Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oilers offer to Penner

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re:Oilers offer to Penner

one more possible implication of the 4.3M offer to the 29 goal, 45 points, -2 in 82 games Penner: it now becomes a comparable in the arbitration cases of Ryder (30 goals, 52 points, 82 games, -25), Cammalleri (34 goals, 80 points, 81 games, +5), and perhaps Roy (21 goals, 63 points, 75 games, +37), as well as the negotiation leverage of Parise (31 goals, 62 points, 82 games, -3) and perhaps Weiss (20 goals, 48 points, 74 games, -1). If Parise is a 4.3M player, Ryder is worth at least 4M, Parise a 4.3-4.5M player, and Cammalleri a 4.5-5M player. Ouch.

The Cammalleri case is the most significant, as LA are just less than 4.5M under the cap, and still also short of a proper checking line center. If Cammalleri gets more than 4M, they\'ll be in the summer exemption, and will have to ditch salary (likely Tverdovsky\'s 2.5M), or give up.

Dean Lombardi and Bob Gainey won\'t be sending Lowe any Christas cards this year either ...
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I agree with doulos and honduranhockey, this makes things exciting. I could careless if GM\'s were friends or what have you. I want people to get mad at each other and call each other names to the camera. Build up a rivalry here. I agree that the Oilers should maybe have gone after Parise or Cammalerri but Penner will do. I think the reason they went after Penner was because the Ducks were so close to the max cap. It really makes Neids make a decision now. Maybe Lowe just wanted to see if Neids was actually retiring.

And for somebody else\'s comment about Joseph signing in Anahiem for a chance at the cup, I think with Selanne and Neids retiring there will be no chance of a repeat. You can\'t take two of your best players off your team and still expect to win the cup. Don\'t get me wrong they still have a great team but I think moves like these open the doors for the Detroit\'s and SanJose\'s.. Don\'t care about Bertuzzi, now the other teams shut-down lines can focus in on Getzlaf\'s line. Schneider is all offence, great shot from the D, but isn\'t the player Neids is. I hope Neids comes back and Penner gets first line duty with the Oil. Penner will love the bars in Oil country, he will be juiced every night..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I also agree with the posters above who like how this makes things exciting.

The interesting thing is that in the NBA, this happens all the time. Most GMs in the NBA consider this a normal tactic. Because it happens to little in the NHL, everyone makes a big deal about it.

The thing I love the most about this is how it has tremendous cap implications. Not only does it screw Anaheim, but it screws over the rest of the league.

Post edited by: narduch, at: 2007/07/27 14:00

Dobber Sports Sophomore

narduch wrote:
    The thing I love the most about this is how it has tremendous cap implications. Not only does it screw Anaheim, but it screws over the rest of the league.
    Burkie\'s in trouble next year no doubt..not just because of the Penner sheet, but the Roy and Vanek signings. Luckily Sid puts a bit of a cap on it in negotiations for the next couple of years no matter what Getzlaf and Perry do.

Burkie should seriously consider taking the picks..he\'ll look like a super genius (wile e coyote style) if:

a) Bobby Ryan can impress in camp
    b) Tavares manages to enter the \'08 draft
    c) Penner pulls a Lupul in Edm.
    d) Bert can be even half of what he was on the WCE line in Van.

Plus since the cap seems so dependent on the Canadian dollar right now, the cap isn\'t likely to jump too much higher next year unless more teams start selling out on a regular basis.

Add in the fact that the farm cupboard is relatively bare and it might be time for burkie to let Penner go without a fight ( a few nice acidic quips for the papers will be enough).

He can get his revenge if Penner does pull a lupul in Edm and Lowes\' head ends up on a spike.
    12 team Yahoo Pts league
    G(2),A(1.25),PPP(0.5),PIM (0.25),+-(0.5),SHP(1),GWG(0.5)
    W(3),GA(-0.4),SV(0.05),SHO(5)

C- Malkin, Tavares, Datsyuk
    RW - J. Carter, Semin, Lupul, Downie
    LW - J. Neal, Elias, R. Clowe
    D - Burns, Enstrom, Hamonic, Pronger
    G - Crawford, Halak

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How would we compare Penner to Hartnell, who was - prior to the trade/signing by the Flyers - the powerforward that Edmonton was apparentlly targeting before his trade?

L - Saad, Skinner^, Rakell / Kilorn*
    C - Crosby#, Scheifele, Matthews^ / T.Johnson*
    R - Laine^, Arvidsson, Foligno* / Sheary
    D - Subban#, Letang, Pietrangelo / C.Miller*
    D - Gardiner*, Myers*, Vlasic* / Benning*
    G - Bobrovsky / Elliott*
    TGs - Subban, Myers
    IR - none
    (# FPs, * RFAs, ^Prospect)

P4 -
    P3 - L Skinner^, C Matthews^, R Laine^
    P2 - L Meier, C Jost, R Tippett, G Korpisalo