Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ethics in trading with a weak GM?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Ethics in trading with a weak GM?

Since we got so many people to this thread, I thought maybe you could all settle another debate between myself and "Mr Guru"

Whos winning this year!

Points only

My team (which was in 9th and 11th the last 2 years and is way ahead of my scheduled rebuild)

Getzlaf
    Voracek
    Tarasenko
    Kadri
    JVR
    Nyquist
    Hudler
    Palat
    Kunitz
    Boedker
    Simmonds
    Marleau

Vatanen
    Brodie
    Barrie
    Franson
    Josi
    Faulk

Rinne
    Halak

VS Guru (defending champ)

Crosby
    Backstrom
    Sedin
    Sedin
    Parise
    Okposo
    Hornqvist
    Bozak
    Datsyuk
    Thornton
    Pavelski
    Sharp

B.Campbell
    Chara
    Karlsson
    Goligoski
    Streit
    Zidlicky

Lehtonen
    Rask

Obviously, his forwards are a lot stronger
    But does my team overall have enough to hold him off and finish maybe the greatest rebuild ever??
    Im currently 15 points ahead of him in first place

Goalie points are 2 for a win and an extra 3 for a shutout

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Bookoz View Post
    Since we got so many people to this thread, I thought maybe you could all settle another debate between myself and "Mr Guru"

Whos winning this year!
    This would be better in a new thread.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    This would be better in a new thread.
    Ya, probably

Ill copy and paste

Dobber Sports Prodigy

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...40#post1401540

Dont know if thats the correct way to link to a thread, but thats the link
    in the general hockey chat section

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I think any league is only as strong as it's weakest GM and although making trades with him and making him learn the hard way is what you guys prefer, I would prefer teaching him how to value a player and showing him the direction his team should go in over raping him in trades and making him learn the hard way.

Maybe it's the commish in me?
    This is a great comment. I almost always run/commish the leagues I'm in and your league really is as strong as your weakest GM. I brought my 17 year old nephew in on one of my money leagues and asked him if he minded that he run any trade offers by me before accepting. I also informed everyone in the league that he was my nephew so that everything was above board, especially when it came to trading (we've only made two relatively minor deals in the past 3 years). He only really ran things by me for that first year and only to ask about player valuations (is he getting/giving too much/too little) specific to our league. The kid made some mistakes, but if the deal wasn't outrageous, then I let him learn on his own. Now he's winning trades, although he and I differ on players, he's a contributing autonomous member of our league. If I let him get raped on every deal, he'd be sour and maybe not be interested in coming back after a couple years of throwing his money away. The hard part is getting the newbie to trust that you only want to help him learn the ropes and not bend him over the barrel, like all you other sharks out there!

Dobber Sports Deity

But how do you really determine if a GM is weak or just values players differently than other GMs? And how do you go to a guy and tell him he's a weak GM without insulting him?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Very true Axe. You have to either know them or gently inquire about how much experience the guy (or gal) has when they join your league. Otherwise, I back off and let them run their teams the way they see fit.

In one of the money leagues I was in, the commish (not me) rejected a trade due to him not thinking the newbie owner (two women) got enough in return. The deal was Ray Emery for Cam Ward. Trade was rejected by the commish and both parties were told to rework or cancel the deal. The deal got cancelled and Cam Ward went on to win the Conn Smythe that season...Ray Emery...well, not so much!

At the time, I told the commish who was he to play god (so to speak), all knowing when it came to valuing players? I commish my leagues and all I ask is that I understand why both sides made the deal. I am very open and even have it in the rules that I will approve bad trades, but I have to understand why both parties made the deal. It's been a while since anyone has complained about a trade being lopsided in my league and even then, it's usually a case of sour grapes or "I didn't even know he was available, I would have given more" type of thing.