Thread: Comparing BU’s Jack Eichel to Other College Hockey Greats

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Comparing BU’s Jack Eichel to Other College Hockey Greats

Comparing BU’s Jack Eichel to Other College Hockey Greats
    RedditGoogle

If you have been watching team USA play in the World Junior Hockey Championship, or if you’ve been following Boston University in college hockey. You’ve been exposed to the Jack Eichel phenomena.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Comparing BU’s Jack Eichel to Other College Hockey Greats

I don't think he's a one year wonder but I do agree that he needs at least another year of playing in the minors/US College system before making the jump.

I take the WJC tourney with a grain of salt. It's a small sample on a big stage that some people read too much into.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't think he's a one year wonder but I do agree that he needs at least another year of playing in the minors/US College system before making the jump...
    College Hockey would benefit from that.

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't think he's a one year wonder but I do agree that he needs at least another year of playing in the minors/US College system before making the jump.

I take the WJC tourney with a grain of salt. It's a small sample on a big stage that some people read too much into.
    Really? I think he could step right into the NHL and find his niche. Now, would another year benefit him? Probably, what player doesn't it benefit? But I think he is NHL ready..
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Administrator

90% chance Eichel is playing for whatever team drafts him next year and I totally think he's ready. One of the biggest concerns with players jumping to the league at 18 is whether or not they have the physical strength to hold up. I have zero concerns with this man-child. He's going to have some struggles adapting to the speed of the NHL game like every 18-year-old but you simply cannot be fully prepared for the speed until you've played at it. Only way for him to really get better is to make the leap. He's dominating college enough that it's time. Also, look for Eichel to get a crack at the World Championships this spring, which will help his advancement. I'm all in on Eichel. Fantastic player.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    Really? I think he could step right into the NHL and find his niche. Now, would another year benefit him? Probably, what player doesn't it benefit? But I think he is NHL ready..
    You could very well be right, but as a freshman in college, and getting in there early as it is, I really think another year would really help him.

As MD26 says, a lot of it comes to physical stature but to me, a lot of it comes from these kids understanding how to play defence at the pro level, as well as being able to score, and that's normally the biggest hurdle these kids will face, especially coming out of College where they don't play no where near the amount of games that kids play in the CHL. Most of these US College kids need to play a couple of seasons in college. Even Jonathan Toews, who was the 3rd overall pick and probably as ready as any kid drafted coming out of college was, played two seasons in UND before making the jump.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

You could very well be right, but as a freshman in college, and getting in there early as it is, I really think another year would really help him.

As MD26 says, a lot of it comes to physical stature but to me, a lot of it comes from these kids understanding how to play defence at the pro level, as well as being able to score, and that's normally the biggest hurdle these kids will face, especially coming out of College where they don't play no where near the amount of games that kids play in the CHL. Most of these US College kids need to play a couple of seasons in college. Even Jonathan Toews, who was the 3rd overall pick and probably as ready as any kid drafted coming out of college was, played two seasons in UND before making the jump.
    I don't see him getting in early as a big reason to go back, he's a '96 and there's lots of other guys born in '96 playing NCAA. However, I have no issues with him spending another year in college. I'd rather see a guy spend an extra year than get rushed.

Physically I think he's ready, he looks like a man child. I'm not expecting him to step in and light it up, but I do suspect he can take a regular shift and play a role for whatever team drafts him.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky