Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to Draft?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

ESY - do you think there are other guys in your league on Dobber?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Who to Draft?

Shoeless wrote:
    No, I don\'t think so. I mean, it is possible but I doubt it as I don\'t recognize any user names and they tend to stick to HF and such.

The spreadsheet hasn\'t been updated yet (could be by the time you read this) but it is almost my turn so here is what has taken place:

4. DarkestOne2112 - Justin Williams
    5. Warrior Fenix - Nikolai Zherdev
    6. Centurion - Cam Ward
    7. Braby - Daniel Carcillo
    8. TurismoFan1986 - Cristobal Huet
    9. DanHarrison680 - Zdeno Chara
    10. carnge360 - Patrick Elias

Again, I am most likely looking towards G and/or D with my next couple of picks. I would be willing to listen to any forwards out there that have fallen too far though or are good picks ala the Stamkos pick.

As for G, I was really looking at Ward and with him gone I am not too enamored with anyone left. I am leaning towards waiting and picking up a solid back-up and a great prospect later in the draft.

With D, I am a bit surprised that Kaberle is still available. His +/- will be brutal but he is young, on a great contract, and will put up a ton of points. Outside of him, there are a ton of tier 2 guys left (Burns, Weber, Kronwall, etc...) that I could choose from.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Yeah Ward was the guy without a doubt - contract/performance. I looked long and deep into goalies yesterday (it\'s Wednesday in Korea now) - I think you have time on them - Luongo gives you that luxury(more on the later)- load up on D for these next two picks for sure - Kaberle then Burns and/or Coburn if you can get them - Corvo would be #4 I think, then Liles - there are stil lots of high profile D guys left but pricey and in most cases not very young and the spread on points isn\'t that great to the guys I am suggesting. After these guys there are lots of pretty nice 4-6th type D guys that will be good buys both for this season and long term.

Going in to the back end of the draft with some extra cash will afford you the opportunity to get some good buys on forwards, I think.

You have at least a couple of other guys in your league drafting very well - beat them on the back nine!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

ESY16 wrote:
    Shoeless wrote:
    I am leaning towards waiting and picking up a solid back-up and a great prospect later in the draft.
    You and I think so much alike - I had thought yesteday if Ward was available then take him otherwise wait - you will have to time those goalie selections - two names I like are Thomas and Ersberg in later rounds and of course Bernier as the prospect.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Who to Draft?

You\'re looking for guys that can do their salary x 2. So $3.5M x 2 = 70 pts. First contracts can turn out amazing ratios. Malkin, Kane, Stastny, Kopitar... $75M will disappear in a hurry. We played on $75M last year. This year it\'s $85.05 (1.5 times the NHL number) Stay away from defencemen. The good ones bounce all over our league. I see Eric Johnson went late. Another way of looking at it is you want to spend $12-$14M per position. You need a bit of space for some prospects. By the time you have 4 guys at each spot... wait til later in the draft, some guys will be in bad shape. I\'d draft centres as late as I could, while still getting some good pop. Your Jokinen & Staal fit the good pop description. You\'ll be wanting lots of players in the $2M-$3M category. I\'d stack up some tenders. Guys will eventually be forced to come knocking. Lots of good ones in the $3M to $4M window.

Some other bargains include: Osgood, D. Sedin, Garon, Higgins, Hudler, D. Brown, Recchi, Legace, M Smith, Steen, Mueller, Pominville, Lupul, Toews, Holmstrom, Sykora, Brunette, T Thomas, Plekanec, Antropov, Backstrom (Was), Bertuzzi, Samsonov, Nagy, Coburn, Boyes, Ward, Parise, Gagner.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I\'m curious if we are looking at the same league conditions JHM. With a bench of only 4, how many prospects do you think he should carry and still have a chance of competing? Makes it tough to stack goalies and get some prospects with that bench and know you won\'t get any production from them this year.

Interesting that you consider EJ getting drafted 82nd overall (9th D man in the draft) as being quite late? What\'s your read on this guy?

How many on your bench in your league? And how many teams in your league?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I think if you do a points gap analysis for forwards and D guys - you can\'t afford to stay away from D guys - without 45-50 pointers on D you are doomed - later round forwards with less point gap from the next level up are much more plentiful than D guys - the fat contract D guys in the 50+ range I would certainly stay away from.

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Who to Draft?

ESY16 wrote:
    Again, I am most likely looking towards G and/or D with my next couple of picks. I would be willing to listen to any forwards out there that have fallen too far though or are good picks ala the Stamkos pick.
    How about taking Kyle Turris with your next pick? That way you\'d have both Turris and Stamkos - I\'m sure anyone would love to own that duo. He\'s also very affordable salary wise - as rookie\'s usually are. And he\'ll a have huge trade value if you at some point choose to move him.

But if you\'re about take another D then I\'d lean towards Burns and Weber. Both would be great choices, but I think you could grap someone like Coburn on the eight round if you choose to take Turris now.

As for the goalies DiPietro would be my #1 pick as I allready suggested earlier in this thread.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

I think both Weber and Dipietro are too expensive for what they will produce at their positions for this league. I think ESY will be very lucky if Coburn comes to him in the 8th round - his production to price ratio is very good. Sweet ass contract with 45 points this year with upside. Someone will take him. I really like Burns but he is twice the price of Coburn for the next 2 years. Corvo is going to be pretty deadly this year and his existing contract is sure the right price but it is only a year now.

ESY is quietly building a very competitive team for this year that is young - at some point soon it may become apparent that someone is going to dump the big cash on a core of 15 players to win this year and at that point I think it would be folly to chase him - there are some real solid deals for goalies and D guys for this year and beyond that aren\'t going to cost him the farm.

Turris is interesting because of his excellent contract but his value this year is a little low and ESY already has 2 great centres. Certainly food for thought though.

Some guys to watch on D for later in the draft, ESY - Enstrom, Oduya, Harrold (dark horse), Hillen. Price and production are right for your back marker D guys.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Who to Draft?

Sorry, my oversite, no stocking goalies. No stocking up. You\'re set to 24 players and specific positions. I\'m playing with $85.05 cap. You can have as many players as you want. Minimum cap hit is $0.25, so a few of the rosters are large. My apologies.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Yeah this puppy is an interesting one - so glad ESY invited us along for the ride.

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Who to Draft?

Shoeless wrote:
    I think both Weber and Dipietro are too expensive for what they will produce at their positions for this league.
    Weber has fairly similar contract to Kaberle. Weber is younger, scores more goals, shoots more and collects more PIMs. Weber also has a huge upside and now that Zidlicky is gone he will be running Nashville\'s PP. He will not be that far behind Kaberle in points and in a few seasons he will outscore Kaberle. I\'d much rather take Weber than Kaberle with all things considered. Though if Burns is also available I\'d take him before Weber.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Who to Draft?

Wow, the last few picks have not been kind to me at all. Burns is the must disappointing person to have been taken but Weber, DiPietro, and Backstrom (MIN) were also at least on my radar.

Goalies seem to be going faster but there really isn\'t a goalie left that I like at this pick and I am thinking about just bargain hunting later for guys like Conklin, Bernier, and Harding.

On D, Coburn, Kronwall, Corvo, and Liles are all still available. People like Pronger are also still available but a bit too expensive for my taste. Coburn is probably my best option here though he will be my 3rd player to have a contract expiring in 2 years - joining Luongo and Kane.

At forward, Turris is certainly an interesting option but I do have 2 centers already. There are a few interesting wingers available. Lupul and Bouchard (C/RW) are solid options though on the expensive side. Cheechoo is someone I have my eye on. He is only making $3 million and can put up some great numbers.

At this point I think that Coburn is the best bet though I would love input. (Karma still coming to everyone). Then I will probably go with a goalie and forward with my next 2 picks...depending on who is available.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Well it\'s moot now Burns, Weber and Dipietro got take - I really like Coburn now and a goalie in a couple of rounds the way things are shaping up. Be interestng to see how ESY views things.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Who to Draft?

Oops missed your post ESY - I totally support the Coburn pick for a few reasons - he is a horse on the rise and his contract is money in the bank for later in the draft - you are anchored on D then and can leave them alone for quite a while and cherry pick some backmarkers D guys later.

Your plan sounds good, I might even look to goalie in round 10 depending on how things go here - Bouchard\'s dual eligibility would be very nice in your league, but as you suggest a little contract rich. I am liking Rinne or Harding in goal by the way, as a solid backup/prospect types. They could challenge this year if Ellis or Backstrom stumble.

I wouldn\'t be too disappointed in missing Burns - that contract money will nice to have when you start looking at more forwards.

By the way - there are several nice looking PIM/points guys out there pretty cheap for much later in the draft.