Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [RUMOR] Buffalo signing Eichel's linemate from college

Administrator

Default Re: [RUMOR] Buffalo signing Eichel's linemate from college

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    My nephew asked me what I thought about the Rodriguez signing, and I had really no opinion on it at all. Don't know much about the kid as a player. I suppose Murray see's more in him than merely Eichel's former team mate - a player whose sole purpose is to make Eichel's transition more fluid. But I really don't know.
    He's not much different than most other prospects coming out of the NCAA. Talented but he's at a more advanced age (turns 22 this summer) so he'll have less time to make an impact.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

I have so many thoughts running through my head after reading through this post.

First, who the hell is Rodriguez? Never heard of him before reading this thread, but I am intrigued.

Second, 1st line minutes for a kid I never heard of? Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but it is rare for any rookie to get top line minutes, especially one I've never heard of before.

Third, I agree with the comment that someone made earlier that Murray should be doing everything he can to make Eichel feel comfortable after the comments he made after losing the lottery. This seems like a good step in that direction.

Fourth, Auston Matthews anyone? One way for Buffalo to quickly forget about losing out on McDavid would be having Eichel and Matthews on the same team for 15 years. That'd be scary good, and Buffalo will surely be in a lottery position again next year, even if they don't tank on purpose again.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lottery next season is a lot harder to win, with top 3 being up for grabs

Banned

if you have a Mexican rookie on your first line, you probably won't be very good

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lottery next season is a lot harder to win, with top 3 being up for grabs
    I know...but Buffalo will definitely have some of the best odds at winning the top pick (even if it is only 15-20%).

Anyway, just saying that it'd be nice to see Eichel and Matthews on the same team.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Anyway, just saying that it'd be nice to see Eichel and Matthews on the same team.
    I wouldn't like it. They both project as clear-cut #1 centers (I think Matthews might even become better than Eichel), so it wouldn't be fair for one of them to play on the 2nd line. I know Malkin has done it but it hasn't been good for the league in general. Stud players like Matthews and Eichel need to have their own team to make the league more interesting.

I'm hoping a team like Toronto, Carolina or New Jersey to get Matthews. All of those teams need a stud #1 center. Arizona would also be a great destination if they don't take Strome 3rd overall but I think they will.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Matthews in Arizona would be cool. He's from there. Not many homegrown all-stars are from Arizona for them to market.

I think Seadawg is a brilliant, brilliant forward thinking man, and should be commended for his ideas!

@SmittysRant

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I wouldn't like it. They both project as clear-cut #1 centers (I think Matthews might even become better than Eichel), so it wouldn't be fair for one of them to play on the 2nd line. I know Malkin has done it but it hasn't been good for the league in general. Stud players like Matthews and Eichel need to have their own team to make the league more interesting.

I'm hoping a team like Toronto, Carolina or New Jersey to get Matthews. All of those teams need a stud #1 center. Arizona would also be a great destination if they don't take Strome 3rd overall but I think they will.
    I don't think Buffalo will complain about having an abundance of quality centers. I'm sure they'd find a way to make it work.

As for the league in general, that is a subjective opinion. I've always thought it was kinda neat to have Malkin and Crosby on the same team. I'm hoping things will work out well with McDavid and RNH on the same team. I think it is important for a team to have two quality centers. If they both happen to be superstars (Eichel and Matthews), I'm sure there are worse problems to have.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't think Buffalo will complain about having an abundance of quality centers. I'm sure they'd find a way to make it work.

As for the league in general, that is a subjective opinion. I've always thought it was kinda neat to have Malkin and Crosby on the same team. I'm hoping things will work out well with McDavid and RNH on the same team. I think it is important for a team to have two quality centers. If they both happen to be superstars (Eichel and Matthews), I'm sure there are worse problems to have.
    For sure it's not a problem for the team. But just think how much more interesting the league would be with Malkin on another team as the undisputed #1 player. That would make a team like New Jersey worth watching instead of everyone staying away from those games.

And I don't see RNH being in the same class with the rest of the names mentioned here; I don't mind him being a #2 center. I agree that teams need two strong centers to be successful, I just don't want to see stud #1 centers playing in that #2 center role. I prefer seeing a tandem like Getzlaf and Kesler in Anaheim; a stud #1 center and a very strong #2 center who can occasionally fill in as the #1 center when needed but isn't built for that role long-term.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    For sure it's not a problem for the team. But just think how much more interesting the league would be with Malkin on another team as the undisputed #1 player. That would make a team like New Jersey worth watching instead of everyone staying away from those games.

And I don't see RNH being in the same class with the rest of the names mentioned here; I don't mind him being a #2 center. I agree that teams need two strong centers to be successful, I just don't want to see stud #1 centers playing in that #2 center role. I prefer seeing a tandem like Getzlaf and Kesler in Anaheim; a stud #1 center and a very strong #2 center who can occasionally fill in as the #1 center when needed but isn't built for that role long-term.
    Well like I said I actually like two superstar centers on the same team. I think parity is over rated. I love going to Pens games to watch Malkin and Crosby together. On the pp and sometimes on the same line or on different lines, it is all exciting to me. But it is a matter of opinion I suppose. Personally I'm all for dynasties in pro sports and there isn't enough of that anymore in hockey.

Oh, and I know RNH isn't in the same class as those others but he is still a number 1 center who will be forced to play 2C.

EDIT: Datsyuk and Zetterberg is another example of two superstar centers on the same team, and Detroit is another team that I love to watch.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap