Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anthony DeAngelo

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Anthony DeAngelo

He looks like the real deal, but likely won't get an opportunity for some time on that team with them contending. I expect 2-3 years before he see's full time NHL duty there.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Legend

I love DeAngelo as a prospect. With his skill set and possible situation he'll be walking into, he could be fantasy gold. A RHD who can co-anchor the top PP with Hedman should be money in a year or two.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Some good comments.

Keep in mind that not every hyped D man will pan out.
    Back in summer of 2011, everybody was ga-ga about the 11th overall pick in the 2009 entry draft: Ryan Ellis.
    And Ellis went off with the Spitfires putting up 101pts (in 58gp) in 2010-2011.
    Well, it's 2015 and we still don't have a 30pt season out of the 5'-11" Ryan Ellis.

TB has a ton of depth.
    And very likely they won't be able to re-sign all of their skilled players.
    The team will look differently in 2018, say.

I mean... how many of us were lickin' our chops at the prospect of Dougie Hamilton anchoring a lock-talented future Bruins team?!
    Dougie Hamilton, Boston Bruin... nope.
    Talented Boston team... nope.

Anthony Deangelo might become a Mike Green... he might become a Ryan Ellis.
    Ellis just went 288th overall in the WHL.
    Deangelo went 224th overall in the WHL. (I had him on my queue, he went about 15 picks before I took Darnell Nurse.)

Personally, I've been scarred a bit from believing in Stefan Elliott and Ryan Murphy.
    I can't honestly say I've seen Deangelo play enough to peg him well... but I do know that we (as a forums community) have been very hit & miss on young D-prospects over the years.
    From what I've read... the top forward prospects have panned out signifcantly better in fantasy hockey than the top offense D-men prospects.

All that said, I'd personally hedge towards the top 10 drafted forward: Mikko Rantanen or Pavel Zacha.

Dobber Sports Legend

P7

You're certainly right about one thing - it's a lot easier to predict future success among elite forward prospects than it is with D kids. I think there's a track record to prove that. Predicting young D involves a lot of gut instinct IMO. When I look at DeAngelo, I see a kid with elite-level offensive chops. I see a kid who Yzerman drilled into for 4 hours to get a handle on his character. I see a kid who put the OHL through the shredder. I see a kid who has a very unique skill set among all the D on Tampa's roster and in their system. I see a kid who's skill set is tailor made for a high-octane Bolts system. My gut tells me that DeAngelo is a year or 2 away from making a John Klingberg-like splash and has the offensive upside of a Letang, Subban or Shattenkirk... let alone Green (if all goes perfect).

That said, anything can happen. If we're comparing him to Rantanen - a player who I also really like - I guess Rantanen is the "safer" play but there's risk there too. What if Rantanen develops the way Joel Armia has - another lanky, Finn sniper who hasn't yet panned out as planned? In fact, I don't think any of the "top" Finns have made an impact immediately - Granlund, Pulkkinen, Armia, Teravainen, etc.

Outside of the Big 2, and maybe Marner and Strome, there is a decent amount of risk associated with all prospects. Forwards are easier to predict for sure, but I think DeAngelo is the "Marner, Strome or Ehlers of D prospects" right now. I think his upside is higher than Ellis' simply due to the fact that he should be walking into a better situation. We all knew Ellis would be stuck behind Weber, Josi, Jones, etc. I think when DeAngelo makes the show full-time, his only real competition will be Hedman, and the fact that he is a RHD makes him more valuable on Tampa. Ellis is a righty, jammed up behind other righties like Weber and Jones. If there were no Weber or Jones and Ellis was running the Top PP with Josi, I think we could add +10 points to his annual production.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

He is VERY interesting. You've got to want to have him stashed on your roster.

HOWEVER!

He's pretty small for a D-man. Ryan Ellis did similar things in Junior, and has taken his time to adjust to the NHL. He's a first round pick, but he slipped a bit despite 71 points in his draft year. There's usually a reason for this.

HOWEVER!

Karlsson isn't a big guy and was drafted similarly.... Numerous outstanding NHL D-men were not taken at the very top of their draft class. Selecting blueliners is a very tricky business in fantasy. You could make that argument for all the positions though.

One of the elite prospects. The type with some of the boom/bust attributes. Many more positives than negatives. I'm very interested in stashing him, at the right price!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Outside of the Big 2, and maybe Marner and Strome, there is a decent amount of risk associated with all prospects. Forwards are easier to predict for sure, but I think DeAngelo is the "Marner, Strome or Ehlers of D prospects" right now. I think his upside is higher than Ellis' simply due to the fact that he should be walking into a better situation. We all knew Ellis would be stuck behind Weber, Josi, Jones, etc. I think when DeAngelo makes the show full-time, his only real competition will be Hedman, and the fact that he is a RHD makes him more valuable on Tampa. Ellis is a righty, jammed up behind other righties like Weber and Jones. If there were no Weber or Jones and Ellis was running the Top PP with Josi, I think we could add +10 points to his annual production.
    Jones wasn't even drafted when everyone was high on Ellis. And that's really what Pengwin7 was trying to say; you never know what happens in the future. Maybe the Lightning acquire a stud right-handed D-man to run their powerplay. DeAngelo becomes just another Ellis then.

I agree that DeAngelo deserves consideration after the Top-4 guys from 2015 class are taken. But I would probably take a forward like Zacha or Rantanen instead because they're easier to predict and can be traded for a D-man later if needed.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm very high on this kid's skill set. I see elite puck movement and IQ. Toss in very capable skating and shot and I see a potential fantasy shark. I'm concerned it'll be 2017-2018 before we see him be fantasy relevant, but I can't shake the feeling I should grab him at #8 this year and just see what happens. I would like to have a more 'marinated' player (Schultz, Dumba..) But I doubt I can get an elite talent like DeAngelo when I pick again at 25.

Tough business this fantasy is.

Do you all think I should gamble on the elite talent or take the guy who should be on Edmonton's top PP this year (Schultz)?

Dobber Sports Expert

Bobby Orr 2

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Bobby Orr 2
    With or without all the knee injuries? I hope he doesn't have to deal with injuries like Orr did.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think with the young TBay squad he could put up pretty big numbers once he makes NHL likely in 2016-17. He will not have to be THE guy with Hedman there and in a small market will allow for a smooth transition will little pressure too.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Deangelo, Rantanen and Hedman for Karlsson... What side do you want?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Deangelo, Rantanen and Hedman for Karlsson... What side do you want?
    Karlsson.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Karlsson.
    This.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust