Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brandon Marshall to the Jets

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Brandon Marshall to the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Mariota is the better QB.
    Athletic wise no, I think Winston is more dynamic. But I would rather trade down to get Mariota. Mariota will be a better QB because I feel like he has more dedication to the sport and is much more mature (obviously).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Have to figure that someone is trading up for Mariota. Not enough quality QBs in the league for teams to pass up the chance.
    No other team is going to destroy multiple drafts in order to get their mitts on Mariota the way Kelly will IMO. Mariota is PERFECT for Kelly's system and even the Eagles acquiring him for that type of ransom is dangerous. I can't imagine another team doing something this potentially devastating for a QB who is not 100% ideal for their system. It's not like Mariota is Elway or Manning.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

That's your assessment though. Most have Winston as the much better quarterback.
    Most of the popular or mainstream pundits do, yes - exception being Ron Jaworski. Scouts beg to differ.
    @SmittysRant

Athleticism gets you only so far (see: Kaepernick, RG3, EJ Manuel, Cam Newton). At some point you have to learn how to be an NFL QB.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Athleticism gets you only so far (see: Kaepernick, RG3, EJ Manuel, Cam Newton). At some point you have to learn how to be an NFL QB.
    I agree with you, RGII vs Luck is the best example of athleticism vs intelligence.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-nfl-prospect

Good comparison between the two. But 1, I don’t reallllyyy agree with the athleticism section. They but most of it into speed and rushing ability. But good comparison on each’s talent.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    No other team is going to destroy multiple drafts in order to get their mitts on Mariota the way Kelly will IMO. Mariota is PERFECT for Kelly's system and even the Eagles acquiring him for that type of ransom is dangerous. I can't imagine another team doing something this potentially devastating for a QB who is not 100% ideal for their system. It's not like Mariota is Elway or Manning.
    ...and heaven forbid he's more RGIII than any of them. That recent debacle alone should, I would think, serve as a stark reminder to teams not to get too out of sorts and hell bent on mortgaging everything in order to move up and "get your guy."

Given Kelly's connection with Mariota, I could see the Eagles going at him hard. But I'd imagine that other teams with visions of doing the same are more likely to think twice.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Administrator

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know that it would actually cost a huge amount to move up ahead of the Jets to draft Mariota. I mean, you don't even necessarily have to trade up to #2. You could trade to anywhere from #2-5.

According to the chart:

#2 = 2600
    #3 = 2200
    #4 = 1800
    #5 = 1700

And that's in the average draft, which apparently this one is below average, especially at the top.

So could St Louis trade up from #10 (1300) using a couple of mid-round picks? Could Houston trade up from #16 (1000) using a 2nd and a 3rd? I guess that latter option amounts to "blowing up their draft" as well but wouldn't necessarily mean doing multiple drafts.

Of course, the simplest option is the Jets trading up from #6 (1600) to ensure no one jumps them.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Well, I'm not saying the athletic (see: read option) QBs have no place. They do, and they have talent to be sure. The biggest mistake being made (in my opinion) is drafting these types of QBs and expecting them to be something they are not.

In other words, don't draft an RG3 thinking you're going to tun him into a timing-and-rhythm QB with pocket presence. Kaeper really regressed this past year. Dropping his eyes, eject from the pocket, missing open receivers.

A strong running game is important for these types of QBs (more so than your pocket QBs)
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Legend

Of course, the simplest option is the Jets trading up from #6 (1600) to ensure no one jumps them.
    This is a great point actually. If the Jets are so in love with the Eagles offer, perhaps they move the 6th and "something else" to get up to 3rd or 4th, then they trade that pick to the Eagles for the haul. If NY thinks this trade could set their franchise up for a long time, it's in their best interest to hedge their bets and ensure a trade, right?
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Administrator

This is a great point actually. If the Jets are so in love with the Eagles offer, perhaps they move the 6th and "something else" to get up to 3rd or 4th, then they trade that pick to the Eagles for the haul. If NY thinks this trade could set their franchise up for a long time, it's in their best interest to hedge their bets and ensure a trade, right?
    I don't think you'd see the Jets trade up to trade down. If they do so it would be to take Mariota. For a trade up to trade down to actually work the team trading with the Jets could just take the offer the Jets would take to move back down instead.

Dobber Sports Legend

I don't think you'd see the Jets trade up to trade down. If they do so it would be to take Mariota. For a trade up to trade down to actually work the team trading with the Jets could just take the offer the Jets would take to move back down instead.
    Well, the Jets draft 6th, right? Here's what I'm thinking...

1. Say the Jets are hoping that Mariota falls to them so they could cash him in for the ransom Kelly is offering (and by all indications, including a report with a source last night, they are 100% trading the pick to Philly IF Mariota drops to 6th).

2. Now, let's say the Red Skins at 5 are entertaining offers to deal the 5th pick to another team (NOT the Eagles, if Mariota looks like he's dropping to 5).

3. That means, both the Jets and the Eagles will lose out on the deal they want to make. The Skins will deal the pick to screw a division rival (Eagles) and the Jets miss out on multiple 1sts, a 2nd and Foles in the process.

4. In this case, do the Jets use their 6th and "sweetener" to move up 2 spots to 4 just to GUARANTEE their trade with Philly?

5. If so, I could see Oakland making the move IF they feel the guy they want at 4 will still be there at 6, considering Philly would be burning #4 on Mariota. Then they only need to worry about the Skins taking their guy at 5. But, I couldn't see Oakland just "taking the Philly deal" because 20th is a long way off from the small 2 place drop from 4th to 6th. And, the Raiders don't need Foles (but by accounts, the Jets like him a lot).

If the Eagles and/or Jets get wind that a team like Washington at 5 could drop a nuke on their "deal," it makes sense for the Jets to try and leapfrog them to keep the trade in tact. It might cost them a 3rd and 4th round pick to do so, but then Kelly could split the damage and up his offer to include a 3rd next year to help off-set the Jets "sweetener."

Then, at the end of the day, the Eagles get their guy. The Jets get their massive package of Foles and picks. The Raiders drop 2 spots and still get the guy (or 1 of the 2 guys they are targeting) while adding another 3rd and 4th rounder in the process.

I could see something like this happening, if Mariota makes it past the Top-3.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Administrator

Well, the Jets draft 6th, right? Here's what I'm thinking...

1. Say the Jets are hoping that Mariota falls to them so they could cash him in for the ransom Kelly is offering (and by all indications, including a report with a source last night, they are 100% trading the pick to Philly IF Mariota drops to 6th).

2. Now, let's say the Red Skins at 5 are entertaining offers to deal the 5th pick to another team (NOT the Eagles, if Mariota looks like he's dropping to 5).

3. That means, both the Jets and the Eagles will lose out on the deal they want to make. The Skins will deal the pick to screw a division rival (Eagles) and the Jets miss out on multiple 1sts, a 2nd and Foles in the process.

4. In this case, do the Jets use their 6th and "sweetener" to move up 2 spots to 4 just to GUARANTEE their trade with Philly?

5. If so, I could see Oakland making the move IF they feel the guy they want at 4 will still be there at 6, considering Philly would be burning #4 on Mariota. Then they only need to worry about the Skins taking their guy at 5. But, I couldn't see Oakland just "taking the Philly deal" because 20th is a long way off from the small 2 place drop from 4th to 6th. And, the Raiders don't need Foles (but by accounts, the Jets like him a lot).

If the Eagles and/or Jets get wind that a team like Washington at 5 could drop a nuke on their "deal," it makes sense for the Jets to try and leapfrog them to keep the trade in tact. It might cost them a 3rd and 4th round pick to do so, but then Kelly could split the damage and up his offer to include a 3rd next year to help off-set the Jets "sweetener."

Then, at the end of the day, the Eagles get their guy. The Jets get their massive package of Foles and picks. The Raiders drop 2 spots and still get the guy (or 1 of the 2 guys they are targeting) while adding another 3rd and 4th rounder in the process.

I could see something like this happening, if Mariota makes it past the Top-3.
    I guess I just don't see why the Jets would bother going for a package of Foles + picks if they find themselves in a spot for Mariota.

Dobber Sports Legend

I guess I just don't see why the Jets would bother going for a package of Foles + picks if they find themselves in a spot for Mariota.
    Really? According to multiple reports, the Jets are not "fully sold" on Mariota. And, look at the track record of teams trading a top pick for a mega-deal of 1st round picks plus other assets - the team trading the pick always seems to make out big-time. Hershel Walker, Ricky Williams, Mark Sanchez and RGIII all come to mind - the teams that traded them made out great. But how about the teams who traded FOR them? If the Jets could get a QB they "like as much" as Mariota in Foles, PLUS add two more 1sts and a 2nd, why wouldn't they make that trade? A trade like this could set them up for many years.

1. 100% Sure Jets Would Trade Mariota to Eagles

2. Jets and Eagles Set to Trade

3. If Mariota is at 6, Jets will Trade

8-GM / WK-H2H

Personally I do not think the Jets answer is Foles. I am not that impressed by him. That said, if they were to get all those first rounders I wouldn't blame them for making the deal. Next year's draft class is presumably a more QB rich draft, so they could easily find their franchise QB in 2016, in addition to having all those bonus picks from which to wheel-and-deal.
    @SmittysRant