Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa's goalie log jam

The Great One

Default Re: Ottawa's goalie log jam

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    It's true that Ottawa made the playoffs essentially without Anderson but they made the playoffs due to an incredible goaltender run. Something that is far more likely to be repeated through Anderson rather than through Lehner or Hammond IMO.
    I'm not taking anything away from Hammond's run, because it was truly epic, but somewhat lost in all of his hype was the way others on the team (mostly Karlsson and Stone) picked up their play late in the season. If I'm the Sens, I'm looking at my roster and I see so many positive signs that the team is ready to improve on last season's performance and that they won't necessarily require their goalie (regardless of who it is) to play unreal hockey. If they have league average goal-tending, this team will still contend for the playoffs, assuming of course that Karlsson and Stone continue to perform well, and that others like Pageau, Wiercioch, Hoffman, Zibanejad, etc. make some progress. Pageau and Wiercioch in particular came on quite strong towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.

Assuming even a modest return in a goalie trade that improves the on-ice product, I believe the team will be ready to move forward.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    It's true that Ottawa made the playoffs essentially without Anderson but they made the playoffs due to an incredible goaltender run. Something that is far more likely to be repeated through Anderson rather than through Lehner or Hammond IMO.
    they don't need that kind of run to make the playoffs next season, they just need respectable goaltending. Hammond went on that run but the team was far far better than earlier in the year - it was not just him and it's not like he stole every game. If the team plays that way it doesn't matter who is in net.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Garrioch says Lehner would get the highest return so in that case he would be gone
    I put absolutely zero stock in anything Garrioch says. I think he is probably saying this based on his own personal opinion.

I just can't see Lehner, who is currently injured and who hasn't proven that he can be an NHL starter, fetching more on the trade market than Anderson.

Again, I don't believe that either goalie will net a huge return, but someone has to be traded and I feel they'd rather move the older, more expensive goalie.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Genius

I just think that if management is thinking that they have the pieces to start making a push and are aiming for the best possible season next year, Anderson is easy the best/safest choice. If indeed Lehner could garner a better return (to which SeaDawg made some good points to bring doubt on that possibility), it would have to be a big upgrade on an Anderson return for the sens to go that route while trying to ice the strongest team next season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I put absolutely zero stock in anything Garrioch says. I think he is probably saying this based on his own personal opinion.

I just can't see Lehner, who is currently injured and who hasn't proven that he can be an NHL starter, fetching more on the trade market than Anderson.

Again, I don't believe that either goalie will net a huge return, but someone has to be traded and I feel they'd rather move the older, more expensive goalie.
    Garrioch is extremely credible for Sens news. He gets his information straight from the organization. Don Brennan is the one who doesn't know what he's talking about lol

I don't think either goalie nets a huge return but the return can be used to grab an upgrade in another deal.

Also, let's say you're St. Louis - do you trade Oshie or JBo to get Anderson?

The Great One

Garrioch is extremely credible for Sens news. He gets his information straight from the organization. Don Brennan is the one who doesn't know what he's talking about lol

I don't think either goalie nets a huge return but the return can be used to grab an upgrade in another deal.

Also, let's say you're St. Louis - do you trade Oshie or JBo to get Anderson?
    I think both Garrioch and Brennan are useless, but it is not entirely their fault.

The Sens are one of the most secretive teams in the NHL and they rarely share anything with the media. I know first-hand of a media guy that got banned from all Sens facilities because he shared the lines the Sens were using at practice. They simply don't trust the media and the only time they actually share anything with the media is if it serves their own agenda.

In this particular case, I wonder if they told Garrioch that Lehner is garnering the most interest in an attempt to increase his value on the trade market, or to make teams interested in Anderson pay more. This is exactly the type of thing the Sens (and other teams too) would do.

As for Oshie and Bouwmeester, I do believe both could be had (Oshie especially), but I don't think they are interested in a goalie. I suspect they will stick with Allen/Elliott.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i'd be highly surprised if lehner or anderson get a top 6 forward in return.

3rd liner or pick and/or prospect seems like it would make more sense to me. i dont think it's a goalies seller market this summer.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i'd be highly surprised if lehner or anderson get a top 6 forward in return.

3rd liner or pick and/or prospect seems like it would make more sense to me. i dont think it's a goalies seller market this summer.
    I agree...the only way a top 6 forward makes it to Ottawa via a goalie trade is if other assets are included, or if some team is looking at a salary dump (such as Sharp out of Chicago).

I could also see, as Big Ev has said, that whatever assets Ottawa gets via a goalie trade could then be packaged with some other assets to land a top 6 forward.

Other potential top 6 forwards that Ottawa might be interested in (and could be had cheaply) include: Eriksson, Semin, Lupul, Boedker. Not saying any of those players make sense, but the term "top 6 forward" varies from team to team. Some are better (more valuable) than others.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Banned

i believe they will get a 1st round pick for any goalie they trade

The Great One

Maybe...I could see Edmonton give up Pittsburgh's first round pick for Anderson if they don't get Niemi.

I guess it depends on when the trade happens. I suspect a few teams interested in a goalie will want to see what happens with Niemi and Dubnyk, and then Howard might also be available via trade. Definitely a buyer's market for goalies, as praba said.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't think Anderson nets them a 1st round pick. I think his age works against the Sens there. Lehner maybe, but it depends if the other team involved is willing to take that gamble. The upside is definitely there, but so is the inconsistency.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I think both Garrioch and Brennan are useless, but it is not entirely their fault.

The Sens are one of the most secretive teams in the NHL and they rarely share anything with the media. I know first-hand of a media guy that got banned from all Sens facilities because he shared the lines the Sens were using at practice. They simply don't trust the media and the only time they actually share anything with the media is if it serves their own agenda.

In this particular case, I wonder if they told Garrioch that Lehner is garnering the most interest in an attempt to increase his value on the trade market, or to make teams interested in Anderson pay more. This is exactly the type of thing the Sens (and other teams too) would do.

As for Oshie and Bouwmeester, I do believe both could be had (Oshie especially), but I don't think they are interested in a goalie. I suspect they will stick with Allen/Elliott.
    I'm with you here. From what I remember during my 3 years in Ottawa, Garrioch reported what the Sens wanted him to report, and for the most part, only provided a positive spin or something that would portray the franchise and time in a positive light.

He may be getting his information straight from the Sens as Ev says, but he is only reporting what the want him to. You really have to be careful what you believe from him and be ready for a heavy bias.

I don't have much experience with Brennan.

Banned

Lehner seems like a good fit for Edmonton... Huge ego - check. Locker-room cancer - check. Higher perception of skill than demonstrated performance - check. Maybe it does make sense?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Lehner seems like a good fit for Edmonton... Huge ego - check. Locker-room cancer - check. Higher perception of skill than demonstrated performance - check. Maybe it does make sense?
    pretty much none of these applies to Lehner. Lehner fits in Edmonton because he's a young, very talented, potential #1 goalie who can grow with the core but I think Anderson would be a better fit

Dobber Sports Genius

Why can't a team have more than one good goalie? I just don't see the narrow logic expressed in some of these posts. Why do they have to move anybody?

- Anderson is signed for 3 more years at a reasonable cap-hit to be the anchor member of a 1A/B tandem.
    - Lehner may seem like he has been around forever but he is only 23(!). He is signed at a reasonable cap hit for 2 more years and then he is still a RFA when his contract is up/.
    - O'Connor needs to develop in the minors. You know it, I know it, Ottawa knows it and he knows it. Binghamton bound.
    - Hammond is a UFA and there is no expectation that he has to choose Ottawa. Ottawa should/will offer him a 2-way deal just like he had. If Hammond's agent finds him a 1 year one-way NHL deal he will sign it as fast as he can.

Best case scenario for the Sens is Hammond cannot find a NHL exclusive deal and signs a deal with Ottawa that keeps him in the fold. Ottawa would be left with a 1A (Anderson) and three candidates for the 1B job. Lehner would be on the team based on his one-way NHL deal but will have pressure from below to improve. Hammond/O'Connor are the AHL duo and one of them should be competent to fill in in case of injury, trade or poor performance but Anderson/Lehner.

Why would the Sens pass on 23 year old Lehner (and the investment they have already made in him) for Hammond, who apart from a 24 game run has had very pedestrian stats since his days in the BCHL?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"