Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kessel to NJ for the 6th?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Kessel to NJ for the 6th?

6th overall is not near enough for Kessel. #6 is a what if... a could be. Kessel already is a fantastic hockey player.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    6th overall is not near enough for Kessel. #6 is a what if... a could be. Kessel already is a fantastic hockey player.
    agreed, but you have to factor in salary.

if devils are sending back some salary like ruutu/zubrus etc, then leafs should get more.

otherwise 6th overall + 8M cap space for kessel isnt the worst offer.

Dobber Sports Ninja

6th overall draft pick for the guy who's already finished 6th in scoring in 3 of the last 4 years. Ridiculous...

Dobber Sports Master

If I was a Leafs fan, and thank jesus I am not... I would hope that the Leaf brass would be looking for more than #6 for Kessel. When they traded for Kessel, they had to give up 2 1sts and a 2nd. Kessel has turned into one of the best scorers in the NHL. In my opinion, the price should be higher than (2nd overall and #32 in 2010, plus #9 overall in 2011) which is what they originally paid.

Dobber Sports Superstar

If cap space is such a huge issue and so valuable, just take additional money back in any trade. What are the Leafs going to do with $8 mil in cap space? Nothing. You would use that to sign free agents, but It's not like they are planning on being competitive in the near future. Take back some bad contract that expire sooner than Kessels, you're going to need players anyways, and that way you'll have that $8 mil in cap space when you really need/want it. But you HAVE to make sure you get enough futures if you're going to trade Kessel, and the #6 is not even close to enough value.

Dobber Sports Pro

Screw Kessel, how about 6th+Zajac+Gelinas for Malkin? Shero will hire Bylsma, might as well scoop up a Penguin too!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Screw Kessel, how about 6th+Zajac+Gelinas for Malkin? Shero will hire Bylsma, might as well scoop up a Penguin too!
    Wow thats a horrible offer.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Wow thats a horrible offer.
    Is it though?

Can you show me any trade in NHL history where a top 5 superstar was traded for what appeared to be a "good deal"? Can you remind me again of who Pittsburgh got for Jagr? I can't remember because it was such a bad deal.

Zajac is a perfect two way 2nd line center, Gelinas is a large dman which is a type of player the Pens desperately need, and the pick would net them a legit scoring forward-- Marner or Rantanen-- to play with Crosby.

Obviously it's not going to happen and I was just joking around, but it's not far off at all when considering how GMs evaluate deals. Look at all the trades in the last decade. This isn't fantasy hockey. The Devils got Schneider for a pick and he's one of the best goalies in the league.

Dobber Sports Titan

Is it though?

Can you show me any trade in NHL history where a top 5 superstar was traded for what appeared to be a "good deal"? Can you remind me again of who Pittsburgh got for Jagr? I can't remember because it was such a bad deal.

Zajac is a perfect two way 2nd line center, Gelinas is a large dman which is a type of player the Pens desperately need, and the pick would net them a legit scoring forward-- Marner or Rantanen-- to play with Crosby.

Obviously it's not going to happen and I was just joking around, but it's not far off at all when considering how GMs evaluate deals. Look at all the trades in the last decade. This isn't fantasy hockey. The Devils got Schneider for a pick and he's one of the best goalies in the league.
    When Lemieux came back to the Penguins they couldn’t afford Jagr and Lemieux (remember they were a small market), and there was friction between the two because even tho Jagr had the Captaincy, everyone viewed Lemieux as the captain. So they traded Jagr (and his massive salary) for Beech, Sivek, and Lupaschuk. So they just gave him away because team friction and massive contract. I don’t see any friction with Malkin, and in the salary cap era teams can afford players and shipping them away because you can’t pay them anymore isn’t happening. Like the Penguins physically couldn’t write Jagr a cheque and make ends meet at the same time.

St Louis for Callahan, 1st, 2nd, and a conditional was prolly the most recent star to be dealt. And that was an overpayment by NYR.

Seguin trade. Even tho they didn’t get a lot in retrospect, at the time it was a kid who had troubles publically, and wasn’t producing up to what people thought. He was traded for an ex-35goal scorer and depth. At the time it was a decent trade.

Rick Nash for Dubinsky, Anisimov, Tim Erixon, and a 1st rounder in 2013 (Rychel) was solid.

Jeff Carter for Voracek, 1st round (couturier), and 3rd (Nick Cousins) round in 2011. And Mike Richards for Schenn and Simmonds.

Those were all stars being traded away at the time in the cap era. This is what trades are like now. You give up a star for a prospect, and 2 picks (1 being a 1st rounder).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Is it though?

I think that you're ignoring the elephant in the room, which is that Zajac's contract is pretty awful for the caliber of player that he is, and he's only two years into it's eight-year duration. Also it comes with a full no-trade.

Why would any GM trade Malkin for a $6.5 mil 2nd line center?

RETIRED

The Great One

Got my comic relief today. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Got my comic relief today. Thanks.

That's what I'm here for folks!

Still waiting for the day when someone in this forum is smart enough to detect sarcasm in written form. I'll continue to stand by.

Considering Rutherford gave Despres away for a press-box defenseman I'm starting to think that he doesn't know how to make trades. If Malkin does get traded (which the brass has vehemently stated that he won't, hence my apparently well-disguised sarcasm) you can almost guarantee the return would not be enough.

The Great One

Still waiting for the day when someone in this forum is smart enough to detect sarcasm in written form.
    pretty hard to detect in written form.....by a stranger on the internet no less....unless it's ericdauost, 99% of his post are sarcastic

let me know if it happens though

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    pretty hard to detect in written form.....by a stranger on the internet no less....unless it's ericdauost, 99% of his post are sarcastic

let me know if it happens though
    Then goes on saying how it’s not hard to believe that trade and talks about jagr’s trade in a 2 paragraph post. 1 liners are usually sarcastic posts, not 2 paragraphers. Sometimes people are best to just post “(SARCASM)” at the end of a post.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That's what I'm here for folks!

Still waiting for the day when someone in this forum is smart enough to detect sarcasm in written form. I'll continue to stand by.

Considering Rutherford gave Despres away for a press-box defenseman I'm starting to think that he doesn't know how to make trades. If Malkin does get traded (which the brass has vehemently stated that he won't, hence my apparently well-disguised sarcasm) you can almost guarantee the return would not be enough.
    So you focus on the Despres deal, and yet the Neal-Hornqvist/Spaling deal was a heist for Pittsburgh (I'll laugh when you disagree, given your previous admonition that this isn't fantasy hockey) the Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo trade was as good for Pittsburgh as the Despres trade was bad, and then Winnik trade was basically indifferent. Given that's 4 trades, that comes out as a net positive.

As for your absolutely laughable trade offer, Gelinas is about the one thing Pittsburgh doesn't need. They already have a ton of young Dmen both large and small, offensive and defensive in their system, Travis Zajac is Brandon Sutter at double the price, and the 6th round pick plus 2 junk players makes Pittsburgh significantly worse.