Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: drafting goalies

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default drafting goalies

with stats being 6 to 4 goalies should be highly considered and I really hate the 4 through 8/9th picks as many players can be taken there. If at all possible if you get one of those higher non top 3 picks I would try to trade down to a later 1st and upgrade elsewhere. That being said I believe in a 12 teamer several goalies should be 1st rounders this coming year given the category breakdown.

I still think in a one year league broduer should be the first goalie drafted. He is Mr Consistent, you know what you are getting at the ned of the year 40+ wins gaa of 2.05-2.30 save pct .910 minimum and 5 SO with possibility of 10.

Then I go lundqvist luongo nabokov kipper. They are all safe bets and should be drafted in the top 2 rounds. Price will as well, I just think some will overvalue him in a 1 year league.

brodeur pick 4-10
    lundy 5-12
    luongo same as lundy
    nabby 10-16 depending on how the draft goes
    kipper/fleury mid/bottom 2nd round
    giggy/turco bottom 2nd to mid 3rd

sleepers to consider (in the terms of they arent the big name guys)
    leclaire excellent numbers on an improved team, norrena eats up 25-30 games)
    biron improving philly team settling into role as #1
    Osgood They bring in hossa on the defending championship team...how can they not be at least as good. Expect 55-60 games from him line of 35 wins gaa 2.00-2.20 5 SO 910%+
    Goalie stats being 40% and only relying on 2 and a backup are a premium. Draft them high.
    14th year-12 team-Keep 10 + 5 farm
    C-Larkin, Trochek, Pavelski, Hayes, R Strome
    LW-Huberdeau, Meier, Kreider
    RW-Gaudreau, Rantanen, Radulov, Kyrou
    D-Letang, Hamilton, Carlson, Burns, Giordano
    G-Andersen, Lehner, Jones

IR-Tarasenko

Farm - Vilardi, Newhook, McMichael, Gusev, Holtz

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default drafting goalies

I tried 2 entirely different strategies the past 2 years.

2 years ago I tried drafting winger/defensemen early and going for sleeper goalie picks. That year I ended up doing fairly poorly overall in those leagues.

This past year I went with goalies as my first 2 picks almost every single time and I won a few pools and placed 2nd or 3rd in a few as well.

I HIGHLY suggest going for the gold with the top end goaltenders right off the start,

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default drafting goalies

In this league if you don\'t have top end goalies as Doulos suggests - frankly, you are going to be screwed. You can play footsy with the draft and hope you can cadge a good one in round 3 or 4, but that is a deadly gamble.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default drafting goalies

Rad64 wrote:
    I target an elite tender in round 1 or 2.

In the past I have targeted Brodeur, Kipper, and Luongo with a first round pick. I\'d leave them for other draftee\'s and select a tender in round 2 or 3. The hype on Price is high, so I would expect him to go in Round 1 or 2. If I was drafting late in the round, Price might be an option...even though he is still young. I like his situation better than the big three.

Waiting for Turco or Gigeure in the 3rd and maybe Osgood in the 4th would set you up nice.

Quite often, you can still find a gem in the later rounds to partner with your number 1. I like Garon as a nice late round pick.
    This is a good strategy, as well do you dress 1 or 2 goalies in this league makes a world of difference. I live in Vancouver and find that Canucks generally go too high in most fantasy leagues I am in.

As for Price, I agree that he should not be a 1st round pick, but he might provide 1st round value and I think Turco wont be that far off Luongo as well this year.
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default drafting goalies

I will have to agree with everyone, its essential you get a top end goalie quickly in any league were goalie stats account for 40% of the scoring. picks 1-2 overall wont likely be goalies, 4 and 5 you can debate whether to take heater and Iggy but by pick 6, espescially in a 12 team league its time to take a goalie and I would always debate between Brodeur and Luongo. If you start a run of goalies out of fear by your next pick there will still be great wingers available.
    Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Kesler(IR), RNH
    Wheeler, Franzen, Gagner
    Parise, Benn, Tanguay, Cammalleri
    Pieterangelo, Enstrom(IR),
    Howard, Hiller, Kipper(IR)

12 team H2H, positional requirements, G, A, PPP, PIM, Plus/Minus, GWG, SO, Wins, GAA and Save%.
    1 Year League

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default drafting goalies

Yea, law of averages show that it is easier to make up for the absence of a 2nd round forward on and 10 man skater roster than the absence of a starting goalie on a 2 man goalie roster.

Draft goalies earlier than later - you\'ll have a better chance at winning
    16 Team Limited Keeper:
    LW - D. Sedin, Hall
    C - Malkin, Staal
    RW - Perry, Giroux, Toffoli
    D - Weber, Carlson, Ekman Larsson
    G -Bishop