcock now running the bench.

“I definitely think it makes [Toronto] more interesting,” the 27-year-old native of Sicamous, B.C. told TSN radio Saturday. “Definitely, with Mr. Babcock going there, it’s an exciting time for people in that organization, and I think it makes it more intriguing to free agents for sure.”

Franson was traded by the Maple Leafs — along with fellow impending unrestricted free agent Mike Santorelli — in exchange for a first-round pick, Olli Jokinen and prospect Brendan Leipsic on Feb. 15.

The heavy-hitting Franson was enjoying a career offensive season in 2014-15 with the Leafs (six goals and 32 points in 55 games) before slumping in Nashville, where he registered just one goal and three assists in 23 games.

The rental player was even scratched from the Predators’ playoff opener.

“The fact that Franson was a right-handed shot… wasn’t the perfect situation for Franson or for us,” Predators general manager David Poile told reporters after the club’s first-round loss to Chicago.

Franson added he is “100 per cent” interested in returning to Toronto, reiterating comments he made to Sportsnet back in February immediately after the trade.

After three consecutive one-year deals, Franson will become a UFA for the first time on July 1 and will be looking for long-term deal with a raise from his $3.3-million salary in 2014-15.

“I’ve always said that I loved it in Toronto,” Franson said. “I’m hopeful that Toronto’s in the mix come July 1 and my phone will definitely be on and hoping that they’re one of the teams that calls.”

Such a move is far from unprecedented. Last summer, for example, the Buffalo Sabres locked up sniper Matt Moulson for five years after renting him mid-season to the playoff-bound Minnesota Wild.

UPDATE: Franson spoke to Vancouver’s News 1130 Sports Monday about the possibility of joining the Canucks.
    News1130 Sports ✔@News1130Sports
    Franson on #Canucks : "It would be a very intriguing spot, 3 years with the Giants, Vancouver is a very interesting place to play."
    1:07 PM - 25 May 2015

More Franson "Playing in my home province, parents watching would be a great honour, the #Canucks in the mix would be fun."
    1:07 PM - 25 May 2015
    Franson : "I want to play in roles that make me earn the money we are going to be asking for, the powerplay role is huge for me." #Canucks
    1:08 PM - 25 May 2015

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Free agent Franson eyes Maple Leafs, Canucks

I am sure he will want to play for anyone willing to pay him the dollars he wants.

What else will he say
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

you can have him vancouver. if he wants 5M+ he's all yours.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    you can have him vancouver. if he wants 5M+ he's all yours.
    He’ll point at Gardiner and say I want at least that. I like Franson and I think he does more on a PP than people think (keeping the puck in the zone is a big plus for him), but he’s not worth 5mill especially what he did in Nashville. And with a rebuilding team, I don’t want to be paying players 5mill who won’t be effective when the Leafs are doing well.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Franson's gonna get paid, that's for sure.
    There's a lack (? I don't know why ?) of quality RH defensemen in the league.
    Reilly(LH)-Franson(RH) would be just fine there for their future, IMO.

Babcock (both with DET & Team Canada) has always been fond of pairing his LH-RH defensemen... if he's got enough of each to use.

DET is a team starved for a RH defenseman.
    Even if Babcock is gone, I can see DET making a run at signing Franson.

Administrator

Franson can stand up straight and tie his own skates so he qualifies for the entry price of 4 million. Plus he's actually pretty good so he'll get north of 5 million.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Franson's gonna get paid, that's for sure.
    There's a lack (? I don't know why ?) of quality RH defensemen in the league.
    Reilly(LH)-Franson(RH) would be just fine there for their future, IMO.

Babcock (both with DET & Team Canada) has always been fond of pairing his LH-RH defensemen... if he's got enough of each to use.

DET is a team starved for a RH defenseman.
    Even if Babcock is gone, I can see DET making a run at signing Franson.
    I have him going to Detroit as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."