Thread: Final central scouting rankings

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Final central scouting rankings

Central Scouting released its final rankings. Any surprises?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Final central scouting rankings

Crouse ahead of Marner is surprising to me.

Also, Kylington ranked 6th behind some lesser-known players is very surprising.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Now I admit I'm no scout - but how is Crouse ahead of Marner here? I had to read this sentence twice:

"Crouse led Kingston with 29 goals and 51 points in 56 games. He also had seven power-play goals, two shorthanded goals and a plus-10 rating. Marner finished second in the OHL with 126 points."

Ho-hum - only 75 more points on the year! I know who I'm taking in our fantasy draft.
    H2H 12-team Full Keeper - G, A, +/-, PIM, Hits, PPP, SHP, GWG, Shootout Goals, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    24 roster, 6 Farm (<25gp - adjusted only in the offseason)

Banned

Crouse is a stud. His team was dog shit so his points are lower than they should have been, but he's going to be a Landeskog type player in the league. It's like comparing Landeskog to Huberdeau (Marner).

I don't know who this is but I want JAKOB FORSBACKA KARLSSON.

Hearing very good things about Joel Eriksson Ek as well

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Crouse is a stud. His team was dog shit so his points are lower than they should have been, but he's going to be a Landeskog type player in the league. It's like comparing Landeskog to Huberdeau (Marner).
    I would say Crouse is less skilled than Landeskog while Marner is more skilled than Huberdeau. More like Scott Hartnell and Patrick Kane in my opinion. Hartnell was a 6th overall pick.

Crouse will be a good NHL player but not as good as Landeskog. I just don't see it. But they're similar types, you're right about that.

Dobber Sports Titan

How about Jack Flinn. Owen Sound goalie. 6’7” 224lbs. wow. That’s a big boy

Or some 6’6” 200+lbs D men from Russia. Falkovsky, and Paigin.

Lanky D-man from Sweden in Fontana. 6’7.5” 182lbs.

Martenet from London 6’7” 198lbs is another big d-man

I’d be drafting big big d-men like those 4 (tell Fontana to lift some iron) and have a Jets like d-core. Just big, imposing d-men. And most they’re all going to be going about a round away from each other I think so a team could do it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would say Crouse is less skilled than Landeskog while Marner is more skilled than Huberdeau. More like Scott Hartnell and Patrick Kane in my opinion. Hartnell was a 6th overall pick.

Crouse will be a good NHL player but not as good as Landeskog. I just don't see it. But they're similar types, you're right about that.
    It was just a style comparison and just cautioning people not to just look at points. I think he has every chance to be as good or close to as good as Landeskog, he would be getting more hype from people if he didn't play with a bunch of losers offensively for the majority of the season. Best power forward in the draft, can skate very well, and IMO has 30 goal potential. But regardless a prime Hartnell would be great and I doubt Marner will come close to Kane levels. I think Crouse is gonna be a Top 5 pick. We'll see!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How about Jack Flinn. Owen Sound goalie. 6’7” 224lbs. wow. That’s a big boy

Or some 6’6” 200+lbs D men from Russia. Falkovsky, and Paigin.

Lanky D-man from Sweden in Fontana. 6’7.5” 182lbs.

Martenet from London 6’7” 198lbs is another big d-man

I’d be drafting big big d-men like those 4 (tell Fontana to lift some iron) and have a Jets like d-core. Just big, imposing d-men. And most they’re all going to be going about a round away from each other I think so a team could do it.
    it depends if they're actually imposing or if they're Tyler Myers. Flyers already made this mistake with Morin and that was in the early 1st.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    it depends if they're actually imposing or if they're Tyler Myers. Flyers already made this mistake with Morin and that was in the early 1st.
    It’s hard to tell unless you watch Jr games. But looking at Martenet’s points, he only has 16pts in 64OHL games and 49PIMs. I’d like to think that makes him a shutdown guy being ranked 81st of NA skaters, otherwise he’d be ranked lower for putting up a 0.25PPG pace.

Paigin was the player that threw his stick into the crowd at the gold medal WJC. From that tourney I think he was a smooth moving, big, scary D-man. But again, hard to tell if he’s a hitter or not.

No clue about that Falkovsky guy. He plays in Minsk and all I can think about is Chandler Bing going to Minsk now. He’s playing on a means team which doesn’t really ice their youth as we all know, and with limited stats I can’t find his TOI. But on a team called Yunior Minsk in the Belarus2 league, he had 8pts in 9 games and 14PIMs this year. I’m guessing that’s a Junior league.

Fontana on Lugano U20 Elite Jr.A team, he had 6pts in 34 games and 57PIMs. Kinda looks like he’s an enforcing d-man. But hard to tell yet again.

But all those guys are like 40s+ ranked in their section (North America and International). So in a game (completely different than reality I know) I’d be taking these guys as late round fliers just based on their size IF they can hit and aren’t afraid to get grindy.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

CSS is smart enough to not look at point totals for junior players. They look at the player and transferability of the player's skills to the NHL game. Crouse is similar to D. Backes - how many 6'4", 220lb forwards are in the NHL that have plus skating and a high-end shot. Add to that, Crouse is a complete player... he kills penalties, plays physical, forechecks like hell, plus he has offensive skills that translate to the NHL game. Looks like a pretty valuable forward to me. Coach's love these guys, because even if they aren't scoring they help you win. He's a pretty safe pick, with high upside. Not debating against Marner, just that Crouse is a gem and he has room to grow... A LOT.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    CSS is smart enough to not look at point totals for junior players. They look at the player and transferability of the player's skills to the NHL game. Crouse is similar to D. Backes - how many 6'4", 220lb forwards are in the NHL that have plus skating and a high-end shot. Add to that, Crouse is a complete player... he kills penalties, plays physical, forechecks like hell, plus he has offensive skills that translate to the NHL game. Looks like a pretty valuable forward to me. Coach's love these guys, because even if they aren't scoring they help you win. He's a pretty safe pick, with high upside. Not debating against Marner, just that Crouse is a gem and he has room to grow... A LOT.
    Yep, agreed.

Crouse is the type of player that every team wishes they had but very few can find. I will be surprised if he's a top 5 pick in real life, but he's definitely in that 6-10 range. He might slip in at #5 but that's a might.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Yep, agreed.

Crouse is the type of player that every team wishes they had but very few can find. I will be surprised if he's a top 5 pick in real life, but he's definitely in that 6-10 range. He might slip in at #5 but that's a might.
    Yeah, I totally agree. I'm not saying Crouse isn't a good player. I just don't think he should be drafted in the Top-5. But between #7 and #12, sure.

In fantasy hockey, I wouldn't draft him in the Top-10.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Yeah, I totally agree. I'm not saying Crouse isn't a good player. I just don't think he should be drafted in the Top-5. But between #7 and #12, sure.

In fantasy hockey, I wouldn't draft him in the Top-10.
    Multi-cat leagues, I sure would.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."