Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Moves?

The Great One

Default Re: Edmonton Moves?

Well there's another expensive goalie that seems to have lost his spot at the moment so maybe Detroit is a fit?

Howard for RNH or A Nother player

or maybe a bigger stretch and I'm sure there would be other pieces due to cap etc

EDM -

Howard and Lupul

TOR -

RNH

DET -

Phaneuf

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Oilers should either sign Niemi or trade for Howard who seems to have lost his starting position. They don't need to sacrifice any of their top players for that, an early 2nd round pick should be enough for Howard if the Wings want him out.

Free Agents will now want to play in Edmonton, so the Oilers should go after players like Mike Green, Paul Martin, Ehrhoff and Franson. They don't need to overpay anymore (at least not more than any other team). If that plan happens to fail, they can go after someone like Phaneuf. The Leafs want to get rid of him, so the price is not huge. Maybe Pittsburgh's 1st round pick and a good prospect.

I see no reason why the Oilers should trade any of their top forwards at this point. They have at least 2 years to figure out who stays and who goes. They can start the season with:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
    Gordon-Draisaitl-Purcell

Or they could go with:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Draisaitl-McDavid-Yakupov
    Pouliot-Gordon-Purcell

Either way, there's room for all of them while Draisaitl and McDavid are still on their ELC, and Yakupov is signed for $2.5M for two years. Take your time, there's no rush. If Draisaitl is not a fit on wing and he proves himself to be good enough for Top-6, the Oilers will need to trade one of their centers (RNH or Draisaitl). If Draisaitl happens to be a good winger, they can keep all of them long-term. Either way, RNH's value will not go down in two years, and Draisaitl's value only goes up.

Cap space could become an issue but they need to dump players like Nikitin and Purcell if that allows them to sign a better free agent this summer. Those players are badly overpaid, so even a buyout is a good option.

Dobber Sports Stud

The NJ Devils have a few younger nicely developing defensemen and need offense

Cam Talbot could probably be had as was reported in the media earlier in the season. The Rangers and Oilers have a history of deals too. Maybe Kevin Klein could be included ?

I do agree with the sentiment that some of what troubles Edmonton can be dealt with through free agency without losing current roster assets
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    The NJ Devils have a few younger nicely developing defensemen and need offense

Cam Talbot could probably be had as was reported in the media earlier in the season. The Rangers and Oilers have a history of deals too. Maybe Kevin Klein could be included ?

I do agree with the sentiment that some of what troubles Edmonton can be dealt with through free agency without losing current roster assets
    The Devils young D is no further along than Marincin and Klefbom. I don't see a fit there. The Oilers need veteran D, not more young D. Lots of young D in the system already.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Just spitballin' here, but what do you think of this?

To Ottawa
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, + combo of picks and spare parts

To Edmonton
    Cody Ceci, Craig Anderson, + combo of picks and spare parts to level the deal out

I'm starting to feel like HF Boards here (sorry ). But the Oilers need a goalie and Anderson popped into my head. The Sens don't need a center, so there's a big flaw. Do you have any ideas (without such a big flaw?)
    I like it but they'll be moving Cowen or Wiercioch instead of Ceci whose spot is secure. Cowen and Anderson for Yakupov and a pick. I don't like that too much either though, since we don't need RW right now. Yakupov would have to switch over.

Hoffman can also be included in a deal

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo2 View Post
    Well there's another expensive goalie that seems to have lost his spot at the moment so maybe Detroit is a fit?

Howard for RNH or A Nother player

or maybe a bigger stretch and I'm sure there would be other pieces due to cap etc

EDM -

Howard and Lupul

TOR -

RNH

DET -

Phaneuf
    No way the Oilers trade their #1 center for a goalie who has lost his starting job.

Historically, goalies never get a return like that.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    No way the Oilers trade their #1 center for a goalie who has lost his starting job.

Historically, goalies never get a return like that.
    Especially those on fat contracts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I cannot believe we have to have another year with Edmonton having the #1 pick. I never thought the draft needed to be amended until this fiasco of a team for 4 No. 1s in 5 years. This is Brutal.
    I heard that one option was to make it more likely for the last place to get #1 but to limit that selection to once every 3-5 years. Now I wish that were so.
    I cant wait until next year when EDM has a shot at #1 again and we all wonder how they screwed this one up.

The fact that they are letting the present management team handle this baffles me as well. If anyone has shown their lack of understanding how to develop and insulate young star players it is MavTavish and Co.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Mactavish just said on Sportsnet, that there is less than a zero percent chance they trade the #1 pick.
    Mactavish seems like a man who has no idea on what is going on from the management side of things..

Nobody in the league would trade McDavid..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The Oilers should either sign Niemi or trade for Howard who seems to have lost his starting position. They don't need to sacrifice any of their top players for that, an early 2nd round pick should be enough for Howard if the Wings want him out.

Free Agents will now want to play in Edmonton, so the Oilers should go after players like Mike Green, Paul Martin, Ehrhoff and Franson. They don't need to overpay anymore (at least not more than any other team). If that plan happens to fail, they can go after someone like Phaneuf. The Leafs want to get rid of him, so the price is not huge. Maybe Pittsburgh's 1st round pick and a good prospect.

I see no reason why the Oilers should trade any of their top forwards at this point. They have at least 2 years to figure out who stays and who goes. They can start the season with:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
    Gordon-Draisaitl-Purcell

Or they could go with:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Draisaitl-McDavid-Yakupov
    Pouliot-Gordon-Purcell

Either way, there's room for all of them while Draisaitl and McDavid are still on their ELC, and Yakupov is signed for $2.5M for two years. Take your time, there's no rush. If Draisaitl is not a fit on wing and he proves himself to be good enough for Top-6, the Oilers will need to trade one of their centers (RNH or Draisaitl). If Draisaitl happens to be a good winger, they can keep all of them long-term. Either way, RNH's value will not go down in two years, and Draisaitl's value only goes up.

Cap space could become an issue but they need to dump players like Nikitin and Purcell if that allows them to sign a better free agent this summer. Those players are badly overpaid, so even a buyout is a good option.

This is the correct answer. There is no reason to trade any of the core right now. Everyone has their panties in a bunch because they won the lottery and want to fleece them to somehow rectify how they shouldn't have won it. There is a 2 year window to let the team work itself out before the cap may become an issue. Who knows where the cap is going, and a close parallel to a different team in a different sport is the OKC Thunder. Traded away Harden because of cap issues they thought they would have a year early and ended up trading away someone they could have made work and who is now an MVP candidate for a different team while the assets they received back are negligible. The biggest advantage the lottery made may arguably be the huge upgrade in possibility of signing UFA's. I'd rather have them sign Niemi than having to give up real assets for Talbot, Jones, Crawford or Anderson. Matt O'Connor has another persuading reason to sign with the oilers. Martin, Michalek, Ehrhoff, Beauchemin are guys that went from 0 chance to some chance of signing in Edmonton. It's not time for MacT to be bold and if anything this buys him time. People aren't going to cancel their season tickets, hopefully they keep Nurse & Drai in the minors for longer than intended and they build a real backlog of talent banging the door to get into the league. I know it's juicy to think of deals for teams looking to prey on the oilers core, but it'll be hard for their assets' values to decrease from here, so it makes no sense to do it this year IMO.
    16team H2H Keeper league. 12F, 6D, 2G & 5BN.. 4IR
    G ,A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    F:, Brouwer, Carter, Clarkson, Crosby, Datsyuk, Hemsky, Johansson, J.Jokinen, Kopitar, Lee, Lindholm, Michalek, Rick Nash, Reider, E.Staal
    D: Zidlicky, Green, Streit, Hamonic, Weber, Gudas
    G: Smith, Rinne, Greiss, Brossoit
    Farm(Lottery tickets): Bjorkstrand, Deangelo, Dvorak, Nylander, Voynov

Dobber Sports Guru

Phaneuf and Reimer would be easy to acquire methinks.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Phaneuf and Reimer would be easy to acquire methinks.
    plus they each come with a hot wife so that must count for something in trade talks right?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Again, I see a fit with Anaheim...

Lots of good young D-Man.

2 good young goaltender...
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Again, I see a fit with Anaheim...

Lots of good young D-Man.

2 good young goaltender...
    Definitely see a fit with ANA, but unless ANA is tight against the cap, I don't see them moving either of their two goalies or one of their "young" D. Maybe they would move Beauchemin or Wisniewski for cap reasons?

Dobber Sports Pro

hopefully they don't trade one of HALL, RNH or EBERLE. They have been through hell.
    I can't see OEL moving, better chance of Phaneuf - maybe for Pittsburgh first rounder
    What about Gardiner?

They still have a shot at Matt OConnor. Sign a vet for a mentor.
    Sign Franson.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin