Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: drafting goalies

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default drafting goalies

In a one year, 12 team H2H league with catgeories G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHG, W, GAA, S%, SO how highly should I value goaltenders? What round should I be looking to take them? Which guys are first round worthy, second round worthy, etc?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default drafting goalies

Early 1st round: Luongo and Lundqvist

Late 1st round:Fleury and Price

Early 2nd rounders:Nabby, Kipper, and Broduer

3rd rounders(or if you need to get a top goalie FAST) :
    Giggy, Miller, Bryz, Turco, Ward

and if these guys are all gone, you might need to draft Leclaire, Dipeitro, Backstrom, Biron..

One year pool, don\'t let Theodore slip to far, playing in Washington he will get wins.

I also like the chances for Osgood and Ellis

Goodluck..
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Default drafting goalies

The way I look at it you need to go with the top 3 (Crosby,AO, Malkin with the top 3 picks) After that you need to draft a goalie Luongo, Lundqvist, Fleury, Price, Nabby, Brodeur, Kipper then you go with forwards again Heatley, Iggy, JT, Vinny.

Hope that helps. I value goalies very high and always take one in the 1st round if I don\'t have a top 3 pick.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default drafting goalies

Kinda also depends on your starting roster, your total roster size, where your draft position is and if you have daily or weekly changes.

Let\'s just say when 40% of your categories are controlled by normally no more than 17% of your starting roster - goalies are pretty important.

I like Zorro\'s analysis but I think he missed on Osgood, league leader in GAA last year and damn fine save percentage - he won almost 70% of his starts. Hasek is gone - Wings don\'t usually rotate goalies although he will get spelled off - so I think Osgood elevates to a 3rd rounder as well as the one\'s Z has suggested. You might well get him cheaper than that and if you can afford to handcuff Conks to him in later rounds, I think you have a heck of a deal.

I do pretty much the same as Crazynuck except I have been known to take 2 goalies in my first two picks if I can\'t have one of the Holy Trinity and creating panic in the draft - there are just so many bonafide starting goalies in a 14 team league and when you start 2 and need at least 3 on your roster - they are valuable. The panic starts and usually overruns itself and then I cherrypick scorers for the next few rounds.

There was a good thread a few days ago you might look at in which Seeds of Grapes and mister_mcgoo debated strategy - recommended reading. http://www.dobberhockey.com/componen.../limitstart,0/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default drafting goalies

grrrr messed that up

Dobber Sports Master

Default drafting goalies

didn\'t see one year.
    add Turco and Osgood to the list.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default drafting goalies

thanks for the help everyone, it sounds like I need to target a goalie in the 1st 2 rounds of my draft and I can start figuring out if I take one in the first when I get my draft position (we haven\'t determined it yet).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default drafting goalies

Im also in a 1 year league and I like to take my goalie in the first or second round. I dont like to go further than that without my first goalie selected or you\'re pretty much screwed. If I have one of the last 2 picks in the 1st round then I like to go elite goalie because I know that my next turn comes very quickly and I\'ll be able to scoop up a top flight winger.

If im in the top 5 of a draft I go with the \"money in the bank winger\"(Crosby,Ovechkin,Malkin & Thornton types), then I look for my goalie. There is almost always top flight goalies in the second round in my league so I try to get one of each: a top goalie & top winger. I think that should be a pretty common theme for 1 year leagues.

In terms of goalie placement, I think it should go(not necessarily in this order):

1st round(early or late): Lundqvist,Nabokov,Luongo & the occasional Brodeur lover.

2nd round(early):Turco,Jiggy,Kipper,Fleury,Osgood,Back strom
    2nd round(late): Dipietro,Price,Miller,Ward

*Remember, these are just my opinion on who\'s the best of the best given their team & ability. Hope it helps.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default drafting goalies

Early 1st round: Luongo and Lundqvist

Late 1st round:Fleury and Price

Early 2nd rounders:Nabby, Kipper, and Broduer

3rd rounders(or if you need to get a top goalie FAST) :
    Giggy, Miller, Bryz, Turco, Ward
    Price is not a first rounder in a one year league, but Nabokov and Brodeur definetly are!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default drafting goalies

I\'m not even sure if Luongo would be an early first rounder..... that Vancouver team looks like a Tavares competitor more than a play-off contender. Granted, he will play almost every game, so it\'s not far off the mark. I think Lundqvist, Nabakov, Kipper, Broduer are the top 4. Luongo, Fleury and Turco are the next tier.
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Banned

Default drafting goalies

abiguy wrote:
    I\'m not even sure if Luongo would be an early first rounder..... that Vancouver team looks like a Tavares competitor more than a play-off contender. Granted, he will play almost every game, so it\'s not far off the mark. I think Lundqvist, Nabakov, Kipper, Broduer are the top 4. Luongo, Fleury and Turco are the next tier.
    forgive my Lunongo love for a moment but he really is the cream of the crop, I posted this in another thread but the gist of it is that the defense in front of him in Vancouver is far superior to what he had in FL, but while he was in FL he still had great numbers:

-the 5 seasons he was there the team was awful, missing the playoffs every year while posting seasons of 66, 60, 70, 75, 85
    -during that period he faced 30+ shots per game
    -his lowest s% was still .914 (highest was .931!)
    -averaged over 5 SOs per year

Dobber Sports Stud

Default drafting goalies

Vancouver will have a better year and Luongo is worthy of first round consideration.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default drafting goalies

I\'d still stick with Luongo as a first rounder. As has been pointed out already, he\'s been on some pretty crappy teams and has still put up some really good numbers. Plus, he plays a ton so he should be among the league leaders in wins every year.

He\'s a top 3 goalie in the league most years and should never dip below the top 5 any year for the forseeable future in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default drafting goalies

I target an elite tender in round 1 or 2.

In the past I have targeted Brodeur, Kipper, and Luongo with a first round pick. I\'d leave them for other draftee\'s and select a tender in round 2 or 3. The hype on Price is high, so I would expect him to go in Round 1 or 2. If I was drafting late in the round, Price might be an option...even though he is still young. I like his situation better than the big three.

Waiting for Turco or Gigeure in the 3rd and maybe Osgood in the 4th would set you up nice.

Quite often, you can still find a gem in the later rounds to partner with your number 1. I like Garon as a nice late round pick.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default drafting goalies

Rad64 wrote:
    The hype on Price is high, so I would expect him to go in Round 1 or 2.
    I think that is mostly from people in keeper leagues.