Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

The Great One

Default Re: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    how could you forget to mention their biggest superstar aka Mike Comrie?

the guy was so good he was worth more than Corey Perry in trade talks.

the guy was so good his family is an owner of The Brick.

the guy was so good he married Hilary Duff.

the guy was so good he divorced Hilary Duff.

McDavid got nothing on Comrie
    I assume of course that you are joking.

Lots of people have been saying that the Oilers are going to ruin McDavid like they have ruined all their first overall picks. Comrie wasn't a first overall pick. Neither was Schultz and MPS (you could make an argument that "maybe" the Oilers ruined them, but I don't think they were ever all that special). RNH, Hall, and even Yakupov haven't lived up to their potential yet, but anyone who thinks those players are ruined doesn't know what they are talking about.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I assume of course that you are joking.

Lots of people have been saying that the Oilers are going to ruin McDavid like they have ruined all their first overall picks. Comrie wasn't a first overall pick. Neither was Schultz and MPS (you could make an argument that "maybe" the Oilers ruined them, but I don't think they were ever all that special). RNH, Hall, and even Yakupov haven't lived up to their potential yet, but anyone who thinks those players are ruined doesn't know what they are talking about.
    how could you take anything i said in that post seriously lol

comrie was the biggest flop, he was already set for life because of The Brick, so once he got the hot wife, it's hard to be motivated to train as hard as you need to in order to be an effective NHLer.

The Great One

No, I didn't take your post seriously. I was more using your post to point out that even though the Oilers are a shitty organization that have made numerous mistakes, I don't think it is fair for people to say that McDavid will be ruined in Edmonton just like the first overall picks before him.

Admittedly the Oilers haven't created a winning environment for the first overall picks to thrive in, but it is far too early to say that any of the first overall picks on the team have been ruined.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Sage

It's the worst landing spot for me.

We never see Canadian teams besides occasionally Montreal on NBC Sports. The weeknight games in Edmonton against the Hawks are late so they are the likely games I won't watch. Buffalo, Columbus, Boston, and Philly would have been great landing spots for me. San Jose, Dallas, Colorado or Arizona would have been fine too. About the only teams I preferred Edmonton over were LA and Toronto. Oh well.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

You are probably right, he won't be ruined. Maybe wasted is a better word? Sure he will still get lots of points but will that alone translate to more wins for the team? I just can't see how one player can be the savior no matter how good he is. To me he just isn't "the answer" to all of Edmonton's issues.

I didn't want him in Edmonton because in my opinion they have enough in the top 6 to be a good team, but they haven't developed them all, again not ruined but wasted. Buffalo may not be doing any better with their prospects, and blatant tanking. Arizona needs him but should not be rewarded for tanking either, although they did it in more a rebuild fashion. Going to the Leafs, well, that would just be unbearable to anyone who isn't a Leafs fan. That is the medias fault though. Sorry but it's true. Carolina would have been nice. New Jersey could have used him too.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I just can't see how one player can be the savior no matter how good he is. To me he just isn't "the answer" to all of Edmonton's issues.
    You might be wrong here. He just might be the answer. Less then a week from the lotto and Chiarelli is being hired in Hockey Ops, Todd McLellan is a good bet to be the new coach(Tho the Babcock rumors are fun) and players around the league might not view Edmonton as the wasteland that it was a week ago, making it easier to fill in the holes on the roster.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Initiate

Would anyone want to play in Pittsburgh if Crosby did not play there, they know he is the best in the league and that gives them a chance at winning games and going far in the play-offs any year. And as a player you play to win, but also putting up points is fun also and having a chance to play with Crosby guarantees this.

If Mcdavid turns out to be in that same class, which I think he will. Then who would not want to be a part of this, would you want to play in Phoenix when your line mate is a cactus or line up in The Bitter cold of Edmonton and play on a line with the next big thing (spend your millions and buy a warm car, warm house, and warm jacket. Your not the first guy who played here). You fight to play in the big league, why sell yourself short and play for a team that has nothing in the distant future.

This 1 draft is a huge turning point for the Oilers and Canadian hockey in general, finally a Canadian team with a big Canadian star.

You can cheer for swede twins in Vancouver.
    The young American Johny hockey in Calgary.
    The young American Alex Galchenyuk in Montreal
    The American Kessel in Toronto.
    Winnepeg, and Ottawa are more balanced with not a lot of big stars in their top 6.

Or the Canadian kid playing in Canada, just like Gretzky in Edmonton. For those younger guys, I remember a time when people scourned Edmonton about Gretzky back in the day. Those media plugs would never admit that today.

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate

Taylor Swift
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Haters gonna hate, hate, hate

Taylor Swift
    Shake it off!! Shake it off!!

HaHaHaHaHa
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    It's the worst landing spot for me.

We never see Canadian teams besides occasionally Montreal on NBC Sports. The weeknight games in Edmonton against the Hawks are late so they are the likely games I won't watch. Buffalo, Columbus, Boston, and Philly would have been great landing spots for me. San Jose, Dallas, Colorado or Arizona would have been fine too. About the only teams I preferred Edmonton over were LA and Toronto. Oh well.
    For actually getting to see him play, these are exactly my thoughts. Living in Boston I will basically never get to see him. From a fantasy perspective its a fantastic landing spot.

12 H2H Dynasty:
    S: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits
    G: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    LW: Robertson, Debrincat, Gaudreau
    C: Matthews, Point, Kuznetsov
    RW: Kyrou, Toffoli, Rakell
    D: Chychurn, Krug, Gavrikov, Giordano, Liljegren
    W/FWD/Skt: JT Miller, Nelson, Farabee
    G: Bobrovsky, Swayman
    Bench: Horvat, Dach, Greenway, R. Smith, Stutzle, Kunin, Skjei, E. Johnson
    Farm: Johnston, Raty, Maccelli, Lysell, Quinn, Sandin, Brannstrom, Dostal, Forsberg, Gustavsson, Thompson

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm on the East coast too, but I still stay up to watch as many Oilers games as possible, even as painful as it's been for a number of years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Would anyone want to play in Pittsburgh if Crosby did not play there, they know he is the best in the league and that gives them a chance at winning games and going far in the play-offs any year. And as a player you play to win, but also putting up points is fun also and having a chance to play with Crosby guarantees this
    Forget about winning games and putting up points. If McDavid ends up being as good as Crosby, playing alongside him will likely allow players to cash in, just like James Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis and the other guys who've put up inflated numbers playing with Sid. Players will always say the right thing in front of the camera (I came here to win, to be a part of something special, I grew up idolizing former Oilers, etc.) but at the end of the day I'm sure a lot of them will be thinking about that fat contract they'll be able to sign after going from a 55 point guy to an 80 point guy from lining up with McD.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm pretty glad McJesus landed in a Canadian market, to begin with. EDM is loaded with future stars, the only matter being how they will be coached and surrounded the coming years. You can't just leave a bunch of guys playing around without the proper system in place. They'll need the right coach, one with an offensive mind to exploit all their great talent and the right GM as to bring in a couple veterans for the proper leadership. Not the clowns at the management who've been in place the last couple years.

Foremost, I would not count on Nurse being a star for them. He is fast on the first 2-3 steps, gets the puck out, but past the offensive blue line, he hasn't got a clue what to do with it. So there's a place of concern that needs to be addressed. They need one big shutdown D to help them, someone like Zbynek Michalek for example.

Dallas with Ruff would have been the worst place for McDavid. Ruff would not have been able to exploit McDavid's talent right out of the gate. Same thing with Boudreau in ANA. He'd be lost in all the line shuffling there.

My two cents.
    10 teams Keeper league, ROTO, no Cap Hit. 27 players, keep 23.
    Roster Positions: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 2F, 5D, Util, 2G, 10IR+

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, Hits
    G Stat Categories: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion.

C : Backstrom, Tavares, Nelson, Nielsen, Bonino
    LW : Ovechkin, Giroux, Steen, J.Bailey, Killorn
    RW : Malkin, Stamkos, Jaskin, Voracek, Seguin, Okposo
    D : Weber, Hedman, Karlsson, Yandle, Hamonic, Severson, DeAngelo
    G : Rinne, MAF, Anderson
    IR :E.Kane, B.Connolly, Buff

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Avangard View Post
    I'm pretty glad McJesus landed in a Canadian market, to begin with. EDM is loaded with future stars, the only matter being how they will be coached and surrounded the coming years. You can't just leave a bunch of guys playing around without the proper system in place. They'll need the right coach, one with an offensive mind to exploit all their great talent and the right GM as to bring in a couple veterans for the proper leadership. Not the clowns at the management who've been in place the last couple years.

Foremost, I would not count on Nurse being a star for them. He is fast on the first 2-3 steps, gets the puck out, but past the offensive blue line, he hasn't got a clue what to do with it. So there's a place of concern that needs to be addressed. They need one big shutdown D to help them, someone like Zbynek Michalek for example.

Dallas with Ruff would have been the worst place for McDavid. Ruff would not have been able to exploit McDavid's talent right out of the gate. Same thing with Boudreau in ANA. He'd be lost in all the line shuffling there.

My two cents.
    Changes are happening at the managerial level already, so I have faith that the new management team will make the necessary changes to insulate the stars.

As for Nurse, I agree that he won't be an offensive player, but he can already play solid defense. He is big and strong and will only get bigger and stronger. In 3-5 years, he will be the shutdown, #1 dman the team needs in the same way that Adam Foote was for Colorado.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Changes are happening at the managerial level already, so I have faith that the new management team will make the necessary changes to insulate the stars.

As for Nurse, I agree that he won't be an offensive player, but he can already play solid defense. He is big and strong and will only get bigger and stronger. In 3-5 years, he will be the shutdown, #1 dman the team needs in the same way that Adam Foote was for Colorado.
    Agreed re Nurse. That kid is going to be a menace to opposing forwards for many years to come. Just get yourselves a PPQB and you'll be fine on the back end (goalie issues notwithstanding)
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Agreed re Nurse. That kid is going to be a menace to opposing forwards for many years to come. Just get yourselves a PPQB and you'll be fine on the back end (goalie issues notwithstanding)
    I bet Schultz could do the job just fine if he was surrounded with more capable defenders.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust