Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official Hockey Card Collector Thread

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Hockey Cards

As a 9-year-old, I destroyed a Lemieux rookie card playing card games. I feel shame.

Dobber Sports Ace

"As a 9-year-old, I destroyed a Lemieux rookie card playing card games. I feel shame."

That's okay......I feel more shame having long ago planned my retirement on Felix Potvin rookie cards.

Dobber Sports Genius

don't be hatin' on the Cat! I loved that dude. I still have a framed poster of him not hanging in my garage lol.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Guru

I still have most of my cards from 1990 to 1995ish. I remember in 1990, card collecting was so popular, that my school started having it as an activity at lunch time once a week.

Those old cards served a purpose though. I wrote to many hockey players in the early 1990s, sending a card and asking for an autograph. Got a lot of good players back then too, before autograph collecting became really big and most don't have time to sign anymore.

I still buy an odd box from time to time, but it will be one of the cheaper boxes. It just brings back a lot of memories. But what gets me is the prices. It used to be $1 would get you a pack of 15. But now, it can be $10 a pack, and you get five cards. Even if it cost $2, it would take forever to collect a set if you're only getting five cards a pack.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

I never really got into card collecting....I'd always kinda try, and I'd buy packs here and there (well, my parents would) but I just never got into it enough. It was fun opening the packs and seeing who you got. If I put half as much effort into hockey cards as I did Pokemon, I'd have a hell of a collection.

My old teacher got me a Dominik Hasek rookie card for my birthday one year. Over the years I've lost it, so there's that

I still have my full set of Winterhawks cards that Taco Bell's in Portland gave out in kids meals during their Memorial Cup year haha. Hossa, Morrow, Ference, Labarbera, and a bunch of other random 17 year old kids that no one has heard of since.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Star

I was pretty into it until about 07/08. I have what must be one of the largest collections in the world of a certain Slovak Sniper form the 90's...

In the end I got frustrated by the multiplying number of new sets each year, the gimmicks, and the saturation of the market. Believe it or not, I used to make a bit of money buying collections on ebay, breaking them up and selling them individually. The issues mentioned above made it hard to continue this though - too many options for people. If you want a Crosby 'Rookie Card' you have a ton of options to suit different price points, lessening the demand on any given card. To me that cheapens the whole thing. A Gretzky rookie is awesome because there is only 1 versions (well, 2 technically - but still not 50)...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I was into card collecting in the early 90s and then got back into collecting the Upper Deck Young Guns after the first lock out. So I have all the rookies from 05-06 to 08-09 but then it just got really hard to invest the time and $$$ collecting them all. Unfortunately the only way to really get the full set it to buy them individually off of e-bay or the complete set which kinda takes the fun out of the process.

Nothing beats that feeling of ripping open a pack of cards!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey there, collected a crap load when I was younger, and yes anything pretty much in the 90's is worth almost nothing. But since I've gotten older and have gotten more secure financially, have gotten back into it a bit. Just mainly rookies, used to buy boxes from my local card store, but was not cost productive as you would get 1 or 2 rookies in a box. So have taken to EBay, to get what I like. Collect mostly local Barrie Colts rookies as I have had a chance to watch these guys grow.
    But yes, it is a big buisness now, and over produced and supersaturated with garbage cards. If your in it for money, not my style. And yes kids can still collect as there are some inexpensive products, but your not getting a 50$ MacKinnon rookie card in those sets, more like 5$. But like I tell the wife, I'm not out spending my money on drugs or whores? So where's the harm. LOL.
    Good Luck
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Does anyone remember the Esso sticker books that had a double page for each NHL team and you collected the stickers for each team's players?
    I actually have a ESSO sticker book filled with the stickers/cards.. I think I taped them all in there, so the book is worth nothing, but I still love going through it!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm going to have a look at mine. It's been a while.
    The NHL to NHLPA should do something like that again for the kids and keep it affordable. After all they are the future ticket and merchandise buyers.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Official Hockey Card Collector Thread

I did a quick search before I started this thread and couldn't find one. I myself am a collector and was wondering who else has the itch. I thought it would be cool to have a thread for us "kids at heart" to discuss our collections. Maybe even do a little trading.....
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Administrator

Default Re: Official Hockey Card Collector Thread

I have two big boxes in my crawl space with probably ~10,000 cards there. I have not done any serious collecting since the late 90s though, only getting an occasional box of the newer stuff. None of it is sorted unfortunately so I'll have to do that one day.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've also got about 10,000+ cards at home.
    Probably about 7000 baseball, 2000 hockey, + scattering of basketball/football.

From 1985-1991 (when grade school finished), collecting cards was my LIFE!
    I probably peaked around 1990 when I would blow my entire lawnmowing/snow shovelling income on cards.

I remember shelling out for the flavour-of-the-week player, snatching up 5-10 of his rookie cards.
    Unfortunately this included loading up on Nelson Emerson, Gilbert Dionne, and Kevin Stevens.
    Yeesh.

A really good top 10 article on rookie cards of the 1980s:
    http://www.cardboardconnection.com/t...s-of-the-1980s

I remember when the "Brett Hull 87-88" O-Pee-Chee was supposed to be "valued" at $300.
    I had six or seven of them.

Somewhere in the early 90s it all came crashing down when the marketplace realized how high we were valuing 2"x3" pieces of cardboard with photos.

To this day though, I still love opening a pack.
    My wife gets me a few packs for my birthday and for Christmas.

Two Christmases ago, I actually opened a pack of Upper Deck and got a Crosby & a Karlsson in the same pack.
    I was giddy.
    I actually said to my wife "It does NOT get better than this pack!"
    She said I was like 8 years old all over again.

When I first started collecting baseball cards in the 80s, the top card was "the Mattingly".
    I wish I had gotten into hockey cards early, but I only moved to Canada in 1985 and I didn't get really into hockey until the 1988 or so (the year with the thumb-tack on the card).

Now... all cards have some PS grade rating I believe.
    Like 10 being the top grade.
    Even packs of shit cards cost too much for a kid to "be a collector".

It's too bad.
    I had a lot of enjoyment in my youth from collecting, sorting, even memorizing stats.

And I miss when the companies used to just take the liberty to change the colours on a players jersey when he switched team.
    What a riot!
    I mean... really:

Dobber Sports Titan

As per collectables, I like getting the 1st overalls draft day signed puck. I have Ekblad, Mac, Drouin, Barkov, Reilly, Tavares, Kadri, Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Yak, Hall, Seguin, P.Kane, JvR and Stamkos. I refused to get the RNH because I don’t like him at all lol. Unless I plan on selling them in a display case I won’t get RNH.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There is a thread (Hockey Cards) started back in June I believe.

I have a collection as well, as I started back in the early 80's. I did some pretty crazy stuff with some of the cards, like tape down one side and stick in a book according to lines and teams for example, or even stick in my spokes on my bike, cause it sounded cool! I was a bit fortunate that my dad made me a box to store them (ones I didn't tape) and was able to have some cool cards in reasonable condition. My favourite cards are a 1958-59 Henri Richard, 1958-59 In Action Bob Pulford and a 1958-59 CFL player card (can't remember player) that my dad had found of his, when he was a kid. The three cards are in pretty good condition considering the age of them.

Anyway in the 90's when O-Pee-Chee Premier, Score Upper Deck and Pro-Set flooded the market, I started buying by the box load (had a job and spent all $ on them). I would open a few to complete a set and leave the rest unopened. Around 93-94 I gave up as there was just to many companies and to many different sets to try and complete. It's to bad, like Pengwin7 said, as kids can't afford to try and complete one set, let alone 5 or 6. I still buy the odd pack and a box or two at christmas/bdays for my two boys just for nostalgia, thinking it will be cool for them.

My wife asks me pretty much every time she sees the boxes in the storage room, what I am going to do with all the unopened boxes. I tell her that it will be up to the boys what they want to do with them!! haha!
    18T-Roto(13/yr)
    Sal:$1000
    PPG,PPA,G,A,PTS,SOG,PIM,+/-,GAA,S,S%,W
    F-Keller(42)Larkin(70)Zibanejed(102)Dvorak(20)RNH(11 4)Zacha(20)Seguin(20)PKane(220)Trochek(40)
    D-Theodore(20)TSmith(20)Hronek(38)Giordano(82)Lundkv ist(1)
    G-Shesterkin(20)
    R-MAF(20)Meier(29)Backstrom(1)Krebs(1)Radulov(75)Per unovich(1)
    16T-H2H(16/yr)
    Sal:$300
    A5 G5 DG5 GWG10 PIM1 PPP5 SHOG5 SOG1
    GA-5 L-7 S1 W10
    C-Barkov(65)Kuznetsov(15)Petterssen(8)
    LW-Ehlers(27)Panarin(27)Raymond(1)
    RW-Konecny(9)Hoffman(14)Kempe(1)
    D-Werenski(17)Klinger(46)Girard(8)TSmith(1)Yandle(22 )
    G-Saros(6)
    R-Turcotte(1)Holtz(1)Bean(1)Norris(5)Comtois(5)Roman ov(5)Addison(1)WEklund(1)