Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Byfuglien Will Be Traded

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Byfuglien Will Be Traded

I think the team can definitely survive and even thrive without Buff, and I think Chevy has to consider it. He'll be a UFA after next season, and despite his defensive shortcomings, he'll command a pretty hefty salary when that time comes.

Buff is a unique player, and has a lot to offer to a team. He's probably the most physically powerful man in the NHL, he's a tremendous breakout passer, his personality is excellent for a team, as he keeps the room light, and his team-mates loves him. For those reasons, Chevy has to think long and hard about moving a guy like this. Trade Buff and the locker room is a lot different, and all of a sudden the Jets are a far, far less physically imposing team. They already lost a tonne of grit in the Bogo/Kane deal. Take away Buff and the team had better have a lot of talent to make up for that loss.

I think the upcoming contract is the main reason why they should ultimately trade him. As much as he does for the team, I'm not sure that he's worth what he'll be asking (and ultimately getting, one way or another). He'd be the highest paid player on the team by a fair margin, I think. Maybe he is worth that, but the end of the season and playoffs sure leave something to be desired.

A lot could depend on what happens with the team's current UFA's this summer, namely Frolik, Stafford and Stempniak, regarding what their top 6/9 looks like going forward.

After what Chevy pulled off this season, I trust him to make the right decisions.

The Great One

talking about click-bait titles, lol........

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ok look at it a different way. Buff is in the last year of his deal. He's a UFA summer of 2016. Cap hit of $5.2, real salary of $6 million. I don't see any way Buff doesn't at least stay at that $6 million salary, so his cap hit will go up. Realistically, he probably gets a raise. Given what Winnipeg has on defence, do they want to pay Buff $7 mil a season next summer? Do they want to lose him for nothing? If they don't plan to resign him (I don't think they will), is it better to lose that asset for nothing, trade him at the trade deadline, or trade him in the offseason. Sure maybe it will "rock the core", but that's easier to recover from in a full season than it might be at the trade deadline, and losing him for nothing seems disastrous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    talking about click-bait titles, lol........
    Hockey forum is a lot different from a published article.........

Banned

what about Anderson in a package?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    what about Anderson in a package?
    That's the right track, but WPG would want a stud as well. High caliber prospect or young player, who OTT probably won't want to include
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i considered ottawa as a potential destination as it would be fun to watch byfuglien and karlsson tear shit up.

but i dont think the sens can afford to risk letting byfuglien walk the next summer. or what if he wants to get paid, would the sens be able to ante up that much for him when he can easily get 7M minimum as a FA?

are there any other recent examples of a star player being traded with 1 year left on his contract? i know if they are moved at the deadline they wont fetch much, but the summer before is a different scenario. would he still need a stud prospect back if it's one year left on his deal? sign and trade makes so much sense yet we rarely see it in hockey...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    That's the right track, but WPG would want a stud as well. High caliber prospect or young player, who OTT probably won't want to include
    i'd give Anderson and Hoffman or Cowen in a package

Dobber Sports Ace

With 1 year left, I think the obvious key is if they expect to re-sign him or not. Obviously if they don't or don't feel they can come to a deal, you have a Callahan type situation, where you have to trade him. That's not the position the Jets want to be in, so maybe it is best to either re-sign him by the draft or move him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I don't fully agree with this. When all of Winnipeg's D-core was injured, he carry that team. And he played AWESOME defensively. But he definitely hurt more than he helped in the Anaheim series.
    I don't watch a lot of WPG games, but anytime I do I marvel at how many times a game Enstrom (or others) has to bail him out of trouble due to a very poor decision by Buff. He has great offensive instincts, but they come at a price and in my viewings, he hurts more than he helps. He's not a guy I would want in my top 4... He seems like a guy fans would enjoy watching, but not a guy you win Cups with. He's too much of a liability.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    I don't watch a lot of WPG games, but anytime I do I marvel at how many times a game Enstrom (or others) has to bail him out of trouble due to a very poor decision by Buff. He has great offensive instincts, but they come at a price and in my viewings, he hurts more than he helps. He's not a guy I would want in my top 4... He seems like a guy fans would enjoy watching, but not a guy you win Cups with. He's too much of a liability.
    Big Buff on Defense = No cup

Big Buff on Wing = Cup.

Quite simple really.

WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by glorybe23 View Post
    Big Buff on Defense = No cup

Big Buff on Wing = Cup.

Quite simple really.

In fairness, not really comparable. Buff was a much different player at that point in his career.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Buff is a true impact player, both on offense and defense, but not always in a positive way for the Jets! I'd love to see him on Edmonton, but yeah, he does come with some warts. Don't care, pair him with a responsible guy and let the big guy play!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Buff is a true impact player, both on offense and defense, but not always in a positive way for the Jets! I'd love to see him on Edmonton, but yeah, he does come with some warts. Don't care, pair him with a responsible guy and let the big guy play!
    But....how?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    But....how?
    bondon, bondon, bondon...that's so hurtful...and yes, the truth does hurt sometimes...screw you pal, go back to ruining goalies, okay?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Like I said. Myers, Trouba, Stuart, Enstrom, Chariot, Morrissey. Where is the hole?
    Enstrom is the hole.. I hear and get all the fancy possession numbers, but he can't take the big hits he receives all the time.. He doesn't seem like a good fit.. The team plays amazing when he is out of the line up too..

I think both Buff and Enstrom are traded.. Chariot and Harrison take their spots.. Trouba Myers Stuart Chariot top 4.. Harrison and Pardy 5-6..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..