Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

I...am your father.

Default Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

I'm getting awfully tired of hear this. And it's the Toronto media I'm exposed to the most, so maybe this isn't worldwide. But the Edmonton Oilers are not the worst landing spot for McDavid. Not even among the 25 worst teams. So I'll put on my contrarian hat here and tell you why. Let's assume he could only go to six teams, and throw the other eight out the window because of low odds.

The Contenders

1. Buffalo - This was my personal favorite landing place (other than Toronto, of course). And this would have been great for McDavid. He would be the best star that the Sabres have ever seen, including Perreault, Lafontaine and Mogilny. The team is in a great rebuild and have supplementary pieces of which to surround him. I would rate the fit for McDavid an A+

2. Arizona - This was the one team that I absolutely did not want to see get him. He would kickstart hockey in Arizona...but only for about a year. When they aren't winning and the buzz has worn off, people will start going. I don't want McDavid in no-man's land - and this team could "ruin" him. It also just doesn't feel right having him play for any of the "sunbelt" cities. Fit: C-

3. Edmonton - A team on the cusp of pushing forward for the last three years. I know I say this year after year, and I've never been so wrong about a team - but I don't care. They're on the cusp. The No.1 thing I remember about CHI (when they sucked) and PIT (when they sucked) was thinking how they're on the cusp. And even after adding Crosby, PIT still didn't make the playoffs. We STILL had to wait for this team. So whatever wait time we as fans have in our head, we need to add about three years to that when it comes to teams that build this way. Obviously the ideal way to build would be Calgary's way, but that doesn't always work - they got some luck in Giordano becoming one of the best dmen in hockey and a less-touted prospect emerging as a superstar. Just look at Toronto - would they have enjoyed success if Phaneuf blossomed the way Giordano did, and Bozak made a splash like Gaudreau? Anyway, I digress. Edmonton chose the slow and steady way and even they didn't anticipate this continuing in 2013-14 and 2014-15!

So now the Oilers are loaded with skill, to the point where their forwards are as skilled as any team in the league. Now they need a stud D and a decent G. Does it mean playoffs? I'll probably say 'no' when I get around to my Guide, but they WILL get in by 2016-17.

Where does he get ruined? The fanbase is awesome. Gretzky was huge and McDavid will be embraced the same way. In the new era with Twitter, YouTube, etc - McDavid will be huge there. He'll love it, too. Lots of teammates close to his own age who have gone through the same thing. And they'll win as much as they'll lose next year (I'm thinking 90 points, close to playoffs) - with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse and the goalie they acquire (Niemi?) this team is twice as good as last season. And don't forget - I believe Schultz suffered a sophomore slump and will bounce back.

4. Toronto - This would have saved the embarrassment of a franchise and in way, the entire league. Gong show. And getting McDavid would fix that so well. But if you want to stick McDavid in a situation that would "ruin" him, this is that situation. So from a personal standpoint, I want McDavid here. A+. But from an unbiased standpoint, Fit: D

5. Carolina - Given the other choices, how would Carolina be a good fit? Not very "hockey mad", not much in the way of stars to play with (even Staal is no longer the star he was) and not much on the way in terms of prospects. Could the NHL market "Carolina Hurricanes star, Connor McDavid"? I don't think so. Fit: D

6. New Jersey - Well...did the NHL market New Jersey's other superstars of the past? Not really. Who's heard of Scott Stevens in the USA outside of hockey fans? And Ilya Kovalchuk? McDavid would be a waste of marketing. At least with Edmonton, the Canadian marketing and buzz would be so huge that it would drip down into the US wherever he went. Fans won't gobble up tickets if New Jersey comes to town, regardless of McDavid, or anyone else. Fit: D

I can keep going up the line, but the two fits to me are BUF and EDM. The only other decent fit I can see in the Bottom 14 is PHI

Connor McDavid Profile
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Default Re: Sick of hearing Edmonton as "worst McDavid landing spot"

I'm no fan of the Leafs, but I really would have loved a Leafs/McDavid versus Sabres/Eichel rivalry for the next decade. That would have been simply amazing. [sigh]
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Dobber, you say the Oilers are gonna improve every single season They won't unless they get veterans to insulate these guys

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I guess we sit "fit" as different. How is LA not a fit? One of the largest media markets in the states. I don't care if hockey is "secondary" there, McDavid would still be a star in LA. Or Columbus. Maybe not as marketable of a place, but in terms of real life hockey, McDavid could have made that team a juggernaut. I see at least 5 fits (your 3, plus these 2), with arguments to be made for both Dallas and San Jose.

From an NHL TV exposure perspective, I think Bettman et al were hoping for a different landing spot. Not that I care about Bettman, mind you, just sayin'...I think East Coast exposure would be a better marketing/revenue stream.

But again, just a guess.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I know I say this year after year, and I've never been so wrong about a team - but I don't care. They're on the cusp.
    In my experience saying the same thing about the Kings a few years back, what's going to have to happen is that you have to give up on them after another disappointing year, say "I give up, Edmonton will suck forever" in writing, and then they will sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed and win the cup.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

I hear ya Dobber. Between people saying the Oilers are going to "ruin" another young asset to Edmonton being the worst landing spot for him, it's getting old.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

keep in mind that McDavid is touted as a generational talent like Ovechkin or Crosby. Also keep in mind that Ovi and Crosby had 100+ points their rookie season. Even a small step down - Geno had 85 points his rookie year

-
    .. so if McDavid doesn't hit those numbers, then yes he will be a disappointment in the sense that he's not so much a generational talent as he is just another 1st round pick. If he doesn't hit those numbers, the oilers will be blamed whether it's fair or not.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I hear ya Dobber. Between people saying the Oilers are going to "ruin" another young asset to Edmonton being the worst landing spot for him, it's getting old.
    I hear ya. It is getting old. I'm similarly tired of hearing that water is wet.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    keep in mind that McDavid is touted as a generational talent like Ovechkin or Crosby. Also keep in mind that Ovi and Crosby had 100+ points their rookie season. Even a small step down - Geno had 85 points his rookie year

-
    .. so if McDavid doesn't hit those numbers, then yes he will be a disappointment in the sense that he's not so much a generational talent as he is just another 1st round pick. If he doesn't hit those numbers, the oilers will be blamed whether it's fair or not.
    you can't compare scoring now vs then. i think in crosby's rookie year the art ross winner got like 120 points or something like that. jumbo joe i think? vs this year benn barely finished above ppg?

i think we will see a few 90 point scorers next year, maybe 100 if crosby returns to form. but i HIGHLY doubt mcdavid hits 80+ points next summer, i've been saying it all summer.

Dobber Sports Deity

When no one in the league is hitting 90 points in a full season, it's hard to expect that out of a rookie.

Never say never, but anyone can see that scoring is down in the NHL compared to Crosby and Ovechkins rookie season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Yeah, from a hockey perspective I know this is probably the best landing spot. He can walk in there as the #1 or #2 center immediately and play with skilled wingers. I don't think Oilers have ruined any of their forwards - the only thing theyve done is maybe waste some of their best years on poor teams. From a business of hockey standpoint I'm still pretty disappointed that garbage Oilers management was once again rewarded for their incompetence. But it was a lottery, and we must accept the consequences.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    Yeah, from a hockey perspective I know this is probably the best landing spot. He can walk in there as the #1 or #2 center immediately and play with skilled wingers. I don't think Oilers have ruined any of their forwards - the only thing theyve done is maybe waste some of their best years on poor teams. From a business of hockey standpoint I'm still pretty disappointed that garbage Oilers management was once again rewarded for their incompetence. But it was a lottery, and we must accept the consequences.
    These are my feelings as well. I don't think the Oilers are ruining any of their prospects, but I do believe that they are being mishandled and that there needs to be a management overhaul in EDM.
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    i more or less agree with this except oilers management couldve done better letting hall and RNH heal from their shoulder injuries even if they were just lingering issues from their junior days. when youre in your early 20s, long-term health is the most important.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Titan

McDavid in Dallas would be sick to see. But McDavid seems to be Mr Serious and Benn/Seguin are quite the jokers. Even if their play on the ice meshes, the social media that exploits Seguin’s/Benn’s personalities in Dallas wouldn’t work with McDavid.

Honestly, McDavid with Hall is prolly the best situation he could have had. Hall is a serious guy that is still young and jokes around a bit. Reminds me of Toews. McDavid is going to 1 of 2 teams that were in the race that had an 80pt winger threat in their system already (other being Toronto). Other than that, it would be McDavid dragging wingers along till the team’s management realizes they need a Kunitz to their Crosby kinda deal. McDavid is walking onto a team that looks like it was built for him already.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll