Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Who to Draft?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Who to Draft?

i would suggest Kronwall, he has 4 years remaining on his 3 mil contract. He had monster playoffs and I think will break out this season. He had some injury problems, but that were freak injurys. And Lids has only two years contract...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Yeah I like Kronwall but not as much as Coburn. I actually like Corvo alot as well for the price but I doubt he will be around when ESY gets to picking his 3rd D guys.

I too like Cheechoo at the price ESY. I also really like his perspective linemate Clowe for later on.

Sure something about the league set up after a 100 players gone Hossa still sits undrafted. Pronger, Neids are the fat contract D guys.

There is lots of big time talent out there yet.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I guess I keep bumping this thread to the fore but I think there is a tremendous study in drafting going on here.

Sure like the team you are putting together so far ESY. I am very impressed with your diligence in looking at balance, value and production. Don\'t take your foot off the pedal - this league is going to be won this year or next by the guy who wins the back end of the draft.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I\'m curious about who your pool service provider is ESY. Wonder about the possibility of position eligibility changes - in particular I am looking at O\'Sullivan who is certainly going to play primarily LW this season.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Who to Draft?

Is it at this point where you decide whether you have a shot at winning this year...and then draft accordingly?
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I wonder about that too Brian - I think it is still too early - I think Round 10 will be a really good spot to assess it - the next three picks are pretty critical. I think if ESY can grab 3 high value low cost guys in the next 3 picks - he is going to be sitting pretty for the rest of the draft. I think he needs a RW, LW and goalie at around 7 mill total. Cheechoo, Wolski and Thomas/Garon/Ersberg would be pretty sweet.

Guys are staying away from the big contracts of B.Richards, Kovalev, Hossa, Kariya, Proinger and Neids. Who knows what might come with really prudent spending? Some guys are grabbing cheap contracts but perhaps not great value and some guys are spending large early - think another 50 players down the track will be very enlightening.

If things work I think ESY is looking at being competitive this year and well beyond this year - nice core so far.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

ESY is it possible to trade players during the draft?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Who to Draft?

Hey guys, sorry for not posting yesterday but I got a migraine that just knocked me out for the day. As to Shoeless\' questions:

Yahoo will be the pool provider and yes we can trade players and picks during the draft. The only rule is that the total of players and picks has to be even on both sides so that each team ends up with a 24 man roster.

I agree with Shoeless in that a couple of wingers and a goalie will definitely be on my radar. I have already mentioned Cheechoo and I completely agree that Wolski would be a great pick. I am very high on him and his contract isn\'t bad either. I don\'t think that he will fall given the continuing run on forwards but one can hope. Garon is a goalie that I have had my eye on as well.

The next few rounds will be very interesting and will probably make or break the teams. It is also interesting that Hossa still hasn\'t gone yet. I know that the rules mean picking him is a huge risk but I figured that somebody would go into a win now mode and take him for this year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Oh man - migraines suck - I had a tiny bout of them many years ago for some strange reason and I wish them on no one.

That\'s interesting that you can trade players - I don\'t see anything yet but it\'s possible if you can go low on contracts while still getting good bodies that later in the draft when someone is starting to hurt for dollars that there may be a deal or two to be had.

Patrick O\'Sullivan intrigues the heck out of me in this draft - there is such a high probability that he will get LW eligibility and I can\'t imagine him not being signed before July 1 next year - risk yeah but just might be a steal in this draft.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I have been picking through players of interest and come up with names like Vrbate, Grabovski, Clowe, Satan, Svatos, Stafford as guys who might be worth a look at.

Another backmarker D guy I like is Hutchinson.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Who to Draft?

I hope you aren\'t one of those GM\'s who slows down the whole draft due to posting here on dobber asking for advice on who to pick instead of running your own team.

I believe I have a few of those in one of my leagues...

Waits eagerly for Shoeless to come flame me
    Hellfish Hockey League
    www.Hellfishhockey.ca

In The Crease
    www.inthecrease.ca

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

If you have been following the draft closely I think you will find his picks to be pretty quick - ESY seems to work out front of his picks by at least a couple of rounds. When you have a couple of days between picks you have lots of time to chat about players still left, the draft trend etc. Just smart business, Narayan.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Who to Draft?

I think ESY makes his picks pretty quick...
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Narayan wrote:
    I hope you aren\'t one of those GM\'s who slows down the whole draft due to posting here on dobber asking for advice on who to pick instead of running your own team.

I believe I have a few of those in one of my leagues...

Waits eagerly for Shoeless to come flame me
    Why would I flame you?

I think your point is valid - anyone relying on someone in these forums to direct or affirm every pick they make and slowing down drafts probably isn\'t anyone\'s favorite character.

Anyone following this thread will know that ESY makes his own picks after doing alot of research himself and sure perhaps casting around for opinions and occassionally reacting to a suggestion about someone he hadn\'t considered. He certainly doesn\'t keep his draft waiting.

I have learned alot from following ESY\'s draft and I am thankful he has chosen to share it here. It\'s funny because it has kinda turned into a spectator sport for me and I find myself rooting for him as the picks fall ahead of him.

If you want to take a shot at him, that\'s your business. I think folks on this site are smart enough to put your post in the right perspective.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Who to Draft?

Wow, much to my surprise it is my turn. It just became my turn though, and with a 12 hour time limit that I have never even come close to violating, I figure that I have some time to seek some last minute opinions. I feel like I am set on D for a while and I don\'t think that I want a goalie in this round either.

Looking at forward, also to my surprise, players like Cheechoo and Wolski are still available. I am a big fan of Wolski so he is definitely near the top of my short list. Stafford is another solid winger still available. What say you Dobber fans?