Thread: Too Many Dmen

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Too Many Dmen

My team in a 30 team dynasty NHL salary cap (player's AAV) league that dresses 4 forward lines (positions matter), 6 dmen and 2 goalies each week is loaded with defensemen. I am going to need to move one or two of them this summer. The league uses the following skater stats: G, A, +/-, hits, takeaways, blocked shots, PP TOI/game, PK TOI/game. Which one of these dmen should I be looking to move first? Contract information is for next season.

Niklas Kronwall - $4.75M for 4 years
    Brent Burns - $5.76M for 2 years
    Dustin Byfuglien - $5.2M for 1 year
    Jonas Brodin - $4.17M for 6 years
    Justin Braun - $3.80M for 5 years
    Chris Tanev - $4.45M for 5 years
    Hampus Lindholm - $1.75M for 1 year
    Christian Folin - RFA
    Alex Petrovic - RFA

Petrovic, Brodin, Lindholm could be stashed in the minors for next year but the latter two are definitely roster worthy. My biggest concern is that without making any moves, I would be using up $30M of the $70M or so salary cap on my dmen. That is way higher than I want it to be. I would also have any of Francois Beauchemin, Jeff Petry or Barret Jackman if they sign contract extensions before July 1st.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Too Many Dmen

It has to be one of Brodin, Braun or Tanev. Check which one interests your league-mates the most.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I am starting to wonder if Petrovic is NHL-caliber dman at all.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ninja

For me, Braun would be the first to go.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm not sure Tanev is worth that much in fantasy -- but your cats aren't ones I use, so it's tough to gauge. Seems some of that production could be found more cheaply (same goes for Braun).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Stud

I would see if I could get a block-buster done with Burns try and patch up a weak roster spot in your lineup, then follow up with trading Tanev push the fact he gets consistent time with signing the new contract, also a nhl team thinks he worth a big long term contract.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Icon

Thank you all for the advice. I think I will end up exploring all of the possibilities this off-season to see which of my dmen an opposing GM is willing to over pay for to acquire. I am certain that Hampus Lindholm will not be going anywhere since he likely has the most production per dollar of cap hit.

I...am your father.

I would like to see how many points these defensemen have using your points system. It would give me a better feel for your situation. At a glance, Brodin/Braun/Tanev seem way overpriced
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

Technically it isn't a point system since it is a simulation league where the ratings are based on the previous two NHL seasons. I try to avoid mentioning this since it leads to fewer responses from others so I just pretend it's a normal league with some weird stats. In the way the league ratings system is set up, Brodin, Braun and Tanev are all top 40 in the league for their defensive ability since they are top 2 on their teams in PK ice time as well as doing very well in blocked shots and takeaways.