Thread: Won my league, at the cost of next year's (early) draft. Can't decide on my final keepers.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Won my league, at the cost of next year's (early) draft. Can't decide on my final keepers.

As stated in title, I paid a hefty price to win my league this year. Arguably too much, but we're in our second year of being a limited keeper, and myself and another GM have essentially alternated wins in our past 5 years (we were a one-year prior to keeper), so I had to win this year for pride points.

I have some obvious keepers in Price, Ovi, Subban, Burns, Getz, and Dubinsky(multi-cat monster, when healthy). Given that I do not pick until the 5th round, and how goalies are valued in our league, I think I'm forced to keep a goalie. The only argument against that would be there perennial 3 or 4 starters that emerge from the shadows early or mid-season. If I'm going to keep a second goalie, I think it should be Allen. Thoughts?

For my final spot, I'm thinking Hamonic. If he keeps shooting as much as he has been, even with a slight regression in points, he's obviously a top 8ish d-man in our format. I believed for most of the season that Galchenyuk would be my final keeper, and although I have faith in him, I feel like I can draft him in the 5th, 6th, or even 7th in our league. Muzzin is also an obvious consideration, as he shoot/scores more, but having a productive player who gets PIMs in Hamonic I think tips in the scales in his favour.

Zib is definitely intriguing, but I really don't know a lot about him outside of analytics. Callahan is an obvious producer in my league, but the forward depth in Tampa has me very, very reluctant to keep him. Carter has the elusive RW that takes draws eligibility, however, like Callahan, he's an extremely tilting player in a weekly H2H.

EDIT: I just realized I posted this in the incorrect forum (we're not a cap league). If a mod could move/delete, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Won my league, at the cost of next year's (early) draft. Can't decide on my final keepers.

Ovechkin, Price, Subban, Getzlaf and Burns are keepers for sure. So it comes down to the last three spots. Dubinsky's injury-history makes me worry but if you think he's a keeper for sure, fine by me.

I think you have to keep Allen but you still need to draft another goalie early because Allen is more of a #3G in a 12-team league with two goalie spots.

The final spot is really between Hamonic and Carter in my opinion. Galchenyuk has higher upside but isn't really there yet, and the difference isn't big enough to keep him. I would probably keep Hamonic because of how hard it is to find a D-man like him. Good forwards are usually easier to find from the draft.

So 8 keepers: Ovechkin, Price, Subban, Getzlaf, Burns, Dubinsky, Allen & Hamonic